Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, bought my sp 2 months ago, started tweeking it's suspension nowadays. Front sag is 25mm stock, rear is around 30-ish. Im 85-90kg/200lbs in gear, so above average a bit. First of all, dont know how to increase the front sag, maybe drop the forks a couple tenths of an inch down the triple tree? Secondly, the rear OEM Öhlins shock doesn't have any static sag AT ALL, even with hydraulic adjuster to the minimum, compression and rebound all the way in or out, no matter what, static sag (when picking up the bike with your hands to the air a bit) is ZERO. Is this normal?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mine is the 335 Ohlins and have the same spring with yours.At 230lbs mine works best at 11mm preload and open 3 clicks the rebound.Free length 170mm.Don't drop the forks.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I assume you're referring to rider sag?
The front should be 40 - 45mm, if you can't back off the preload anymore, your springs are too stiff.
30mm is a bit stiff for the rear too, it should be 35 - 38mm. You could check what the installed preload on the rear spring is, it should be 5 - 12mm from the springs free length.
In case you don't know. Installed preload is the amount of preload put onto the spring via the retaining collars when assembling the shock, this is with the preload adjustment backed right off.
I only have 7mm static sag on the rear.
Remember to set sag figures with the normal damping settings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume you're referring to rider sag?
The front should be 40 - 45mm, if you can't back off the preload anymore, your springs are too stiff.
30mm is a bit stiff for the rear too, it should be 35 - 38mm. You could check what the installed preload on the rear spring is, it should be 5 - 12mm from the springs free length.
In case you don't know. Installed preload is the amount of preload put onto the spring via the retaining collars when assembling the shock, this is with the preload adjustment backed right off.
I only have 7mm static sag on the rear.
Remember to set sag figures with the normal damping settings.
rider sag is the one mentioned above as 25mm for the front and 30-35-ish to the rear. Thing is, that with 25 on the front, it still almost bottoms out on the track. The rear however, has almost zero static sag, yeah, 7mm as yours also probably, which is A LOT less than it is recommended for example in Dave Moss-videos. Is it possible that the stock Öhlins doesnt allow any static sag on the rear? The front has great static sag, and its Kayaba-branded. Oh and no matter how much I turn the hydraulic preload adjuster on the back, the rider sag stays the same always. Anything im doing wrong?

·
Registered
142 Posts
rider sag is the one mentioned above as 25mm for the front and 30-35-ish to the rear. Thing is, that with 25 on the front, it still almost bottoms out on the track. The rear however, has almost zero static sag, yeah, 7mm as yours also probably, which is A LOT less than it is recommended for example in Dave Moss-videos. Is it possible that the stock Öhlins doesnt allow any static sag on the rear? The front has great static sag, and its Kayaba-branded. Oh and no matter how much I turn the hydraulic preload adjuster on the back, the rider sag stays the same always. Anything im doing wrong?
It doesn't sound right to have the bike with less sag in front. It would make the steering slow

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is a thread i started with same problem. I replaced spring collar. For 90 kg 95 N/mm shock spring in stock SP is to soft. Stock springs on forks on SP is to soft for track. I can sell you 10 N/mm k tech springs for 50€, im in CRO.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
OK, this does not make sense. Here's what I've got, compare to yours, I'm 87kg's;
Front .88kg/mm springs, 130mm oil level, static sag - 29mm, rider sag 41mm, travel - 123mm out of 137 total (hard braking)
Rear 550lbs/in spring, 7mm static sag, 37mm rider sag, installed preload 10mm.
These figures are in line with what is recommended for street use by most suspension experts.
My brother has an SP and his stock figures are very similar, he's 76kg's.
It sounds like your preload adjuster is not working, you should see the adjuster move the collar as you wind it in.
Dave Moss recommends 10 - 15mm static sag at the rear.
Just to confirm we are using the same phraseology, Static sag is just the weight of the bike compressing the suspension, rider sag is you on it , full weight, no toes down.
And these have to be accurately measured. No offence, but you use words like probably, which makes me wonder how accurate your measurements are.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your spring rates are too light. To get static in the ball park you need to add some spring rate so you can get some.

Fully adjustable doesnt mean what you think it does. LOL

·
Registered
MT09 ABS
33 Posts
Ohlins YA535 is the shock of MT09 SP;
The shock has 14mm of installed preload and Ohlins claim 10mm of static sag, but It's not what you mesure on the bike... The actual static sag is ZERO, period.

You could take down the shock and undo the upper ring to loose all the installed preload possible (about 1,5mm), then you'll have the chance to try out the bike with minimum preload and see IF the rider sag is OK and IF you can manage it by adding only A LITTLE preload in order to have A LITTLE static at least (about 5-7mm is the goal).
If your weight is in the right range to obtain a correct rider sag, you'll be fine.

I have that shock and I'm 84kg full geard up... I had to swap the spring from 95N/mm to 90N/mm because I felt the rear too stiff on bumpy road, but I don't think it will work for you as I don't do track riding and your weight is also a little higher

·
Registered
201 Posts
Even the OEM Kayaba shock does not have sag at stock setting 4th groove.The Ohlins generally have stiffer harder feel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a thread i started with same problem. I replaced spring collar. For 90 kg 95 N/mm shock spring in stock SP is to soft. Stock springs on forks on SP is to soft for track. I can sell you 10 N/mm k tech springs for 50€, im in CRO.
Uff I have just returned to this thread, after a nasty crash in September at the track. Bike is ok tho. Hmm, springs still up for sale? Maybe u have some rear springs also by any chance?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ohlins YA535 is the shock of MT09 SP;
The shock has 14mm of installed preload and Ohlins claim 10mm of static sag, but It's not what you mesure on the bike... The actual static sag is ZERO, period.

You could take down the shock and undo the upper ring to loose all the installed preload possible (about 1,5mm), then you'll have the chance to try out the bike with minimum preload and see IF the rider sag is OK and IF you can manage it by adding only A LITTLE preload in order to have A LITTLE static at least (about 5-7mm is the goal).
If your weight is in the right range to obtain a correct rider sag, you'll be fine.

I have that shock and I'm 84kg full geard up... I had to swap the spring from 95N/mm to 90N/mm because I felt the rear too stiff on bumpy road, but I don't think it will work for you as I don't do track riding and your weight is also a little higher
Aaha! So its basically "normal". At the track, when coming out of turns and the rear shock releases the energy, it tops out so fast because of the lack of slack that I start drifting eeevery single time. Now knowing that it cant be helped, Im gonna add more rebound damping to compensate the lack of free/static sag lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your spring rates are too light. To get static in the ball park you need to add some spring rate so you can get some.

Fully adjustable doesnt mean what you think it does. LOL
Yeah I was afraid of that also, but even with this light spring and zeeero preload I still didnt have any static sag. But as SLM13 said, Öhlins has made fake claims about the supposed 10mm free sag, which is 0 in real life.

·
Registered
MT09 ABS
33 Posts
You could try out longer dogbones (range: +2 mm / + 4 mm): you should find the missing static (no more drifting out of corners and other important benefits); cons: the rear lift up (+6mm / + 12 mm), the link progression will be steeper (maybe a little less shcck preload it will be needed, to compensate), chain slack has to be adjusted because it will increase quite a bit, the wheelbase it will shorten a bit too..

Personally I wouldn't go out of the +2/+4 mm range and I woulndn't go for a stiffer shock spring either if you're 90kg because Ohlins spring seems to be on the stiff side.

Another option could be buying a shorter Ohlins spring spacer for the bottom of the shock: it could bring the knob adjuster in a more proper range, so that it could be used and not being pretty much useless as long as it has to sit turned completely out

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could try out longer dogbones (range: +2 mm / + 4 mm): you should find the missing static (no more drifting out of corners and other important benefits); cons: the rear lift up (+6mm / + 12 mm), the link progression will be steeper (maybe a little less shcck preload it will be needed, to compensate), chain slack has to be adjusted because it will increase quite a bit, the wheelbase it will shorten a bit too..

Personally I wouldn't go out of the +2/+4 mm range and I woulndn't go for a stiffer shock spring either if you're 90kg because Ohlins spring seems to be on the stiff side.

Another option could be buying a shorter Ohlins spring spacer for the bottom of the shock: it could bring the knob adjuster in a more proper range, so that it could be used and not being pretty much useless as long as it has to sit turned completely out
Im already running 200/65.5 V02 slicks in the rear, that lifted the rear a bit but not enough, went with 20mm jack up dogbone kit, and now im going with the 40mm jack up kit and 180/60 tire and dropped the front 4mm. Im gonna test it out, how it feels, so far so good. The front end was just reaaaally moving about, like before corners with speeds above 140-150kmh at national size circuits, I had to close the throttle rapidly to put more weight on the front so the geometry would allow me to actually take the turn, I hope this now eliminates that problem.

I also dont mind the rear lifting up, as im a 194cm guy, and came from a gixxer 1000 trackbike with suuper tall rear end.

Additionally, with the MT I always find myself dragging the stock exhaust headers and the stator cover (stock pegs completely dissapeared after 2-3 trackdays, I can attach a photo or something). So lifting up the rear should help a bit with that too/more ground clearence.

Also, where could I get that spring spacer you are talking about?

·
Registered
MT09 ABS
33 Posts
Wow man ... You do need more ground clearance!

For the spacer, just email Zaira that sort it out with Ohlins so mybe he could give you the part number

Im already running 200/65.5 V02 slicks in the rear, that lifted the rear a bit but not enough, went with 20mm jack up dogbone kit, and now im going with the 40mm jack up kit and 180/60 tire and dropped the front 4mm. Im gonna test it out, how it feels, so far so good. The front end was just reaaaally moving about, like before corners with speeds above 140-150kmh at national size circuits, I had to close the throttle rapidly to put more weight on the front so the geometry would allow me to actually take the turn, I hope this now eliminates that problem.

I also dont mind the rear lifting up, as im a 194cm guy, and came from a gixxer 1000 trackbike with suuper tall rear end.

Additionally, with the MT I always find myself dragging the stock exhaust headers and the stator cover (stock pegs completely dissapeared after 2-3 trackdays, I can attach a photo or something). So lifting up the rear should help a bit with that too/more ground clearence.

Also, where could I get that spring spacer you are talking about?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow man ... You do need more ground clearance!

For the spacer, just email Zaira that sort it out with Ohlins so mybe he could give you the part number
Haha when Im at the track im always going full retard lolol.
Here is a pic of my footpegs.
Okey Im gonna text him, thank you mate!
28AE38E9-9209-449C-980E-EE140F8F3AD4.jpeg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts