Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 08 cbr600rr and I’m really considering getting an mt09 because the torque looks amazing. They seem pretty fast but does anyone know how it compares to a 600? Are they basically the same? I know the mt09 is actually faster down low but i’m thinking after 100mph the 600s gotta beat it. I also see a lot about the suspension being bad and needing a steering damper, can anyone confirm that? I would just like to know if it would be worth it to sell my 600 and get one. I wanna be doing wheelies while also the bike being about as fast as my 600 and I know the mt09 is great at wheelies.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd say the FZ is way more comfortable, as it's a completely different riding position.
The torque from the CP3 is amazing, plus the crossplane sound is superior IMO.
The suspension, though soft for my liking, isn't as bad as it seems. (Yes, I did upgrade my rear shock already... but I mod every bike I own.)

I ride pretty hard, but I'd take it over the Honda any day.
I haven't really had any SERIOUS head shakes or death wobbles, tank slappers... so I don't think a steering stabilizer is all that necessary for me. Just keep the front end straight when coming down from wheelies at speed.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I came off an '02 F4i. The 600 was faster, but how often did I need to get above 135? Not often enough. Wheelies? I'm 61, so past that...now a good power wheelie from time to time...oh hell yeah!

Never thought I'd walk away from a sportbike and be happy but the MT puts a smile on my face every time I ride it (15k and counting in 2 years and 4 months). It's a very different riding position, very laid-back almost like riding an oversized dirt bike. Much more nimble than my Honda but not twitchy. Upgrading the suspension was huge, coming off a sportbike and well worth the money. I haven't felt the need for a steering damper.

The MT is an absolute blast in the twisty bits, the torque is amazing. Some sections I just leave it in 1 gear and play.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Are you going to the track or is it going to be a street machine? I had a 2010 zx6r before getting my 2018 MT-09 and do not regret the switch in any way. The torque on the 09 is so much more fun than the zx6r. Going fast on the zx6r got boring real quick. How often are you gunna wind out a 600 to go fast on the streets until you kill yourself? On the 09 you can just be puttering around and give the throttle a good twist and the bike just takes off unlike the 600 as the rpm winds all the way up to the end of the rev limiter. And wheelies, yes lots of wheelies. Power wheelies in 1st gear no problem, and it can power wheelie in 2nd when you find the sweet spot. Turn off the traction control and clutch wheelie all you want.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was in your situation a few years ago. Decided to keep my 07 600rr and buy a 2016 FZ-09. I did have to mod the FZ to get it where I wanted, but happy with it now.

They both handle differently, but if I could only have 1, I'd go FZ. It's much more comfortable for the street and has more usable torque down low.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you going to the track or is it going to be a street machine? I had a 2010 zx6r before getting my 2018 MT-09 and do not regret the switch in any way. The torque on the 09 is so much more fun than the zx6r. Going fast on the zx6r got boring real quick. How often are you gunna wind out a 600 to go fast on the streets until you kill yourself? On the 09 you can just be puttering around and give the throttle a good twist and the bike just takes off unlike the 600 as the rpm winds all the way up to the end of the rev limiter. And wheelies, yes lots of wheelies. Power wheelies in 1st gear no problem, and it can power wheelie in 2nd when you find the sweet spot. Turn off the traction control and clutch wheelie all you want.
yeah i would be using it only on the street

1 - 6 of 6 Posts