Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got mine. The reviews say that you won't notice the power restriction...it is lies. You REALLY notice the power restriction. I bought it with the hopes of getting ECUWest to de-restrict it but after the first email I can't get a reply as I want to get it done.
2 Things I noticed straight up.
To corner you need to move forward to get front end stability. You have to ride it almost like a motard except it doesn't have the output to light the rear wheel. Hopefully I can rebalance to bike's poise to get it more neutral. Sure explains why the euros were wheelstanding all over the place. More on this later but if this is supposed to be a LAMS ( beginner) bike making the front end vague stock is not a good idea.
And not only no ABS, but the brakes are also vague and nonlinear. Easily fixable BUT not something that should be on a beginner bike. Please no comments about price limitations. If you are going to sell a 650cc bike to beginners you should at least give em good predictable brakes. Personally I believe that beginners should be restricted to about 3 or 4 hundred cc's to learn how to use the throttle, but that's just me.

With all that I am still excited to see if I can get this bike to where I want it. ie full power , improve the handling balance and braking. This is the most interesting bike out in quite a while for me. Middle displacement, light(ish) weight, good chassis good geometry and parts availability. I will be trawling the forums to see what has worked and consider applying.
Waiting for reply from ECUwest
Waiting for the Akra carbon muffler snail exhaust
Waiting for DNA air filter
Waiting for reply to queries on fork springs, gold valves and Ohlins shock
Still need to give the Bridgestone BT023'a a good hiding to see if they stay. BT023 is a resurrected Bridgey tyre model number. The original 23 were really crap. Hopefully these may be better . If not Michelin pilot road 4's are going on. They are just awesome on the tr650 and my F800R. Best tyre I have ever ridden on on track or road ( not counting slicks).
I have put lower aluminium bars on already and new lower and more forward biased bar clamps in an attempt to get more weight forward. When my hand heals up I will report back.

The build begins

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Welcome to our site and congrats on your purchase. Sounds like you've already made some good plans. Good luck with everything. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sorry but it makes no sense to me to create a "beginner" bike with excellent suspension already on it. A beginner can't ride very well to start with...so how would he notice vague handling? Mine isn't a Aussie version but my bike had feel from the front end dead stock. It wasn't much...but that changed a lot with better tires. With aftermarket fork cartridges in it...the handling got really good. And my brakes are not vague either. Non linear maybe....but not vague at all. There is so much engine braking on this bike...I hardly use the brakes and I'm an ex road racer.

Oh and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
654 Posts
BT023s are bridgstones equivalent to the pilot road 4 or the pereli angel gt, great sport touring tires, wish my FZ09 had come with them instead of the crap dunlops

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Just got mine. The reviews say that you won't notice the power restriction...it is lies. You REALLY notice the power restriction. I bought it with the hopes of getting ECUWest to de-restrict it but after the first email I can't get a reply as I want to get it done.
2 Things I noticed straight up.
To corner you need to move forward to get front end stability. You have to ride it almost like a motard except it doesn't have the output to light the rear wheel. Hopefully I can rebalance to bike's poise to get it more neutral. Sure explains why the euros were wheelstanding all over the place. More on this later but if this is supposed to be a LAMS ( beginner) bike making the front end vague stock is not a good idea.
And not only no ABS, but the brakes are also vague and nonlinear. Easily fixable BUT not something that should be on a beginner bike. Please no comments about price limitations. If you are going to sell a 650cc bike to beginners you should at least give em good predictable brakes. Personally I believe that beginners should be restricted to about 3 or 4 hundred cc's to learn how to use the throttle, but that's just me.

With all that I am still excited to see if I can get this bike to where I want it. ie full power , improve the handling balance and braking. This is the most interesting bike out in quite a while for me. Middle displacement, light(ish) weight, good chassis good geometry and parts availability. I will be trawling the forums to see what has worked and consider applying.
Waiting for reply from ECUwest
Waiting for the Akra carbon muffler snail exhaust
Waiting for DNA air filter
Waiting for reply to queries on fork springs, gold valves and Ohlins shock
Still need to give the Bridgestone BT023'a a good hiding to see if they stay. BT023 is a resurrected Bridgey tyre model number. The original 23 were really crap. Hopefully these may be better . If not Michelin pilot road 4's are going on. They are just awesome on the tr650 and my F800R. Best tyre I have ever ridden on on track or road ( not counting slicks).
I have put lower aluminium bars on already and new lower and more forward biased bar clamps in an attempt to get more weight forward. When my hand heals up I will report back.

The build begins
Have you tried the Pilot Power 3's on the track?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Aussie MT07 have a smaller capacity motor than the unrestricted rest of the world models. You won't be able to flash it back to 'proper' mt07.

Yep - Proper MT-07 689cc.
Australian MT07 655cc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Aussie MT07 have a smaller capacity motor than the unrestricted rest of the world models. You won't be able to flash it back to 'proper' mt07.

Yep - Proper MT-07 689cc.
Australian MT07 655cc.
Absolutely true. That's why my Mrs went for the 09 instead of the 07. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
According to the Yamaha Australia website their MT-07 is rated at 655cc where the North American FZ-07 is 689cc.

MT-07 | Yamaha Motor Australia

Yamaha's budget learner-leader - bikes - motoring | Stuff.co.nz

I wonder if they reduce the cc's with just a smaller piston and thicker piston sleeve? I have heard that BMW does the same thing with certain the GS650 and GS800, it is the same engine and with a few parts swapped the 650 can be turned into an 800. I can't remember the specific model numbers that allow this off hand. One of the guys I work with has a GS1200 and he knows everything there is to know about all the GS's.

I wonder if anyone will come out with a 655cc to 689cc kit? or if the 655cc bikes are a done deal that can't be changed? Unless you can find the right parts and have them shipped over from North America or the UK???

MT-07 / ABS 2015 Features & techspecs - Motorcycles - Yamaha Motor UK

·
Registered
186 Posts
Rocky MTN is correct from looking at the spec sheets, the Aussie -07 has a 2 mm smaller bore. In the pictures of the -07 engine, it appears to have a sleeve but I can't be sure, I would prefer nicasil over alloy but if sleeved then it may not be a big deal to enlarge the bore, especially if they didn't have to change the combustion chamber shape. I would wait and see what performance mods come out for the -07 based dirt track series, you would think a big bore closer to 750 would be a start and these mods will all trickle down to us, I can't wait to see how they work out on the track...mark

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
the learner laws here in aus have a 660cc limit (LAMS, learner approve motocycle scheme) so a few manufacturers sleeve down some bikes along with ecu changes.
street triple sleeved down from 675 to 660, they sell both versions
kawasaki versys, ninja and er6n are all available in LAMS and full power versions
and the MT07, only in LAMS.
a few other manufacturers too, but thats off the top of my head.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would check the part numbers on the cylinder head & crank cases to see if they are the same, the casing might be slightly smaller where the cylinder enters the casing to support the cylinder sleave when the motor is at operating temps, if the casings & head have the same part number it would be an easy conversion.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yep, the bike and block would be the same, just sleeves for aus and I think NZ.
Someone's gotta be making a big bore kit for the full size ones by now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Keef, they are going to be running the -07 in the 2015 dirttrack series and Yamaha has an engine development program (from what I've read) so stuff will be happening pretty soon I would imagine. If the -07 is going to compete against the Kawi and Harleys, then it's going to have to put out some decent HP numbers and I bet they've already got them screaming on a dyno somewhere. For the street, I'd be happy with a real RWHP figure of 75-80 but I would think they'll have to better that for the track. I don't know what the little Kawi makes on the dyno but it's whooping the 100 hp Harleys so it must be up there. Maybe some dirt track types will chime in and let us know what to expect. I can't wait to see this engine set up in a dirt track frame/wheels...Mark

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Keef, they are going to be running the -07 in the 2015 dirttrack series and Yamaha has an engine development program (from what I've read) so stuff will be happening pretty soon I would imagine. If the -07 is going to compete against the Kawi and Harleys, then it's going to have to put out some decent HP numbers and I bet they've already got them screaming on a dyno somewhere. For the street, I'd be happy with a real RWHP figure of 75-80 but I would think they'll have to better that for the track. I don't know what the little Kawi makes on the dyno but it's whooping the 100 hp Harleys so it must be up there. Maybe some dirt track types will chime in and let us know what to expect. I can't wait to see this engine set up in a dirt track frame/wheels...Mark
They get 82 hp out of a full race Versys...so I expect the track version of the FZ07 to be about 76 or so for reliability. No doubt the 07 will hook up better than a Versys on the dirt tracks. I'll be watching those races real close. Go Yamaha!!!!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I had a 2010 versys 650 as a workbike for 25000ks.
i think they claim about 65 or 70hp for the 2015, same basic motor in the versys, er6n and ninja 650. Really good, peppy little street motor. Have to be heaps lighter than the harley.

·
Registered
186 Posts
CD599,
Thanks for the info, do you know what they've done to the Kawi to get those HP numbers? Most curious about whether they changed bore or stroke. I think before long gregjet will be able to pump his little -07 up, I thought the US version ran pretty well on my short test ride, had to ring it out pretty good to keep up with the lead liter bike guy and definitely had a sweeter transmission then the one and only Versys ride I took, could have just been an abused Kawi demo but a real turn off. I wonder if Yamaha left any room in the design for a bigger bore? Be interesting to see how they do.

Keef, I'm not sure about the weights on the trackers, I thought there was a minimum they all had to meet but I could be wrong, it would be interesting to know what the Kawi & Harley weigh.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
82 out of a versys is brilliant.
my completely bog stock one would do power wheelies in first and second (with a tug on the bars). it liked to rev.
The only thing that turns me off the 07 in aus is that its restricted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got my Akropovic snail pipe carbon exhaust yesterday and put it on. Akra 3.9kg /stock 7.6kg so nice weight chuck with the added benefit of a better sound. Db killer still in for the time being until I get the ECU flashed. Let it idle until the fan came on to let the ecu/O2 mix settle back down. I am asssuming that will reset the base line but I am happy to be correctly informed if it is wrong. At least the pipe length looks better for the rev/HP peak this thing has but need to degree the cam on the dam thing to check. Certainly better length than stock or the OEM Akra.

When checking the bolt torques I found the left big left side engine mounting bolt had less than 20ft lbs. Anyone know what it is supposed to be. I am willing to bet it is supposed to be a lot more than that.

Had the tank cover off to have a look around. Anyone seen the tank. WOW one ugly steel tank. I raced a YZFR125 in commuterlite and the undertank was a plastic wellshaped piece. This one is so cheaply made , though it seems to be a sound construction. Just heavy and awkward. Guess I am stuck with that one as making tanks for in tank fuel injection pumps can be a pain.

BMW bars are too wide. I feel like a parachute so I have ordered some Renthal ultra lows ( my favs).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Need some help. Haven't got a workshop manual yet ( I believe they are hard to get).
I have a component that I am guessing is the Air Temperature sensor. ( pictured below). I need to know if it IS a the temp sensor as I want to move it to a place it will get cooler air in the hope it will richen things up a bit. I am worried because of the way it is mounted that it may be a crash tilt sensor. Got caught with that one when preparing a couple of race bikes ( CBR125R Honda and YZFR125). The Yamaha tilt sensors are usually under the seat and there is something that looks like the YZFR one but I got me wondering if the component actually is a temp sensor.
If you know can you please post here before I move it down behind the mesh on the tank covers to get cooler air for it.

DSCN0848.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts