Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is leaking oil. We rode about thirty-five miles and left the bike for about an hour. When we got back to ride, there was a small oil pool, about two inches across. This is the second time this has happened. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know where it's coming from. Any suggestions? Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
There should be some signs of where its coming from.....can you get your head under there and look?...

·
Registered
652 Posts
There are a few common places it can come from.The oil filter,oil cooler (next to the filter) ,drain plug - any of these not installed correctly.Loose or stripped threads.
The output shaft (counter shaft) oil seal is damaged.
The clutch cover,right hand crankcase cover, the alternator cover or the oil pan - any of these has a leaking gasket.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Sometimes a leak can make such a mess that it can be hard to pinpoint the source. If there is oil in several places, clean everything up as best you can and then ride the bike for a bit and check again.

Keep a close eye on the oil level and top off as necessary until you can determine the source of the leak.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Positive it is not excess fuel form the vent lines? Did you visually inspect it to make sure it is oil? If there are no visible spots on the motor weeping it could also be chain lube/grease that breaks down when it gets real hot outside and drips. Where is the spot showing up when the bike is parked?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I recently had a puddle of gas but thanks to the forum I found it was from those lines... Hopefully yours is the same Jen. Like you said, it isn't a harley

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine has a very small puddle under it after it sat in the hot shop for the past week, maybe 2" wide and the hubby said it was from the vent tube

·
Registered
619 Posts
if you can't tell where the oil is coming from, clean the bottom of the engine really well, and dry it thoroughly. Then take a can of tinactin, or some other kind of athletes foot spray, and spray the bottom of the engine until it's white all over. you'll be able to tell where the leak is coming from soon enough.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is oil. I didn't notice it in my garage. Both times were in a parking lot, after we walked around for a while. I'll look at it again tomorrow. I couldn't tell where it was coming from in the parking lot. I'll see if anything is wet tomorrow on the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts