Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting this thread to document my MT-09 "build", also to help me keep track of a to-do list.. Basically adding some simple bolt on stuff to make it a solid commuter and sporty tourer. Will periodically update with pics as I get the parts installed along with a short write-up to share how I feel about it.

• GPS (old phone) mount. Already purchased and installed. Went with the Ram X-grip and the u-bolt configuration. Rock solid so far.
  • Horn upgrade. Already purchased and installed. Currently just sitting where the stock horn was. Problem is that I went with a "snail" shell design and it is quite hideous. When I have more time I'll relocate it to an area that's less visually offensive. I went with the Wolo High Tone since it doesn't draw much more power compared to the stock one.
  • Tank grips for my knee. Ordered a set of DKL griptape. It's sitting at home, just waiting for time off from work to cut it to fit.
  • Tank pad. Ordered a clear Puig one, had the same one on my previous bike.
  • Tank bag. Ordered a set of SW-Motech Ion Two with the ring. Installed today, pics to come. Not 100% sold on it, probably won't use it on long distance tours (cross country), but will be handy for daily commuting.
  • Tail bag. Ordered the SW-Motech Speedpack. Initially worried that it's just a bit too long to sit on the passenger seat and leave me enough space. Received it yesterday and I've test fit it on the bike, happy to say that it's just about perfect front to back. Once it's loaded and secured I think it'll be a great backrest as well. This bag is HUGE.
  • Hand guards. Will be ordering the grips from a MT-09 Tracer soon.
  • Kaoko throttle "lock". Waiting for a model that's compatible with handguards.
  • Windscreen. I plan on starting with a shorter length windscreen and see how much that helps.
  • Grip heaters. Will buy whenever the Yamaha OEM one is available.
  • USB accessory plug. Will buy whenever the Yamaha OEM one is available.
  • Rear shock protector. Ordered from Pyramid, awaiting arrival.
  • Solo cowl, color matched for Storm Fluo. Ordered from Pyramid, awaiting arrival.
  • Front bars, might rotate forward to help with getting a bit more weight forward.
  • Rear brake, need to adjust down a bit. Currently during commutes my right foot can't rest in a neutral position with the rear brake in the standard spot. I'd like it down about ~5 mm or so.
  • Suspension setup. A pain to do solo, going to take it to a local suspension guru to get it dialed in. Plus his shop does service as well so I'll get the 600 mile break-in service done there at the same time. ~2 weeks to service time.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Couldn't help myself and had to get a bit of cosmetics... Ordered a solo cowl from Pyramid Plastics in the UK, color matched to the Storm Fluo. Fitment of the top cowl is fine, and it actually looks good on its own without the side pieces. Once you put the side pieces on the panel gap becomes a bit more apparent but not a deal breaker. Just a quick picture for today because I'm still on my 12 hour shifts, will snap some detailed ones in the coming week.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Note the giant conch shell I have in place of the stock horn. That needs to move location somewhere but in the meantime it's staying up because it gets people's attention quite well.

The SW Motech Ion Two tankbag is great and will be used for commuting but not longer tours. I like being able to rest my chest on my tank bag occasionally and the plastic mount bracket will definitely not take that kind of weight. The bag is mounted as far forward as is possible while still allowing full steering lock. Initially I thought it might interfere with my body position on the bike but in reality I have not noticed the bag while riding at all.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the suspension dialed in at P1 Racing in Tomball today and break in service done. Took the opportunity to test out the SW Motech Speedpack on the ride up, all thumbs up so far.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So on the SW Motech Speedpack, it is absolutely MASSIVE. Max load on it is rated for ~44 lbs and it has a large main compartment as well as 2 "saddlebag" compartments. By itself it is pretty water resistant for riding through short showers but it does come with a "waterproof" liner inside. I don't understand why SW Motech does such a poor job of highlighting this bag's features. It's super trick... it has a bunch of different aluminum stays in the bag that helps keep a certain amount of rigidity. The upper stays (on the left and right side of the bag) are removable in case you need to cinch the bag further down to a smaller duffel shape. My initial impression was that this bag is way to big to be really usable, but after playing with it for a bit I'm loving the versatility.

I took it on a test run and loaded it with a bunch of groceries (~40 lbs worth). It didn't even come close to filling the bag completely. You'll need to be really careful to pack this bag meticulously on a tour because it would be super easy to overload it and really **** up your handling.

Pros of the bag:
  • Super versatile. Huge, but cinches down to a relatively small size. Saddlebag bits can be removed for a simple duffle with a rigid floor.
  • Water resistant. Comes with "waterproof" liners.
  • Really secure once strapped down. The rigid base helps, and the interior of the bag has straps connecting the front and rear mounting points. So when you strap it down it holds tension from within the bag. It's a great design.
  • Love the design.

Cons of the bag:
  • Really need to be careful how you pack the bag. Rigidity reduces the higher you pack it. On the ride home today I felt the upper part of the bag slowly inch forward whenever I brake. Bag volume is massive so careful packing and cinching down is a must!
  • "Waterproof" liners are very water resistant at best. However, the closure is a cinch top not a fold over like a drybag. There is no way to completely prevent water ingress into this bag, but if you pack it properly and fold the cinch closure away from the likely water entry points (zippered closure) it would be damn near waterproof.
  • Strap system works well but takes time to set up and take down. That being said it's 4 strap points and should take no longer than 2-3 minutes once you get used to the process. Rear strap needs to mount to a point that is basically behind the taillight, to provide the tension needed to keep it from sliding forward. This means that the massive stock fender is staying on, which isn't a deal breaker for me... Might be for most people though.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few pics of it loaded up.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product Sleeve Tire

Side compartments are deceptively large. 6 pack of beer for scale.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Main compartment is holding about 30+ lbs of groceries and no noticeable sag in the bag.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Interesting Thread! But unless my eyes glazed-over when reading your extensive list in post #1, I am surprised that a replacement seat does not feature. It could be that the 2021's seat is an improvement on the torture device on earlier MT's - care to comment? Good luck with this re-build!

Reactions: Budo

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I just have a plush ass because I don't have a big problem with the seat. Max miles I've done in a day so far is about 100 so I'll report back once I do a longer ride.

I will say that my previous big mileage bike was a Daytona 675 and I had no problem with the ultra firm and cardboard like seat back then. In comparison the MT-09's seat is super plush, which I hear might also not be a great thing for big miles. One way to find out.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha my brother in law is visiting from the UK with his two sons. I'm taking them camping this weekend. The will be a bit of rain, but not nearly as cold as the UK rains I'm told.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Hahah yep. Definitely not a daily setup. Will get pulled out for hill country camping trips or the occasional tour.
Was in Hill Country this spring, two days only :(, and it rained both of them. We did ride both days but it really affected how good the riding could have been. Long-assed drive to and from!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Interesting Thread! But unless my eyes glazed-over when reading your extensive list in post #1, I am surprised that a replacement seat does not feature. It could be that the 2021's seat is an improvement on the torture device on earlier MT's - care to comment? Good luck with this re-build!
I don't know...I have 19k miles on my stock seat, several 350+ mile days. Rarely do I think of the seat. Maybe I'm just a hard ass. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
740 Posts
No 'maybe' about it...;)

Reactions: Budo

·
Registered
438 Posts
Haha my brother in law is visiting from the UK with his two sons. I'm taking them camping this weekend. The will be a bit of rain, but not nearly as cold as the UK rains I'm told.
If it rains, you have the sleeping accommodations covered, you could sleep a family of 4 in that speedpack. 😄 (y)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I just have a plush ass because I don't have a big problem with the seat. Max miles I've done in a day so far is about 100 so I'll report back once I do a longer ride.

I will say that my previous big mileage bike was a Daytona 675 and I had no problem with the ultra firm and cardboard like seat back then. In comparison the MT-09's seat is super plush, which I hear might also not be a great thing for big miles. One way to find out.
where did you get the Speed Pack? Can’t seem to find it aside from overseas.

given I also seem to have bought the wrong bike for my use case (Should’ve gotten the Tracer 9 GT), this thread is of great interest to me;

currently have a DPM clone windscreen installed, works great up to 75 mph, past that you’re going to have to tuck. Waiting on the Puig touring windscreen! You’re definitely going to need some form of wind protection, and I don’t see any on your bike.

I strongly recommend an atlas throttle lock if you do not have an SP. it’s miles better than the typical throttle locks and stupid simple to use; you can adjust the speed while engaged while giving your right hand a break, a very useful feature given it’s tough to do on conventional cheap throttle locks. Buy the bottom mount kit if interested and use the thickest friction pad it comes with.

I also have a Shad 40L cargo top luggage box on my bike (which members of this forum seem to dislike), but it’s ultra convenient to dump stuff in and go, like my helmet and gloves for local errands. You can remove the box if not being used, but it never comes off my bike. I found the 40L top box to be more than sufficient for a days worth of gear and am very satisfied with it.

They sell USB adapters for the 21 09 on AliExpress for $18. Works just fine, kept my phone topped off all day while riding. I can take a picture of where I mounted mine if you are interested. You simply pop the plastic headlight housing off and there is an unused connector on the left side clipped in where this plugs into.
US $18.35 11% Off | MT-09 SP Motorcycle Accessories Dual USB Charger Plug Socket Adapter For YAMAHA MT09 2017 - 2021 XSR900 Tracer 900 MT07 XSR700

Ive pulled 250 mile days sustaining 90 mph on this setup with a buddy of mine on a Tiger 850 Sport with no issue. I do get jealous of my buddy riding in his little bubble while I’m in a full tuck though! My ass was barking a bit after 110-120 non stop miles on the saddle, but I usually need to fill up around that time anyway :)

I don’t think handguards are that necessary provided you have the right gloves. I have Knox Handroid Pod gloves which should offer a TON of protection against a stray pebble or rock hitting your hands.

My next (and final mods for a while) will be shorty levers and CRG LS bar end mirrors.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
where did you get the Speed Pack? Can’t seem to find it aside from overseas.

given I also seem to have bought the wrong bike for my use case (Should’ve gotten the Tracer 9 GT), this thread is of great interest to me;

currently have a DPM clone windscreen installed, works great up to 75 mph, past that you’re going to have to tuck. Waiting on the Puig touring windscreen! You’re definitely going to need some form of wind protection, and I don’t see any on your bike.

I strongly recommend an atlas throttle lock if you do not have an SP. it’s miles better than the typical throttle locks and stupid simple to use; you can adjust the speed while engaged while giving your right hand a break, a very useful feature given it’s tough to do on conventional cheap throttle locks. Buy the bottom mount kit if interested and use the thickest friction pad it comes with.

I also have a Shad 40L cargo top luggage box on my bike (which members of this forum seem to dislike), but it’s ultra convenient to dump stuff in and go, like my helmet and gloves for local errands. You can remove the box if not being used, but it never comes off my bike. I found the 40L top box to be more than sufficient for a days worth of gear and am very satisfied with it.

They sell USB adapters for the 21 09 on AliExpress for $18. Works just fine, kept my phone topped off all day while riding. I can take a picture of where I mounted mine if you are interested. You simply pop the plastic headlight housing off and there is an unused connector on the left side clipped in where this plugs into.
US $18.35 11% Off | MT-09 SP Motorcycle Accessories Dual USB Charger Plug Socket Adapter For YAMAHA MT09 2017 - 2021 XSR900 Tracer 900 MT07 XSR700

Ive pulled 250 mile days sustaining 90 mph on this setup with a buddy of mine on a Tiger 850 Sport with no issue. I do get jealous of my buddy riding in his little bubble while I’m in a full tuck though! My ass was barking a bit after 110-120 non stop miles on the saddle, but I usually need to fill up around that time anyway :)

I don’t think handguards are that necessary provided you have the right gloves. I have Knox Handroid Pod gloves which should offer a TON of protection against a stray pebble or rock hitting your hands.

My next (and final mods for a while) will be shorty levers and CRG LS bar end mirrors.
I picked up the Speedpack at Twisted Throttle during the black Friday sale. Looks like it's being discontinued in the US?

On the throttle lock, I've seen the Atlas and I don't know. Is it all plastic? Leaning towards the Kaoko just because I like the build quality.

Definitely getting a windscreen but I think I'll avoid the massive touring one. I like the Puig short screen and will likely get that or something similar. I also dig the Yamaha one but not sure how much it really deflects. All in all, with the slight change in geometry (front end dropped 15mm when I got the suspension tuned) my body is positioned a bit better to counter the wind as well. Becoming less of an issue the more I ride it.

Personally not a fan of the top box but you really can't beat the convenience. I'm still a bit vain I guess haha.

Will definitely order one of those USB adapters at some point. For now my battery pack fills that void.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I picked up the Speedpack at Twisted Throttle during the black Friday sale. Looks like it's being discontinued in the US?

On the throttle lock, I've seen the Atlas and I don't know. Is it all plastic? Leaning towards the Kaoko just because I like the build quality.

Definitely getting a windscreen but I think I'll avoid the massive touring one. I like the Puig short screen and will likely get that or something similar. I also dig the Yamaha one but not sure how much it really deflects. All in all, with the slight change in geometry (front end dropped 15mm when I got the suspension tuned) my body is positioned a bit better to counter the wind as well. Becoming less of an issue the more I ride it.

Personally not a fan of the top box but you really can't beat the convenience. I'm still a bit vain I guess haha.

Will definitely order one of those USB adapters at some point. For now my battery pack fills that void.
the atlas is an all aluminum piece; It also won’t interfere with bar end mirrors like the kaoko potentially would.

Im actually planning on doubling down on the wind protection and working on a custom solution which should resolve this issue for me once and for all. The custom bracket should also be able to support a small fly screen (Similar to what Madstad offers).

Yes, I shouldve bought a Tracer 9 :)

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the heads up, will definitely look into the Atlas now.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I highly recommend the MC Cruise, electronic cruise control. I use mine everyday and it’s a serious luxury for the price. All those throttle locks I’ve played with are terrible.

edit - wait, or look into an oem cruise control from an SP?

Wheel Motor vehicle Motorcycle Font Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 25 Posts