Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
116 Posts
Mine went pretty quickly and I usually am not soft on break in anyway so it didn't have such a great impact on my riding ☺...💯
Exactly, break it in the way you're going to ride it. I had about 500 miles in the first 6 days on my bike lmao. It's slowed down quite a bit since then, I've had the bike since May 29th and it's got a little past 3000miles on it so far.

It's going to need another oil change soon though, because I like to baby the engine in all aspects excluding absolutely beating on it

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
600 miles service done yesterday and I've already done 185 miles since then ... Runs great and now I've managed to get past 9k mark ... This is a very rapid bike and I love the way she handles... Have taken a bit of rebound out and put the preload higher in the back ... Better turn in and smoother over bumps.. will need to get a shop to set it up for me properly...
Here are some shots from today ..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I have take the leap and ordered a full system exhaust from Mivv. Couldn't resist the temptation for long...

Sounds fantastic and has the option to retrofit a euro 5 cat .
Never going to happen in my ownership..mostly interested in the weight saving and a bit of sound and performance... Thoughts ?
Aleks

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,311 Posts
It seems like bikes sold in the UK/Aus/Japan, etc., should have their kickstands on the right, for when you have to park on the shoulder of the road. They make right-hand-drive cars for these markets, so how hard could it be to move the kickstand over? 😛

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
It seems like bikes sold in the UK/Aus/Japan, etc., should have their kickstands on the right, for when you have to park on the shoulder of the road. They make right hand-drive-cars for these markets, so how hard could it be to move the kickstand over? 😛
They can't be asked really..it's the left hand market that dominates the mass production... 😀

·
Registered
209 Posts
It seems like bikes sold in the UK/Aus/Japan, etc., should have their kickstands on the right, for when you have to park on the shoulder of the road. They make right-hand-drive cars for these markets, so how hard could it be to move the kickstand over? 😛
Look at the firestorm of controversy that happened when Yamaha swapped the turn signal and horn button locations....whaddaya think will happen if they put the sidestand on the other side? LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi
I picked my SP up on the 21st August & it's just 4 days old. I love this bike i swapped the ER6f & graduated to the lovely MT09 SP.

I'm as keen as mustard as to what you do with your bike & will be copying some of your ideas if you don't mind. I'd post pics of my baby but what's the point, my bikes exactly the same as yours & your locations are great.

I don't think i'll bother with an aftermarket exhaust, i do like them but i'm done with the noise & besides i think the standard exhaust doesn't sound too bad. Plus you'll probably need a ECU flash.

I shall leave all the power plant standard & go up the route of bling & accessories. I'm going to get some crash protection, rubber tank pads, screen, tail tidy, seat cowl & anything else interesting that comes out.

I've done 388 miles since Saturday trying to run her in but i must confess i've let her rip once or twice only briefly after she's been thoroughly warmed up. Oh lordy does she fly, she squirms as she gets traction under intense acceleration, got to be careful on this bike. But on the other side of the coin she's very well mannered at low speeds through the traffic & around town, not jerky at all & very flickable & easy to ride. I took the MT out on a few routes i used to like riding on my ER6 & the MT went round all the bends & curves so much better than the ER6.

I've experimented with the 4 modes & traction control settings, that was fun. Today i gave mode 4 a good trial, it's rather nice in certain situations like narrow B roads strewn with gravel, puddles & moss growing down the middle, you can feel all the features of the traction control cutting in & see the little light on the dash coming on just so you know the TC has cut in. I went back up the lanes the other way in mode 2. Of course the TC kept interacting but mode 2 throttle response was a bit twitchy for the situation. Mode 4 was best.

I tried mode 1 all TC features switched off, got to 40 in 2nd & braced myself for a rolling start & let rip on a wide empty straight flicking up the box using the quick shifter & nearly shat myself. Woo-hoo what a adrenalin rush, it launches itself, the quick shifter works a treat, seamless gear changes at full throttle, its amazing, best gadget ever. Its great changing down too, clutch-less seamless gear changes, how wonderful.

I'm planning on making an appointment at FTR Suspension & get weighed, quizzed on my riding style & then having the suspension set up perfectly, could be 100 or so quid well spent.

Regards
Toecutter.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Hi
I picked my SP up on the 21st August & it's just 4 days old. I love this bike i swapped the ER6f & graduated to the lovely MT09 SP.

I'm as keen as mustard as to what you do with your bike & will be copying some of your ideas if you don't mind. I'd post pics of my baby but what's the point, my bikes exactly the same as yours & your locations are great.

I don't think i'll bother with an aftermarket exhaust, i do like them but i'm done with the noise & besides i think the standard exhaust doesn't sound too bad. Plus you'll probably need a ECU flash.

I shall leave all the power plant standard & go up the route of bling & accessories. I'm going to get some crash protection, rubber tank pads, screen, tail tidy, seat cowl & anything else interesting that comes out.

I've done 388 miles since Saturday trying to run her in but i must confess i've let her rip once or twice only briefly after she's been thoroughly warmed up. Oh lordy does she fly, she squirms as she gets traction under intense acceleration, got to be careful on this bike. But on the other side of the coin she's very well mannered at low speeds through the traffic & around town, not jerky at all & very flickable & easy to ride. I took the MT out on a few routes i used to like riding on my ER6 & the MT went round all the bends & curves so much better than the ER6.

I've experimented with the 4 modes & traction control settings, that was fun. Today i gave mode 4 a good trial, it's rather nice in certain situations like narrow B roads strewn with gravel, puddles & moss growing down the middle, you can feel all the features of the traction control cutting in & see the little light on the dash coming on just so you know the TC has cut in. I went back up the lanes the other way in mode 2. Of course the TC kept interacting but mode 2 throttle response was a bit twitchy for the situation. Mode 4 was best.

I tried mode 1 all TC features switched off, got to 40 in 2nd & braced myself for a rolling start & let rip on a wide empty straight flicking up the box using the quick shifter & nearly shat myself. Woo-hoo what a adrenalin rush, it launches itself, the quick shifter works a treat, seamless gear changes at full throttle, its amazing, best gadget ever. Its great changing down too, clutch-less seamless gear changes, how wonderful.

I'm planning on making an appointment at FTR Suspension & get weighed, quizzed on my riding style & then having the suspension set up perfectly, could be 100 or so quid well spent.

Regards
Toecutter.
Glad you like the bike and enjoy riding the Mt09... Plan on getting out this weekend... Ftr have transformed my bike and how well it handles and behaves...
Was worth every penny ... I've added these to the forks just to cover up any small scratches from the spanner ...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Precisely how good this bike is when it comes to handling I'm unable to express in words but I will give it a shot... I'm so comfortable riding it and it feels so stable and rapid to change direction its amazing ... Braking late and using that crazy ass downblipper is just pure joy and you can attack the apex with confidence... Pure bliss.
I'm sure they will make a sportbike with this chassis and engine ..not for me but it will be a huge succes.
For the first time since I own the bike I started pushing harder and using the engine all the way up to 10k, puts a smile on your face each time and so smooth ... Yesterday's ride was dry and I managed 120 miles .. please see pictures below and let me know what you think.
Aleks

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
116 Posts
Precisely how good this bike is when it comes to handling I'm unable to express in words but I will give it a shot... I'm so comfortable riding it and it feels so stable and rapid to change direction its amazing ... Braking late and using that crazy ass downblipper is just pure joy and you can attack the apex with confidence... Pure bliss.
I'm sure they will make a sportbike with this chassis and engine ..not for me but it will be a huge succes.
For the first time since I own the bike I started pushing harder and using the engine all the way up to 10k, puts a smile on your face each time and so smooth ... Yesterday's ride was dry and I managed 120 miles .. please see pictures below and let me know what you think.
Aleks View attachment 166787 View attachment 166788 View attachment 166789 View attachment 166790 View attachment 166791 View attachment 166792 View attachment 166793
Damn. Why don't my bike look like that?

·
Registered
59 Posts
She's looking good & your pics are great.

The accessories for my bike are starting to arrive the tail tidy is on its way. I've taken a chance & ordered both front & back axle protectors from China. The Chinese ones on my friends MT09 look well made & decent quality & half the price of similar in the UK.

I'm thinking of getting some side panels, i've seen some in aluminium & carbon that look nice, i'd like to find some in SP colours for the 2021 SP. I guess Pyramid Plastics will soon be making lots of plastic goodies for the 2121 bikes.

Next buy has to be a screen but i can't make up my mind as to which one.

Toecutter.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
She's looking good & your pics are great.

The accessories for my bike are starting to arrive the tail tidy is on its way. I've taken a chance & ordered both front & back axle protectors from China. The Chinese ones on my friends MT09 look well made & decent quality & half the price of similar in the UK.

I'm thinking of getting some side panels, i've seen some in aluminium & carbon that look nice, i'd like to find some in SP colours for the 2021 SP. I guess Pyramid Plastics will soon be making lots of plastic goodies for the 2121 bikes.

Next buy has to be a screen but i can't make up my mind as to which one.

Toecutter.
Thanks for the kind words ... I'm still deciding on exhaust as the Mivv one was a bit to late for my liking and I must say I might get the Akrapovic...👍

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I have canceled the Mivv exhaust and now I don't know if I should get the dominator as they are in stock and the options are great ... First proper ride today after our family addition ... 113 miles of smiles and 2nd gear wheelies ..
I have changed the electronics and the lift and the bike is so much quicker and wheelies out of corners .. love this thing ...☺😎
Tire Wheel Sky Plant Fuel tank
Tire Sky Wheel Plant Cloud
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Plant
Tire Plant Wheel Sky Window
Plant Vehicle Property Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motorcycle

41 - 60 of 92 Posts