Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would avoid switching off the ABS.

If it is the ABS then it sounds like you are braking too hard / too late, and turning off the ABS may actually result in you locking the brakes / tires and crashing.

Im not sure you can turn off the ABS.

Try practicing progressive braking and emergency braking in a safe place (not on the road).
You can roll downhill with the engine/ electrics off and check the braking that way.
Don't try it with the steering locked

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'd put a dial indicator on the fork and spin the front wheel to measure the run-out on the rotors.

Is the vibration speed dependent?
Meaning, the pulsing slows down with you?
Well that would sound good, but I don't have that tool...
Well, I am going to check it again tomorrow, but from what I can remember it feels always the same, it just stops when I slow to a certain speed and I think it feels a bit more on the lever only.
Thank you for trying to help me!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You can roll downhill with the engine/ electrics off and check the braking that way.
Don't try it with the steering locked
Well I do that when I go into my building's garage, and I don't feel.anything at all... But it happens mostly at higher speeds anyway!
So that test won't be accurate...

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Yamaha dealer told me that it could be the feel of the brake pads hugging the disc...
I don't know anything anymore... Next week I am going to change the suspension oil, and I will give a good check on all the front of the bike.
Btw, if I upgrade my front springs I must do the same with the rear shock spring?
The guy who is selling the springs to me, has a lot of know how, and he says, the correct thing to do is change both because I am going to change the spring tare on front, I must do the same on the back.
But the local suspension guy, says I could just upgrade the front, and leave the rear has it is, what do you guys think?
Sorry for the new question, but I tought since this topic os still active it could serve the propouse.
Hope I am not breaking any rule!
If your sag numbers are Ok there's no need to change the rear spring, unless you want it firmer or softer

Reactions: JotaPT

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well that would sound good, but I don't have that tool...
Well, I am going to check it again tomorrow, but from what I can remember it feels always the same, it just stops when I slow to a certain speed and I think it feels a bit more on the lever only.
Thank you for trying to help me!
Hold a pencil or screw driver close to the rotor as you spin the wheel...same thing. Pretty sure you have a small bend in your rotor. Some wheel chucks can bend a rotor when you tie it down ,if you transport your bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hold a pencil or screw driver close to the rotor as you spin the wheel...same thing. Pretty sure you have a small bend in your rotor. Some wheel chucks can bend a rotor when you tie it down ,if you transport your bike.
So, I must hold the pencil close to the rotor, then spin the wheel, and if the pencil touches the rotor, it must be bend?
I didn't use wheel chucks to transport the bike, but I used it when I got my suspension setup for me...
Waiting for your answer, them I will try your method, thank you a lot!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
[email protected]:
Just found a tutorial on the subject.
I tested it with a small knife attached to a chair with ducktape, and it doesn't touch the rotor, only times I eard any noises was caused by me when I was making the wheel spin, and probably made the bike move a little bit...

·
Registered
209 Posts
The thing is, when I use the front brake hard, or on a heavy breaking situation, I feel kinda small vibration on the handlebars, wich doesn't happen at low speed (less than 80 miles per hour, more or less).
Is there any problem? Or is it just the tire griping to the road?
My bike has the suspension set to sport riding so it is steef, and I am a big guy.
Could be the brakes (possibly ABS activating), or the tires, or the road, but could also be your suspension.
Are the forks stock? The standard springs are pretty soft, and if you're big (how big?) and you get on the brakes hard you can end up at the bottom of the suspension which can cuase that chattering feeling. Put a zip tie around one of the fork legs and see where it ends up.

Prolly not really a good idea to go past that point or you'll end up picking gravel out of your teeth lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Could be the brakes (possibly ABS activating), or the tires, or the road, but could also be your suspension.
Are the forks stock? The standard springs are pretty soft, and if you're big (how big?) and you get on the brakes hard you can end up at the bottom of the suspension which can cuase that chattering feeling. Put a zip tie around one of the fork legs and see where it ends up.

Prolly not really a good idea to go past that point or you'll end up picking gravel out of your teeth lol
ABS, won't activate so easly, and would feel even more, I tought about tires, but they look alright.
About the suspension, yes, it is stock and weight like 100kg (bit more) and measure 1,80m (sorry Americans, I really don't know how to convert hahaha), but it is setup for my weight, and I am not using all the suspension to the botton, I also have a zip tie, to check that.
The only thing I can think about is trying to check the rotors again, and maybe my suspension being so hard causes that? But the bike behaves well and high speeds like 230km/h and on fast cornering so I am not sure about the suspension too, I am putting my bets on the rotors but I must check it better!

·
Registered
209 Posts
About the suspension, yes, it is stock and weight like 100kg (bit more) and measure 1,80m (sorry Americans, I really don't know how to convert hahaha), but it is setup for my weight, and I am not using all the suspension to the botton, I also have a zip tie, to check that.
How far is the zip tie from the very bottom of the chrome? Suspension bottom out is something like 12-14mm above the edge of the chrome.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts