Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I have a situation on my MT-09 SP wich I don't even know if it is a problem or not, so I hope you guys can help me!
The thing is, when I use the front brake hard, or on a heavy breaking situation, I feel kinda small vibration on the handlebars, wich doesn't happen at low speed (less than 80 miles per hour, more or less).
Is there any problem? Or is it just the tire griping to the road?
My bike has the suspension set to sport riding so it is steef, and I am a big guy.
So this maybe could be the reason why I seem to feel all the road that much on heavy breakings or is it another thing?
Sorry for the big text, and any English mistake!

Cheers, and thank you in advance!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would avoid switching off the ABS.

If it is the ABS then it sounds like you are braking too hard / too late, and turning off the ABS may actually result in you locking the brakes / tires and crashing.

Im not sure you can turn off the ABS.

Try practicing progressive braking and emergency braking in a safe place (not on the road).

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 2014 doesn't have ABS, and I am in no danger of locking up my brakes, even when I lift the rear wheel off the ground. Yes, you can turn off ABS.
He says it's a 2018. Im not sure you can turn off the ABS (without doing wheelies, or disabling a sensor, or removing a fuse).

I dont lock up my brakes either (2020 MT09SP) and regularly practice hard emergency braking.

BUT, if the rider is engaging the ABS (especially if he didnt know about it) then he IS locking the brakes.
If that is happening as a regular thing, then turning off the ABS wont stop him locking the brakes.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Yeah, I brake hard at speed not in parking lots. I was thinking about the 2021 model. I am very used to applying the right amount of pressure at the lever that I don't worry about panic stops. Experience in crazy situations has made it so that my heart rate never spikes when confronted with immediate danger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would avoid switching off the ABS.

If it is the ABS then it sounds like you are braking too hard / too late, and turning off the ABS may actually result in you locking the brakes / tires and crashing.

Im not sure you can turn off the ABS.

Try practicing progressive braking and emergency braking in a safe place (not on the road).
I didn't actually mean ABS, I was talking about switching to the TCS off, sorry for the mistake, maybe it is worth trying.
The ABS, like you said, can't bem turned off, I think...
Well you are correct, it happens when I brake kinda hard...
My old bike was Hornet from 2006, so I am not used to all this technology yet, it could be that...
My hornet also had braided steel lines, that helped a lot on dosing the ammount of braking input!
Thank you for trying to help, I will post the results of the test when I try it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A
He says it's a 2018. Im not sure you can turn off the ABS (without doing wheelies, or disabling a sensor, or removing a fuse).

I dont lock up my brakes either (2020 MT09SP) and regularly practice hard emergency braking.

BUT, if the rider is engaging the ABS (especially if he didnt know about it) then he IS locking the brakes.
If that is happening as a regular thing, then turning off the ABS wont stop him locking the brakes.
Yes I can't turn the ABS off...
I am not sure if that is the cause, because it also happens when I brake slowly, the only time os doesn't happen is at low speed, but anytime I brake at higher speeds it happens, so I am not sure if the cause is too much force on the lever, I must test to know...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I brake hard at speed not in parking lots. I was thinking about the 2021 model. I am very used to applying the right amount of pressure at the lever that I don't worry about panic stops. Experience in crazy situations has made it so that my heart rate never spikes when confronted with immediate danger.
I am not sure if it is the ABS, ir TCS...
My handlebar ia stable without hands at any speed, so I think it also isn't the discs, or suspension...
But I will try switch the TCS mode...
Thank you also, for your help!

·
Registered
129 Posts
JotaPT,

The TCS should not cause any vibrations on braking, it only has effect on acceleration, to minimise wheel spin, so it controls power to the rear wheel.

If you are getting vibration in the handle bars with gentle braking at higher speeds (removing ABS from the possible reasons), then that sounds like something may be loose or broken.

What sort of vibration is it? can you see it? or just feel it in your hands?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JotaPT,

The TCS should not cause any vibrations on braking, it only has effect on acceleration, to minimise wheel spin, so it controls power to the rear wheel.

If you are getting vibration in the handle bars with gentle braking at higher speeds (removing ABS from the possible reasons), then that sounds like something may be loose or broken.

What sort of vibration is it? can you see it? or just feel it in your hands?
I changed the brake oil with a friend, and he didn't had the diagnosis tool to do "open" the ABS, but it probably doesn't have nothing to do with this problem... The only thing is there was a bit of oil that wasn't changed, but it won't affect anything probably.
The bike is in mint condition and doesn't make any noises on bad roads... I don't really know...

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I haven't ridden an ABS equipped bike for years, but there was no way you could mistake the rapid pulsation for anything else.
What's an 09 like when it activates?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't ridden an ABS equipped bike for years, but there was no way you could mistake the rapid pulsation for anything else.
What's an 09 like when it activates?
Well, like you said I think the ABS pulsation feels stronger than what I am experiencing in this situation.
The conclusions I am getting are maybe I have something loose, or it is just the bike losing speed through the wind, and the tire griping to the road.
But in my opinion it should be more smooth during braking...

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
That's what I thought. I'd be checking the front tyre for any abnormality like out of round, out of true or bulging. Especially if it might be demlaminating.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yamaha dealer told me that it could be the feel of the brake pads hugging the disc...
I don't know anything anymore... Next week I am going to change the suspension oil, and I will give a good check on all the front of the bike.
Btw, if I upgrade my front springs I must do the same with the rear shock spring?
The guy who is selling the springs to me, has a lot of know how, and he says, the correct thing to do is change both because I am going to change the spring tare on front, I must do the same on the back.
But the local suspension guy, says I could just upgrade the front, and leave the rear has it is, what do you guys think?
Sorry for the new question, but I tought since this topic os still active it could serve the propouse.
Hope I am not breaking any rule!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts