Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have installed stainless brake lines on every bike I owned. But given that, I will not rush to replace the brake lines on the fz-09. My experience is that the 'improved feel' is largely illusionary. This bike stops just fine with the stock, rubber lines. Replace the stock lines in two year with stainless lines, but throwing away the new, stock lines for new stainless lines is stupid. If you have more money than you know what to with go ahead. Read the bike magazines if you like, but realize threat main purpose is to get you to buy stuff you don't need. Flame away.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm not changing them out because of something I read.
Based on your comment, the stock suspension is fine too. Yeah it's fine, but spending $125 on a set of decent springs for your weight, and riding style will greatly improve the bike, and the enjoyment you get out of it.

I change them because the stock ones will deteriorate over time with out really being noticed.
Yes it's a bit early, but I will have to do it sooner or later. Besides, $100 for a full set of front lines is not expensive, and winter here is long, and I'm not missing any riding time

If it makes you feel any better, I waited two years, and 40xxx km for my other bike lines to get changed out. So I saved some money there:p
http://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/tenere-stainless-steel-line-upgrade/

thanks for your opinion...

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
OK, on some bikes I have waited a couple of years to upgrade the lines, but I have amazing feel on my Honda brakes and they are not even radial calipers, so I wanted every ounce of improvement on the front brake of the FZ. I brake hard enough to lift the back tire going in deep to set up a turn. EBC HH sintered pads waiting to be put on as I type.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, on some bikes I have waited a couple of years to upgrade the lines, but I have amazing feel on my Honda brakes and they are not even radial calipers, so I wanted every ounce of improvement on the front brake of the FZ. I brake hard enough to lift the back tire going in deep to set up a turn. EBC HH sintered pads waiting to be put on as I type.
I'll be sticking to stock pads.
my last outing with EBC pads, destroyed my rear disk on my super tenere. Not sure if it was the dirt, or just the pad was too aggressive for the disk brake, that and the fact that I killed the rear pads in less than 8xxx km. The rear stockers lasted 25xxx km before needing replacement.
On that bike, the stock pads will do fine. Time will tell on the FZ, but i'll prob. stick to OEM stuff.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I have been running the EBC HH pads on my CBR for 12 years without any problems to the original rotors. I only run them on the front. I may have changed the stock rear pads once in those 12 years, and went with stock. Dirt is a different story, I use up rear pads on off-road bikes constantly because I tend to trail brake as I am gassing it out of the turns to keep the bike settled and on line. It preloads the rear suspension to help the bike hook up better too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the rear brake is used extensively on my tenere, and I'm sure the grit does not help.
The full lines will def. help on that bike. The front line alone is 125" inches long (master to abs pump, abs pump to left caliper, left caliper to right caliper). All mixed with rubber, steel tubing, back to rubber.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
... I change them because the stock ones will deteriorate over time with out really being noticed.
Yes it's a bit early, but I will have to do it sooner or later. Besides, $100 for a full set of front lines is not expensive, and winter here is long, and I'm not missing any riding time...
Ditto! On two wheels, consistent and predictable performance is paramount. While it's true the rider will adapt over time, wouldn't you rather maintain your bikes' performance over the long haul? My brother has an all original (less cam chain) 1982 XJ750J. I've had the distinction of driving it on several occasions throughout the years. I have no words for how the brakes on that machine have changed, even within the first few years. Currently, even thou they don't leak and the lines are not cracked, I would consider them unsafe...thankfully the bike has been parked pending restoration. It may be a little (ok, a lot) early per the maintenance schedule, but prevention is never a bad thing. Just my thoughts... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts