Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently purchased a MT09 2015
I was wondering what the level of interest there is in a scale model .Im a industrial designer by trade and as such do quite a lot of 3D printing ( both resin and FDM) .
Having recently secured a pretty good model of an MT09 Im staring to resin print components.

My current plan is to use a Tamiya FZR R1 (1/12th) model as a donor for wheels , tires and forks which makes the whole build a lot more manageable.

I've already done a test frame (pictures below) and will continue with the other parts soon.

These are just done in standard resin which is quite brittle Useable but with extreme care.
If you are in any way interested in this and would potentially like some of these parts then let me know. My plan is to build a complete model ( albeit it with donor parts) .
Current dev list is :-
Frame
Swing arm
Engine block
Rear sub frame
Tank
Seat
Rad/cooling
Exhaust

The cost will be a simple calc of time and material cost ( ill keep it as low as possible, I'm not a commercial enterprise ).

The current prints which turned out great, are "simple" hard resin Next up I'm trying "ABS like "resin to make them a bit more durable.
This won't be a fast process so your patience is needed should you want parts.
The goal is to provide a kit that supplements a donor kit to create a complete MT09/FZ09 Time will tell
Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mean i have a 2014 model and this sounds interesting. So is it just like a show piece that you put on your table? I'll have to see the final design first before i ask more questions lol
Yeah it will by like the Tamiya 1/12th scale models of various bikes At least that is my intention.
The donor bike will be the most affordable current tamiya model like >> 14073 Yamaha YZF-R1 Motorcycle TAMIYA 1/12 scale plastic model kit 4950344995073 | eBay.
Buying just the tires is more expensive than the whole kit.
Ive managed to find the model on my local 2nd hand market place for 7 bucks so that's ideal.
The Tamiya model doesnt have radial brakes but i doubt that will effect the end result too much. This isn't intended for purists just something i can and want to do. Thought id share

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,361 Posts
What an undertaking! Did you end up making your own wheels after all? Because those certainly don’t look like any R1 wheels. What about the forks? I know in real life the MT forks are quite a bit longer than R1 forks, which would throw off the scale...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What an undertaking! Did you end up making your own wheels after all? Because those certainly don’t look like any R1 wheels. What about the forks? I know in real life the MT forks are quite a bit longer than R1 forks, which would throw off the scale...
Yes i ended up making the wheels and forks/yokes . I'm currently making the indicators as the scale ones with the kits are significantly different. By the time I'm finished it will be all 3D resin printed with the only exception being the tyres and even they may eventually be printed too. Either rubber like resin or fixed/solid tyres that will be part of the rims.
The 2 main issues I face are the accuracy of the mesh model i have and some parts just don't scale well. The trick is making them "printable" but not too obviously deviate from 1/12 scale

·
Registered
83 Posts
any update? i currently planning to mod my rear frame but i know it should take a lot of time i dont have because use the bike to cummute,so i think wanna try to do 3d print for better try n error before fabicate the actual part.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts