Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be removing my forks this week to ship out to have Nitron TVT cartridges installed. My bike is a 2018 and has ABS. Are there any tips, tricks, or anything I need to watch out for when removing the forks?

Thought I read somewhere that I need to be careful of the order I remove the caliper
bolts. Just want to limit the surprises I may run into.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Just have the bike supported good. And you may help the installer by loosening the very top clamp bolts and then loosen the top cap a bit so it has slight tension on it . As for caliper bolts nothing special on the front the rear is the one you have to watch ! Wish you lived closer I could help you with out having to ship them out !

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know that there's nothing to crazy with the front. Yeah I wish we lived closer too. That way we could get out to ride as well as wrech. My garage isn't really conducive to doing to much wrenching at the moment. Typically, I'd do it myself but I took the easy road out on this one. Got a fairly good deal on the install. I'm only pushing this one down the road until I have to change the oil. I'm going to be installing the rear shock myself when it arrives

·
Registered
594 Posts
If your concerned about nicking your rims, before removing the calipers , place rag in the wheel, then lift them clear, a little bungee will hold them outside, out of the way until you get your forks back. Good luck.

Ride sane.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your concerned about nicking your rims, before removing the calipers , place rag in the wheel, then lift them clear, a little bungee will hold them outside, out of the way until you get your forks back. Good luck.

Ride sane.
Good call, I'll make a point of keeping that in mind about the rag in the wheel. Probably would have been something I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
FWIW. I use an A frame ladder straddling the front wheel/forks and lift the bike with tie down straps under the bottom triple clamp.
I should buy a front stand but I'm too mean.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Nope nothing too wild comes to my mind. As someone stated above you could loosen the top cap, but I have to assume whatever shop you're sending them to have a way to hold the fork body without scratching/warping them. I'd be more inclined to not loosen it. That way there is no risk of you hamfisting it and scratching it by mistake yourself (easy to do, ask me how i know). At least if they do it you can maybe get them replaced if you are worried about some cosmetic scuffs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW. I use an A frame ladder straddling the front wheel/forks and lift the bike with tie down straps under the bottom triple clamp.
I should buy a front stand but I'm too mean.

Good idea, I was going to build a support out of some scrap lumber I have and used to downs, but the ladder idea genius! This is so much more simplistic and my ladder is actually standing right next to the bike. Definitely going this route.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I would check the load rating on that ladder. You might want to get something under the bike as cheap insurance. A good set of proper bike stands will last a life time. I would check with your buddies or Craigslist to borrow or buy a stand. Worst case, dropping your bike off a makeshift workstand will do more damage than a couple hundred dollars in good quality stands cost. Good luck.

Ride sane

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would check the load rating on that ladder. You might want to get something under the bike as cheap insurance. A good set of proper bike stands will last a life time. I would check with your buddies or Craigslist to borrow or buy a stand. Worst case, dropping your bike off a makeshift workstand will do more damage than a couple hundred dollars in good quality stands cost. Good luck.

Ride sane

Yeah, I could see how it would seem sketchy.
But the ladder in have in mind is extra stout ladder that doubles as scaffolding. I figure combined with the heavy duty ratchet straps it will be ok. Yes, stands are on the list but I'm waiting till I can afford a set of pit bulls... Just don't want to buy twice. I've kinda of picked my battles with budget this year. I opted for a suspension, exhaust, helmet, and a set of custom leathers.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I use an aluminium locking ladder that is rated for humans, that's a bit more than the 90kg's of the 09 front end.
If I can trust it with me climbing up and down it, I'm sure the bike will too.
The tiedowns also exceed that breaking strain. I had the bike on it for a week when I got my forks done.
The problem with supports under the bike is that the only place you can put them is at the centre of gravity (under the sump) and that lifts the rear out of the pit stand bobbins.
I've been there and done all that.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Just buy a Pitbull front stand. You’ll use it all the time, it lasts forever, and we won’t have to slog through your “I dropped my bike trying to hang it from a ladder” thread.
View attachment 157301
Of course, the one pictured here won't help when you have to pull your forks... 😉

But the OP did mention his budget is used up at this point, so 300 bucks for a pair of Pit Bull stands isn't an option. But yes, when the money is available, you can't beat 'em!

·
Registered
929 Posts
I didn't catch the budget comment... Before I got my triple tree lift I use a couple of jack stands under the front frame sliders. Was a bit sketchy, but did the trick. I threw together a couple of 6-7" tall wooden platforms out of some 2x4s laying around as the jack stands weren't tall enough. Put some towels for cushions.

Then rolled the front wheel up a few 2x4 planks to get the jack stands lined up/under. picked the front end up, kicked the boards out of the way and gently dropped it down...

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I didn't catch the budget comment... Before I got my triple tree lift I use a couple of jack stands under the front frame sliders. Was a bit sketchy, but did the trick. I threw together a couple of 6-7" tall wooden platforms out of some 2x4s laying around as the jack stands weren't tall enough. Put some towels for cushions.

Then rolled the front wheel up a few 2x4 planks to get the jack stands lined up/under. picked the front end up, kicked the boards out of the way and gently dropped it down...
And you mocked my ladder technique? :oops:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately, this is all set up at a location other than my house. Me garage was built in the 20s and is very damp so I over winter it somewhere else. We'll I got it suspended from the ladder, just enough to get the tire to spin freely. Just to realize I don't have a 14mm hex bit. 🤯 Bought one on the way home and I'm going to go finish the removal tonight. It's actually very sturdy right now but I'm going to fashion a two 2x4 with shoulders cut into the tops and two block on the bottom to act as feet. I plan on sliding these into the trees after the forks come out. Should prevent any catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Of course, the one pictured here won't help when you have to pull your forks... 😉

But the OP did mention his budget is used up at this point, so 300 bucks for a pair of Pit Bull stands isn't an option. But yes, when the money is available, you can't beat 'em!
Thanks Moto26. I changed my photo. I live in the SF Bay Area and these do come up often on CL or the BARF forum. It’s a good used purchase if you find them. I picked up my set for $200. You do need a rear stand to use the front stand.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
This is how I do mine.
The rear stand gets anchored to the floor and then it gets zip tied to the spools.
New Forks---Feb 2019 002.JPG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts