Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from New Zealand, coming out of a very mild winter and still managed to get a few rides in over the past few months. Have just adjusted the ECU CO level on the dash to 3 across all cylinders, and taken the slack out of the throttle, its now a different bike, wow, throttle is smoother and the motor does not hunt down in the lower rev ranges at light throttle setting like it used to, sweet as. Next job is progressive springs front and rear, 10w fork oil and fitting the 2005 model ZX10R shock, next will be stainless brake lines and decent pads. The bike is awesome, Im going to delve into the standard muffler, rip the catalyst out, graft on a bigger outlet pipe and drill some holes in the baffles, weld it up again, should be interesting. This forum is awesome and has given me a few ideas to sort my stead out, I weight 115kg and the suspension is hopeless containing my weight. Cheers

Reactions: whitenite

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Aloha and welcome to the forum, Kiwi. It is a great bike and the mods you mentioned should go a long way to making an even better ride. For me, coming from an R6, which I didn't really feel the need to do so many mods on, this bike is infinitely customizable to suit the owners needs and usage--I love it. This is an awesome forum with an bunch of fellow gearheads who have an answer for any question we may have and are more than willing to offer their advice-GREAT group of people.
Of course, you have to post some pics of your 09--it's obligatory and we'd love to see them. Ride safe down there my fellow Pacific 09er....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to get the official Yamaha reflash done very soon by my local dealer, should be interesting :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hello from New Zealand, coming out of a very mild winter and still managed to get a few rides in over the past few months. Have just adjusted the ECU CO level on the dash to 3 across all cylinders, and taken the slack out of the throttle, its now a different bike, wow, throttle is smoother and the motor does not hunt down in the lower rev ranges at light throttle setting like it used to, sweet as. Next job is progressive springs front and rear, 10w fork oil and fitting the 2005 model ZX10R shock, next will be stainless brake lines and decent pads. The bike is awesome, Im going to delve into the standard muffler, rip the catalyst out, graft on a bigger outlet pipe and drill some holes in the baffles, weld it up again, should be interesting. This forum is awesome and has given me a few ideas to sort my stead out, I weight 115kg and the suspension is hopeless containing my weight. Cheers
Hi ,fellow Kiwi

Don't fit progressive springs,they are pointless.Just get straight rate springs that are correct for your weight.
Talk to Robert Taylor at Kiwi Suspension Solutions.He has done several MT09s,including mine,and has the specs for suitable Nitron Shocks and Andreanni cartridges.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi ,fellow Kiwi

Don't fit progressive springs,they are pointless.Just get straight rate springs that are correct for your weight.
Talk to Robert Taylor at Kiwi Suspension Solutions.He has done several MT09s,including mine,and has the specs for suitable Nitron Shocks and Andreanni cartridges.
Cheers for the advice and his work is impressive, spoken to Robert, by the time you have spent about $1000 on the forks for a basic linear rate spring upgrade (600 for the bits and 300 plus for fitment) and revalve to the original catridges (Andreanni cartridges are 1200? plus fitting) and $1300 on a nitron shock my wallet could not handle the damage, been quoted $430 for progressive springs from an Aussie outfit, 12.5 weight oil, fit my ZX10R shock and it should be a marked improvement on what I have now, not perfect but better, Im going to give the aftermarket time to catch up and hopefully the prices will go down, wont be selling this bike so in a couple of years time when prices have halved and my wallet is heavier I will get it all done properly, Ohlins cartridge and shock kit lists for $1400 NZD on Ebay out of Italy, but a second hand TTX for a ZX6RR (bolt in fit pretty much) would be a great combination with those cartridges. Same goes with the exhaust systems, reflashes, PCVs, air filters etc everything is too dear because the bike is new, popular and everybody is going mad with mods, give it all time and things will settle down, at least I hope.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Final setting all cylinders to was one, slightly richer, standard is zero, much nicer on the throttle once the cable was adjusted (no slack), once I gut the muffler then I may go up again, hold down both dash buttons at once then turn the key on while holding them down, keep holding them down till diag shows up on dash, hit select button and it should show CO, hit both buttons till a small 1 shows on dash, hold down both again and a big zero will show up, left button goes richer, try it on 2, hold down both buttons, release, a small one will come back up, hit select button then a small 2 will show up, repeat the same as per cylinder one, then do the same on three, always go back to the small cylinder number. then turn off key, turn on and start bike, adjust your throttle cable first so there is no slack, the adjuster is a few inches down the cable from the throttle tube, adjust your chain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts