Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i just would like to share my issue with you, as i didn't find anyone who had this before...

So here it is:
My Shift Shaft is broken as seen in the pictures, but it happens two times.
I'm on a MT09 2013, i'm using a quickshifter (Healtech QSE) till 3 years now and all worked as it should till i decided to trick a little the cutoff time (65ms to 30ms while staying on auto).

The first time i didn't noticed, but after 20 miles i can't change gear only downshifting: i was afraid it was my clutch or disk but not it was my shift shaft axxes:

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas Audio equipment Electric blue

So i've changed the broken, and in the same times, changed my disk to renforced ones, and well the problem was solved, all my gear was okay, but again, i have reloaded my saved settings on QSE and set again my cutoff time at 30ms (why? Well i feel the bike is getting more responsive and agressive with that setting ...)

But after 30miles maybe less the problem happened again, and i was far to believe it will be the same part to broke but:
Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Machine Metal Auto part

Yeah same part in the exact same place broke again...
If asking: my bike isn't concerned by the yamaha recall on the selector axxes..

So my question, as i'm 100% confident it's my wrong settings in the QSE who is causing that problem is more to know if it happened to any other person, and if you think it can be broke anywhere...

By advance, thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can't help but to think that there must be incredible force being applied to the foot lever on order to break the shift shaft like this.

If you feel yourself putting force on ANY part of the bike, stop. Shifting gears especially requires only a light touch.

Ignoring the quick shifter, does the bike shift gears smooth and effortless as it should if you ride it normally? I'm asking because if you are NEEDING to apply this much pressure to shift gears then it's a possibility you've got some bent shift forks. Possibly a result of stomping the shift lever.

It's fine to shift fast, just don't shift rough or stomp the lever.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't have a QS on my 2016. I briefly let off the throttle to shift and it's pretty smooth for a Yamaha gearbox. It takes very little pressure to shift. Maybe your pressure sensor on the shift rod is failing.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
It seems simple. Revert to recommended settings, and don't stomp on the shift lever. Unless you are part of a MotoGP team and have cubic money to spend on breakages.

Reactions: bernard.frantz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't help but to think that there must be incredible force being applied to the foot lever on order to break the shift shaft like this.

If you feel yourself putting force on ANY part of the bike, stop. Shifting gears especially requires only a light touch.

Ignoring the quick shifter, does the bike shift gears smooth and effortless as it should if you ride it normally? I'm asking because if you are NEEDING to apply this much pressure to shift gears then it's a possibility you've got some bent shift forks. Possibly a result of stomping the shift lever.

It's fine to shift fast, just don't shift rough or stomp the lever.
Before i had the problem, the shift gears was smooth, and i doesn't need any effort to change my gear.. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a QS on my 2016. I briefly let off the throttle to shift and it's pretty smooth for a Yamaha gearbox. It takes very little pressure to shift. Maybe your pressure sensor on the shift rod is failing.
Well i will check that, but i don't really think the pressure shift is a problem: i'm using racing rearsets and a racetorx!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems simple. Revert to recommended settings, and don't stomp on the shift lever. Unless you are part of a MotoGP team and have cubic money to spend on breakages.
That's what i will definitely do, but i would like to share my experience, to avoid the same problem for other peoples!
Thanks

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
What's Muc got to do with it?

Reactions: abe57
1 - 10 of 10 Posts