Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Damping will not change sag if you just twiddle the adjusters with the bike on a stand. But when you are checking sag, loading/unloading the suspension, it does affect the measurements.
I understand this. I always bounce the suspension after making adjustments/measurements. I'm thinking that the "dampening affecting the preload" thing might come down to stiction mentioned above. Bouncing the bike after say, cranking the rebound up, could theoretically slow the movement enough to show a different measurement. Is everyone taking stiction into account?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here is my take for the 21 sp

Front is too soft. Had the preload cranked all the way down to get the proper sag

Rear is too stiff. Had to loosen it all the way to the left and barely got some sag.

43mm sag front
40-41mm sag in the rear for my settings

I weigh 160 with gear

·
Registered
2022 MT-09 SP
55 Posts
Here is my take for the 21 sp

Front is too soft. Had the preload cranked all the way down to get the proper sag

Rear is too stiff. Had to loosen it all the way to the left and barely got some sag.

43mm sag front
40-41mm sag in the rear for my settings

I weigh 160 with gear
Really strange. I weigh 145 without gear (so right about the same as you) and I have a 22 SP. With front preload at minimum, I get 40 mm of rider sag. With rear preload at minimum, I get 25 mm of rider sag. So, I agree the rear spring is too stiff (for me), but the fork springs are barely soft enough.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
I have to disagree. The damping circuit can't support the weight of the bike in any way. It'd be like removing a shock absorber from a car and worrying about the vehicle collapsing. The springs alone hold the car up, the shocks just dampen their movements. Preload position and spring rate are the only things that affect sag measurements. Well, there's stiction, but you don't use preload or spring rates to overcome stiction. It's an issue of it's own. If you have stiction issues it'll show up in your sag measurements, but damping circuits are completely separate from controls sag.
OK, it's impossible. But I saw it and measured it multiple times with vernier calipers because I didn't think it could happen either, and so has our vastly experienced suspension tuner for many/most of our best racers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Own a 2021 MT09SP (2200miles) - I've just got a motool slacker suspension adjuster tool and it seems to confirm what I felt with the riding - that the forks are sprung very soft and the shock quite hard, as if the springs for the front are meant for a very light rider and the spring for the back is meant for a heavier one. ie. factory settings don't seem to work properly for anyone. Most people are going to have to add preload on the front forks in my opinion.

I do the adjustments with between 1/2 to 3/4 tank as that's probably the most common weight for the bike to be. Also do it after a good ride as you want the oil in the suspension to be warm (this really does make a difference to the results).

The rear is actually nearly pretty good for me at 170-175lbs in gear, with no rear preload set. I do have an SW-Motech street rack fitted though which adds probably 10lbs over the rear even without the bag.
REAR = 122mm travel, so aiming for about 30-40mm rider sag (1/4 - 1/3 travel). I'm at 32mm rider sag and 7mm static sag which seems pretty close, although ideally I think I'd be a bit heavier for the spring.

FRONT = 130mm travel, so aiming for 43mm rider sag (1/3 travel). I'm at 46mm rider sag with the preload wound in to make the fourth ring line just disappearing which is still probably not quite enough, although I'm being very slow and cautious in adding more preload now and riding to feel the change. Odd thing is that static sag is at 30mm which seems way too much, don't really know why that is. Obvs more preload would help that.

Still playing about with preload so not done too much damping fine tuning but this is what I’m running at the moment.

My Full Settings
FORKS:
Preload: turn until 4th line not visible
Rebound: std
Hi Comp: std (going to try full soft at some point as fast bumps can be harsh)
Lo Comp: 6 (combined with the preload it’s night and day in stopping fast fork dive on hard braking - also flipped the bar risers to move the bar higher and away from me which defo has helped feeling more locked into the bike on hard braking)

SHOCK:
Preload: std (none)
Comp: 15 (less damping to try and remove some harshness over bumps)

Standard Settings
FORKS (130mm travel):
Preload: H=4mm STD=15mm S=19mm
Rebound: H=1 STD=15 S=26
Hi Comp: H=0 STD=3.25 S=5.5
Lo Comp: H=1 STD=12 S=18

SHOCK (122mm travel):
Preload: H=146mm STD=154mm S=154mm
Rebound: H=0 STD=18 S=30
Comp: H=0 STD=10 S=20

·
Registered
3 Posts
Own a 2021 MT09SP (2200miles) - I've just got a motool slacker suspension adjuster tool and it seems to confirm what I felt with the riding - that the forks are sprung very soft and the shock quite hard, as if the springs for the front are meant for a very light rider and the spring for the back is meant for a heavier one. ie. factory settings don't seem to work properly for anyone. Most people are going to have to add preload on the front forks in my opinion.

I do the adjustments with between 1/2 to 3/4 tank as that's probably the most common weight for the bike to be. Also do it after a good ride as you want the oil in the suspension to be warm (this really does make a difference to the results).

The rear is actually nearly pretty good for me at 170-175lbs in gear, with no rear preload set. I do have an SW-Motech street rack fitted though which adds probably 10lbs over the rear even without the bag.
REAR = 122mm travel, so aiming for about 30-40mm rider sag (1/4 - 1/3 travel). I'm at 32mm rider sag and 7mm static sag which seems pretty close, although ideally I think I'd be a bit heavier for the spring.

FRONT = 130mm travel, so aiming for 43mm rider sag (1/3 travel). I'm at 46mm rider sag with the preload wound in to make the fourth ring line just disappearing which is still probably not quite enough, although I'm being very slow and cautious in adding more preload now and riding to feel the change. Odd thing is that static sag is at 30mm which seems way too much, don't really know why that is. Obvs more preload would help that.

Still playing about with preload so not done too much damping fine tuning but this is what I’m running at the moment.

My Full Settings
FORKS:
Preload: turn until 4th line not visible
Hi Comp: std (going to try full soft at some point as fast bumps can be harsh)
Lo Comp: 6 (combined with the preload it’s night and day in stopping fast fork dive on hard braking - also flipped the bar risers to move the bar higher and away from me which defo has helped feeling more locked into the bike on hard braking)

SHOCK:
Preload: std (none)
Comp: 15 (less damping to try and remove some harshness over bumps)

Standard Settings
FORKS (130mm travel):
Preload: H=4mm STD=15mm S=19mm
Rebound: H=1 STD=15 S=26
Hi Comp: H=0 STD=3.25 S=5.5
Lo Comp: H=1 STD=12 S=18

SHOCK (122mm travel):
Preload: H=146mm STD=154mm S=154mm
Rebound: H=0 STD=18 S=30
Comp: H=0 STD=10 S=20
Hey so I tested your settings since I am similiar weight, and since I was stuck setting suspension myself. Just returned from a test ride, well ... I was getting quiet a bit of front wheel wobble on hard acceleration. Anyways, after returning home and testing front bounce I found it double bouncing with your setting and hot oil ( Dave Moss method of bouncing), Had to slow down rebound to 9 clicks in front to have no double bounce.

Disclaimer: I had no chance to test hard cornering with this adjustment. On stock MT09SP 2022 setup I felt like rear while was trying to drift to the outside direction of the turn and that scared me haha. That's why I dived into actually changing the suspension.

I also have to add that I am EXTREMELY dissapointed and sad with the suspension this bike has, and I wish I had chosen base model. Because this thing will have to be resprung anyways ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey so I tested your settings since I am similiar weight, and since I was stuck setting suspension myself. Just returned from a test ride, well ... I was getting quiet a bit of front wheel wobble on hard acceleration. Anyways, after returning home and testing front bounce I found it double bouncing with your setting and hot oil ( Dave Moss method of bouncing), Had to slow down rebound to 9 clicks in front to have no double bounce.

Disclaimer: I had no chance to test hard cornering with this adjustment. On stock MT09SP 2022 setup I felt like rear while was trying to drift to the outside direction of the turn and that scared me haha. That's why I dived into actually changing the suspension.

I also have to add that I am EXTREMELY dissapointed and sad with the suspension this bike has, and I wish I had chosen base model. Because this thing will have to be resprung anyways ...
Rebound on the front is the only thing I haven’t touched because I don’t actually have a tool that can fit below the bars at the moment, as i moved the bar position and it covers the adjusters. But will see if I get the same wobble. Haven’t been doing much fast riding as I’ve been touring. I’ve changed my settings a bit again but mainly to deal with luggage on the rear.
If you’re getting wheel wobble maybe try removing preload from the front or add it to the rear. Still think it’s worth having the SP even if does require a respring tbh, but I’m probably going to get a suspension tech to look at mine for a 2nd opinion as I’m not an expert.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You guys think I could remove preinstalled preload on the ohlins shock to get even less preload than 0. To get some static sag ? I can literally get 0 static, even with rebound at 1.... Dave Moss on the other hand in his SP 2021 tuning video got static by making rebound slower I think setting 3 or 5 I dont remember. I guess 2021 had different spring than 2022.

·
Registered
2022 MT-09 SP
55 Posts
You guys think I could remove preinstalled preload on the ohlins shock to get even less preload than 0. To get some static sag ? I can literally get 0 static, even with rebound at 1.... Dave Moss on the other hand in his SP 2021 tuning video got static by making rebound slower I think setting 3 or 5 I dont remember. I guess 2021 had different spring than 2022.
If you want to change sag, you should change preload (not damping adjusters). To get a bit of rear static sag and more rider sag, I swapped the spring for an 85 (down from the stock 90 Nm).

·
Registered
391 Posts
The '21 and 22 SP shocks have the same part number, so same springs.

In that same Dave Moss video (Intro Test & Tune), scroll down to the comment by Cliff Barrimore, Dave Moss replies how the preload assembly can be raised on the shock body to reduce installed preload, but this requires shock and spring removal. If you have a spring compressor, you can probably do this yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh well, I thought it was going to be simpler. But there is some free space left… So I guess I could try to find somebody to remove a bit of preinstalled preload for me. If that doesn’t help I will change spring, also I will put thicker oil in forks since front is soft and I have compression mostly in the lower numbers so It’s not going to last long.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
The '21 and 22 SP shocks have the same part number, so same springs.

In that same Dave Moss video (Intro Test & Tune), scroll down to the comment by Cliff Barrimore, Dave Moss replies how the preload assembly can be raised on the shock body to reduce installed preload, but this requires shock and spring removal. If you have a spring compressor, you can probably do this yourself.
You don't need compressor.You have to remove it from the bike.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oh well, I thought it was going to be simpler. But there is some free space left… So I guess I could try to find somebody to remove a bit of preinstalled preload for me. If that doesn’t help I will change spring, also I will put thicker oil in forks since front is soft and I have compression mostly in the lower numbers so It’s not going to last long.
Front and rear spring rates are mismatched, fronts are too soft. Even worse on the base MT-09 as its rear spring is even stiffer than the SP's.
You'll probably want to go to 8-8.5 N/mm springs up front.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You don't need compressor.You have to remove it from the bike.
You need to do both. You can't tell from that pic asimerikt posted, but the whole preload assembly sits on another inner collar, that you can't access unless you remove the assembly, which requires spring removal. And to remove the spring, a spring compressor is required since the other end of the spring is on a perch, and not a threaded collar.

Dave Moss had a video from a few years back where he replaced a defective hydraulic preload adjuster with a threaded collar. It shows what needs to be done....I'll see if I can find it.

Edit - Found the video:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
It needs preload to secure the spring in it's cups. Don't run zero or less.

·
Registered
2022 MT-09 SP
55 Posts
A new Ohlins spring is only $100. If you're going to go to the trouble of removing the shock and taking it to a shop with a spring compressor, why not do the job right and swap the spring?

101 - 118 of 118 Posts