Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

First off i just want everyone to know i have already put a new battery in this morning.

I have been having intermittent issue with starting the bike (not cranking). When i would go to start the bike (usually in neutral with side stand down) i would hear the starter relay click and the bike would not crank, the neutral light goes off (and stays off). Over the past month or so when this would happen i would just put it in gear and then neutral again and it would usually start.

Yesterday the same thing happened but i am unable to get it to start at all. I have tried all combinations of clutch in/out, side stand etc.

I have noticed the following symptoms:
When the neutral light goes out after trying to start the bike it will stay off but if i tap on the starter relay it will come back on (but wont start/crank)
If i do the above 2 or the times the oil light will slowly flash (which i understand indicates a faulty oil level sensor - my understanding is a faulty oil level sensor would not effect the bike cranking) - the display shows no error codes and when scanned with an obd2 scanner it present no error codes

The starter relay has 12.4V going in but only 10.3V out (and at the starter motor) when i attempt to start the bike - this leads me to believe it the starter relay is faulty - if this is the case wouldn't jumping 12v to the output terminal of the starter relay or the starter relay itself get the starter cranking over?
An auto electrician at the yamaha dealership i spoke with said it was unlikely to be the starter relay and to check the conditional switches

I have done the following:
new battery
cleaned and checked battery & starter relay terminals
pulled apart the starter/kill switch and cleaned out and re greased (w dielectric grease)

I have yet test the clutch & side stand switches but they appear to be working

Other possibly relevant info:
The ecu was flashed (by the most commonly recommended guy in Australia) recently. This problem did happen intermittently before the flash, i reinstalled the ecu on 2nd of january and i have been unable to start the bike since the 10th of january

I was hit by a car on the front left (on dropped the bike on the right) and the bike was repaired by a yamaha dealer in December 19. I was on the brakes pretty hard so i would estimate the impact speed would have been roughly 30km/h. The dealership changed the forks, radiator, front left air scoop, front fender, rear wheel, replaced all oil & coolant.

The bike is a 2018 with 8400km on it. I know it should still be under warranty but its a pain in the ass to get the bike to a shop when i can't get it to start. I also rely on it to get to work 5/6 days a week. If all else fails i will take it to a shop but i just wanted to see if i could figure it out first. I am also concerned yamaha may not cover it under warranty because of the ecu flash or crash repair.

I have also called around to all the yamaha dealers in my state and none of them have any starter relays instock (locally or nationally) so it will be a 2/3 week wait to come from japan.

Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
322 Posts
One thing you could try is bypass the switches, and try and activate the starter relay with a wire to rule out the switches.
(could also check the entire wire going to the starter for damage after the crash.) (al the way from the main box to the starter and the relay also)
How does your starter motor sound when cranking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing you could try is bypass the switches, and try and activate the starter relay with a wire to rule out the switches.
(could also check the entire wire going to the starter for damage after the crash.) (al the way from the main box to the starter and the relay also)
How does your starter motor sound when cranking?

Bypass by bridging the starter terminals? I did that and all i heard was the relay click and the neutral light go out.

i checked voltage to the starter 12.4 at battery, 10.3v at exit of starter relay and 10.3v at the starter.

The bike always cranked well and only every struggled to start when i left it in the sun all day at work at hotter temps (40C).

I think i'm going to change the starter relay and ignition switch and if that fails ill get it to a shop to look at.

The only thing that concerns me is the oil light flashing when it wont crank over but there is no error codes to go along with it and goes away when i turn it off and on.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am not shure why but my guess is that you might have a startermotor that is bad.

one way to test that is to bypass the relay going from the battery directly to the starter. if your voltage still drops that much it is your starter might be bad some how.

If your starter is bad it might be pulling to high a load, causing you voltage to drop to low for the ecu to function properly. Your starter motor might still spin but the engine will not fire up and light may act up also.

i once had a scooter with a bad starter motor draw to much current on the first try, and after turning everything off and on again you will get the engine to run on second or third try.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I didn't read the initial post in grave detail, but I will say that burning up the starter relay is common on these bikes (the integrated start/kill switch gets sticky and burns them up). It is a fairly cheap part and looks like you're already suspecting that as a potential source of the issue. I'd start there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't read the initial post in grave detail, but I will say that burning up the starter relay is common on these bikes (the integrated start/kill switch gets sticky and burns them up). It is a fairly cheap part and looks like you're already suspecting that as a potential source of the issue. I'd start there.
Yeah i agree. Although Yamaha Australia does not because there are zero new starter relays in the country and have to come from Japan. And all people i have spoken to so far has told me they doubt it will be the relay (however i have learned otherwise in reading forums).

I have a starter relay and killswitch coming from a wrecked bike hopefully today or tomorrow so i will update.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why is there nothing said of a service manual or testing any components? Is the bike stored outside? If it sits in the rain the key switch will grow corrosion and not crank. If it is under warranty, TAKE IT TO THE DEALER!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Something could have happened in the crash and or repair process - connectors and wiring up in the steering head instruments area could have been affected

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update - it was a loose ground connection on the starter motor. It would not have been covered under warranty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts