2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
Starting this thread to document my MT-09 "build", also to help me keep track of a to-do list.. Basically adding some simple bolt on stuff to make it a solid commuter and sporty tourer. Will periodically update with pics as I get the parts installed along with a short write-up to share how I feel about it.
- GPS (old phone) mount. Already purchased and installed. Went with the Ram X-grip and the u-bolt configuration. Rock solid so far.
- Horn upgrade. Already purchased and installed. Currently just sitting where the stock horn was. Problem is that I went with a "snail" shell design and it is quite hideous. When I have more time I'll relocate it to an area that's less visually offensive. I went with the Wolo High Tone since it doesn't draw much more power compared to the stock one.
- Tank grips for my knee. Ordered a set of DKL griptape. It's sitting at home, just waiting for time off from work to cut it to fit.
- Tank pad. Ordered a clear Puig one, had the same one on my previous bike.
- Tank bag. Ordered a set of SW-Motech Ion Two with the ring. Installed today, pics to come. Not 100% sold on it, probably won't use it on long distance tours (cross country), but will be handy for daily commuting.
- Tail bag. Ordered the SW-Motech Speedpack. Initially worried that it's just a bit too long to sit on the passenger seat and leave me enough space. Received it yesterday and I've test fit it on the bike, happy to say that it's just about perfect front to back. Once it's loaded and secured I think it'll be a great backrest as well. This bag is HUGE.
- Hand guards. Will be ordering the grips from a MT-09 Tracer soon.
- Kaoko throttle "lock". Waiting for a model that's compatible with handguards.
- Windscreen. I plan on starting with a shorter length windscreen and see how much that helps.
- Grip heaters. Will buy whenever the Yamaha OEM one is available.
- USB accessory plug. Will buy whenever the Yamaha OEM one is available.
- Rear shock protector. Ordered from Pyramid, awaiting arrival.
- Solo cowl, color matched for Storm Fluo. Ordered from Pyramid, awaiting arrival.
- Front bars, might rotate forward to help with getting a bit more weight forward.
- Rear brake, need to adjust down a bit. Currently during commutes my right foot can't rest in a neutral position with the rear brake in the standard spot. I'd like it down about ~5 mm or so.
- Suspension setup. A pain to do solo, going to take it to a local suspension guru to get it dialed in. Plus his shop does service as well so I'll get the 600 mile break-in service done there at the same time. ~2 weeks to service time.