Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed something strange the other day...

You can see in the attached page from my MT-09 Owner manual, that the service interval between most jobs is 10000km (6000mi).
I read a FZ-09 Service Manual the other day, and saw that the same page (same maintenance table) shows service intervals of 6000km (4000mi).

I thought that the FZ-09 and MT-09 are the same bike, so why different intervals?
Or perhaps there is a difference between the Owner Manual and the Service Manual???

If someone has a FZ-09 Owner Manual, or a MT-09 Service Manual to compare, I'd be interested in hearing what it says.

I'm nearing the 6000km mark, and as far as I know (and was told by the dealer), I should be good until 10000km.
Lucky I bought a MT and not a FZ, save me some cash :)

mt-09-maintenance.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is strange. I just checked my FZ-09 owner manual and service manual. They both do have 4000 mile intervals. That was the same interval for my FZ6R as well. I have no idea why the MT-09 would be different.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Only real reason I can think of would be some sort of legality, whether some form of legislation, or environmental dictate that requires this kind of mileage. But that's a stretch. I honestly have no idea.

Unless, of course, they just edited the document from "km" to "mi" and didn't do any actuall numerical review. Usually it's technical writers that produce these according to their instructions.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Interesting.

Is the recommended oil the same?

ie: does the MT-09 manual specify synthetic only (thus allowing for a longer change interval), but the FZ-09 only recommend synthetic... so customer could opt for dino/mineral oil which degrades more quickly and would need to be changed more often...

Not near/around my manual to check for myself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Only real reason I can think of would be some sort of legality, whether some form of legislation, or environmental dictate that requires this kind of mileage. But that's a stretch. I honestly have no idea.

Unless, of course, they just edited the document from "km" to "mi" and didn't do any actuall numerical review. Usually it's technical writers that produce these according to their instructions.
Don't have the manuals with me now (at work), but if my memory serves me right, I think it said 6000 km/4000 mi. 6000 km converts to 3728.227 miles, so they rounded up.

Interesting.

Is the recommended oil the same?

ie: does the MT-09 manual specify synthetic only (thus allowing for a longer change interval), but the FZ-09 only recommend synthetic... so customer could opt for dino/mineral oil which degrades more quickly and would need to be changed more often...

Not near/around my manual to check for myself.
That may be the case. The FZ manual definitely didn't specify synthetic only.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the MT-09 manual had an interval of 6000km, while the FZ-09 said 6000mi

A technical writer converting a Metric manual to an Imperial manual may just have changed the units instead of doing the conversion math.

(I'm fully aware of how to calculate km to mi: google it! :p or multiply by 6 and drop a zero for a quick and dirty estimate)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the MT-09 manual had an interval of 6000km, while the FZ-09 said 6000mi

A technical writer converting a Metric manual to an Imperial manual may just have changed the units instead of doing the conversion math.

(I'm fully aware of how to calculate km to mi: google it! :p or multiply by 6 and drop a zero for a quick and dirty estimate)
I'm sorry eolith, I was definitely not trying to teach you math. It was more of a thinking out loud thing, haha.

I don't think that it was an error from the technical writer. Both the FZ owner and service manuals say "6000 km (4000 mi)". This aligns with both of those manuals for my FZ6R also.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
no worries, Ricoo, I was feeling more tongue in cheek then I actually let on in my post. We're all good :)

The question is between the euro MT09 manuals and the FZ-09 Manuals. I know they wouldn't spend the $ to do a full re-write, they'd just make the necessary changes and send it out

·
Registered
137 Posts
My MT-09 manual says 10000KM so roughly 6000Miles between services , interestingly my shop says to change the oil and filter at half that. No mention of synth only oil just viscosity ratings.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
OK... so this piqued my curiosity and I've done some internet sleuthing*

Apparently, the formulation of European oils is different from the ones used in the US.

The reason for this is that European manufacturers and legislation, in an apparent attempt to conserve resources, require much longer oil change intervals than US-based models. The longer oil change intervals mandate a different formulation in order to prevent sludging of the engine and other problems.

So it looks like eolith and I were both right.... they are required to extend the oil change interval to reduce consumption and conserve resources, so the oil over there is formulated differently to meet those requirements without damaging the engine.

*all of this info was obtained on the interwebs via numerous questionable sources, so I'm not stating what I've found is absolute fact... just that it's what I found on this subject.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I believe conservation is primary concern and not your engines longevity when they make these intervals, government guidelines etc. come first. I personally could never go 4-6k miles on an oil change in an engine with shared eng/trans/primary oil...just me...Mark

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Because they ride'em slower over there! :)

Mike
Haha! I was going to say something to that effect, but I thought I would be nice ;)

I thought that they are just taking you for a ride. Yamaha figured that you Americans spend money too easily, so why not charge you for unnecessary visits to the garage :p

It doesn't seem to be a technical writer error, as both manuals specify both miles and kilometers.

OK... so this piqued my curiosity and I've done some internet sleuthing*

Apparently, the formulation of European oils is different from the ones used in the US.

The reason for this is that European manufacturers and legislation, in an apparent attempt to conserve resources, require much longer oil change intervals than US-based models. The longer oil change intervals mandate a different formulation in order to prevent sludging of the engine and other problems.

So it looks like eolith and I were both right.... they are required to extend the oil change interval to reduce consumption and conserve resources, so the oil over there is formulated differently to meet those requirements without damaging the engine.

*all of this info was obtained on the interwebs via numerous questionable sources, so I'm not stating what I've found is absolute fact... just that it's what I found on this subject.
Interesting...
I usualy use Prestone 10-40w Semi-Synthetic, which is made in the USA. So is the oil not suitable for the longer european oil change intervals? :confused:

This might explain the oil change intervals, but what about all the other components: oil filter, adjusting fuel injection synch, other checks and lubrications...
(actually coming to look at it, it seems that indeed the oil change is the main drive for the service interval and the rest of the stuff is just done whenever you come in to the garage)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I thought that they are just taking you for a ride. Yamaha figured that you Americans spend money too easily, so why not charge you for unnecessary visits to the garage :p

Actually, I think it's that Yamaha knows that the Euro's will buy into the company hype and feel justified in not having to do any wrenching on their bikes, whereas Americans can be a bit skeptical and prefer to take the product apart and put it back together in a manner that suits our performance oriented tinkering/mindset and would rather not have the garage touch it at all. I'd be suspicious of any recommendation to go 6000 miles between oil changes on this type of engine configuration, it's been shown that with a shared sump/trans/primary design a multi grade oil will lose approx. half it's viscosity at around 3000 miles, a little more a little less depending on brand and spec. Of course if you don't plan to keep the bike for long, then it doesn't really matter as most Japanese machines can take a lot of abuse before packing it in...Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts