Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start this thread to log everyone's issues with the clutch on the 2021.

Mine is very grabby/juddery when the bike is cold and you pull away in first. But it's fine when the bike is warm.

Seems to be quite a common issue with Yamahas that they have clutch issues.

Anyway, mines away for the winter now but may strip the clutch in the spring.

@Motorazr you may aswell keep me updated with your bike here in this thread.

Cheers

Charlie.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whatever it came with from the factory for the first 600 miles then Silkolene Pro 4 10w-40 fully synthetic for the last 600miles.

It's done it from day 1.

It's annoying but it's not the end of the world. Like I said, it's only whilst it's cold. I'm reluctant to go to the dealer without more examples to back up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I worked for several motorcycle dealerships in my younger days and felt that I had a good idea of what to expect. Cynical as I am, I still didn't anticipate the levels of resistance and incompetence that I've run into. Going into it, my thinking was that a Yamaha dealer would be unlikely to willingly take on a minor warranty issue, all the more so when parts are hard to get and even the clutch cover gasket alone might not be available. What I did was:
  • Test ride two other 2021 MT-09's at a Yamaha demo event to verify that the clutches are smooth on other '21 MT-09's.
  • Track down someone at Yamaha who might take an interest - I was able to reach out to Yamaha's Technical Service Manager covering my region.
  • Step two was to track down a clutch cover gasket (new for 2021). There was ONE in the entire United States and I got it shipped to the dealer that Yamaha's TSM recommended to me.
  • That recommended dealer STILL didn't want to deal with my warranty issue so I emailed that same Yamaha TSM who never replied.
  • I called Yamaha Motor Corp Customer Service and was told they don't want to get between me and a dealer (all of whom they trust to act professionally).
  • After confirming the clutch judder issue, the recommended dealership finally agreed to look into the problem when I reminded them that they already had the gasket needed (as if I didn't tell THREE staff members about the ordered gasket).
  • The dealership warned me that if they don't find something to file a warranty claim on, I'll be out-of-pocket for $145 for a "clutch inspection fee".
  • After two weeks, the dealership Service Manager apologized for all the delays and miscommunication and promised to make my experience better going forward.
  • Two business days later, I called to find that Service Manager had disappeared on a vacation that he never mentioned.
  • Having done everything I can to make my problem impossible to ignore, after three weeks without a bike I'm still waiting for some word on the issue.
50/50 chance that my issue won't get resolved and I'll have to either attempt to fix it myself, or just dump the bike as lemon and move on to a different model entirely. Ask yourself; "If I have a warranty problem with my new bike, will Yamaha Motor Corp take care of me? Will a different brand?" I don't think a typical consumer has much of a chance. The standard business model is "try to make most customers happy most of the time".

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I am thinking one of two things. The friction plates sludged up, or they are dry between the metal plates. All that you need is a new cover gasket. Getting the cover lined up putting it back on is a bit tricky. You can remove the plates, inspect, and soak them in fresh oil and reinstall.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm going to take a gamble that your stack height is off on your clutches, or you have couple glazed spots on one of the disc.
How many miles do you have on the bike?
Is your clutch free play correct?
I've seen some other bikes do this new out of the crate, take them and actually ride them hard enough to bed them in and they will be fine after.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am thinking one of two things. The friction plates sludged up, or they are dry between the metal plates. All that you need is a new cover gasket. Getting the cover lined up putting it back on is a bit tricky. You can remove the plates, inspect, and soak them in fresh oil and reinstall.
Friction plates “sludged up”? From day one with one mile on the bike. Or “dry” still after 460 miles and the problem largely goes away when warm? Just how much experience do you have with the new 2021 clutch cover anyway? Wait, don’t answer that. It’s not helpful.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
189 Posts
The 2021's have a temp gauge on them so....

What temperature does your dash read when you're having this issue?
What temperature does the problem seem to go away?
How warm do you let the bike get before you pull away?

I let the bike idle until it gets to about 120F(48C) and then I ride pretty chill until the temp steadies itself (then I play).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 2021's have a temp gauge on them so....

What temperature does your dash read when you're having this issue?
What temperature does the problem seem to go away?
How warm do you let the bike get before you pull away?

I let the bike idle until it gets to about 120F(48C) and then I ride pretty chill until the temp steadies itself (then I play).
Yes I must admit I don't let it idle at all as I know the cam chain "can" rattle if left for too long. Might need to experiment and find a happy medium between not letting the cam chain rattle and stopping the clutch from grabbing.

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
264 Posts
Cam chain rattles even while on the move if it's cold so it doesn't really matter.
Leave the bike for 20-30 secs before you start so at least the oil has some time to circulate and the wet the clutch disks among others.And try to notice if the same happens...

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I always start the bike then put on my helmet and gloves ...gives the bike just over a min. time to warm up ! And when I know I'm going to ride I set the bike out in the sun with the clutch side towards the sun..does it help maybe a bit but thats just me !!!

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I have removed the clutches on my 14 and 15 and replaced them with slipper parts. My FJR clutch had a know sludge issue and replaced them with new friction plates due to sludging after soaking them. Also, I have opened up many motocross bike clutches from stiction due to dry plates from the factory. They don't soak them at the factory. To put the cover back on, you have to align the spindle just right and twist it just right as you slide it on.
Mine work well, how about yours?

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle

·
Registered
162 Posts
It only took three weeks (after a three-week wait for an appointment) to hear what I had expected; the anti-judder spring in my clutch (460 miles on the bike) appears to be faulty. The Service Manager told me that the anti-judder spring looks scored as does the separate spring seat (these are the first two parts listed below). He said the wear on the friction disks seems odd for such low mileage so he's replacing all the wear parts in the clutch (I listed discounted USA prices below, not full retail):

Yamaha Part NumberPart DescriptionQuantity @ PriceLine Total
1TD-16384-00-00Plate, Seatx1 @ $ 9.77 = $ 9.77
1TD-16383-01-00Spring, Cushion (anti-judder spring)x1 @ $16.17 =$16.17
B7N-16321-00-00Plate, Friction (Middle)x6 @ $ 6.37 =$38.22
B90-16331-00-00Plate, Friction 2 (Ends)x3 @ $12.32 =$36.96
5VY-16325-00-00Plate, Clutch 2 (T2.0) Steelx5 @ $11.47 =$57.35
1TD-16324-00-00Plate, Clutch 1 (T2.3) Steel (End)x1 @ $ 4.67 =$ 4.67
B7N-15461-00-00Gasket, Crankcase Cover 2x1 @ $ 8.95 =$ 8.95

Parts unique to the 2021 MT-09 begin with "B7N" so only the middle friction plates are new for this year. All the other parts listed are carry-over parts from 2020. If I was doing this on my own dime instead of under warranty, I would have started by just replacing the anti-judder spring itself (called "Spring, Cushion"). No guaranty though that one part would fix my clutch judder issue, and replacing all the parts above may not fix the issue either. Still, it's a step forward (unless the dealership screws something up in which case it's a big step backward).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts