Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just got home with a new MT-09. For the 1.5 hour ride home I found the seat to be comfy. The cold (45F) air was more annoying than anything else.

Couple quick critiques.
  1. Holy cow the clutch is light! Barely have to pull the lever. Learning the bite point is harder than any other bike I've ridden. After 1.5 hours on the bike I still haven't dialed it in.
    • Grabbing first gear is a PITA right now. The engine needs to be at ~2.5k rpm otherwise there's some lugging. Idle is at 1.3k to 1.5k RPM. The ramp up means I'm hitting close to 3k RPM before the clutch is fully engaged. I'm guessing that's normal for a higher revving bike than I'm used to. I'm used to a pretty wide / progressive bite point.
  2. 5th gear is louder than the rest. Gear whine is noticeable whereas other gears aren't noticeable.
  3. Seat is a bit tall for someone with a 28" inseam. Can't flat foot without shifting my butt partially to one side. I knew this going in, but in reality it's annoying when I could flat foot all my previous bikes.
  4. Click wheel is a little temperamental.
Now for the good stuff.
  1. Holy cow this bike accelerates fast! Even when keeping the bike under 6k RPM. Shifting before I hit 6k RPM (per break in) means shifting thought the gears happens really fast. Looking forward to using the whole powerband.
  2. Seat is comfy. I can slide forward and back and side to side without any ill effects (ie, no crushed balls or sore butt). Riding position in general is rock solid for me at 5ft 9in, even with a really short inseam.
  3. There's enough of a difference between the 4 riding modes to justify using them.
  4. Default suspension feels good, especially in corners. It's a bit stiff for my liking, though, so I'll probably soften it a little to deal with bumpy roads.
  5. While seemingly small, especially at first glance, the 3.5" dash is perfectly legible and informative. Would 4" have been better? Yes, but I wouldn't go any bigger personally.
Random notes.
  1. The holes in the rear disc are ~6.8mm in diameter. A 6.5mm or smaller disc brake lock should fit.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Any info on available accessories such as screens and rear luggage/ carry-racks, etc? Your initial view seems OK, but a pity you cannot do anything about that 28" inseam. I too hate tippy-toeing! Look forward to more words as your ownership and riding proceeds.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The engine needs to be at ~2.5k rpm otherwise there's some lugging.
This is intriguing. I’m wondering if this is just a more aggressive clutch/springs. My 2015 can idle itself around, clutch out, without lugging. Plenty of torque at idle to propel it and me around.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Any info on available accessories such as screens and rear luggage/ carry-racks, etc? Your initial view seems OK, but a pity you cannot do anything about that 28" inseam. I too hate tippy-toeing! Look forward to more words as your ownership and riding proceeds.
The EU site lists the available OEM accessories: Yamaha MT-09 - Accessories (yamaha-motor.eu) Not a whole lot there for the '21 yet, though.
/edit - The US site has a few as well and does a better job of indicating which year models are compatible: Browse Yamaha Hyper Naked Motorcycle Accessories (shopyamaha.com)

This is intriguing. I’m wondering if this is just a more aggressive clutch/springs. My 2015 can idle itself around, clutch out, without lugging. Plenty of torque at idle to propel it and me around.
It can propel the bike down low, it just feels rough, a little rumbly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Real lack of accessories available for the 21 it seems. Had hoped i could use the SW Motech blaze panniers support arms on the new bike but it seems the footpeg assembly is different and it won't fit. Also Yamaha seem to be all out of screens for the bike also

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 31" inseam, and could barely flatfoot when sitting on a '21 09. Any less, and cornering clearance would be crap, so that's what you get with any kind of sporty, or sport bike. You can only get less seat height on cruisers, or small standards.

As far as the 5th gear whine, my guess is it's probably the 1:1 ratio, but still, it shouldn't whine. The question is if all others are like that. If yes, I wouldn't worry about it, meaning it's 'the nature of the beast' :).

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
One of the many reasons I went with the MT-09 was the seat looked the most pillion friendly. However, now that I see the max weight is 366lb and we're about 25lb over that combined (thanks Covid-19 weight gains!) I'm a bit leary of riding two-up.

Gonna be at least 3-4 weeks of daily riding before I even offer a ride to a passenger. Need to get at least 90% comfortable with the bike, and this one seems like it has a much bigger learning curve than when I went from a '75 Honda CB200 (12 HP) to a '15 Duc Scrambler (74 HP).

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
901 Posts
Is that really the weight limit? Lol hell I'm 260 naked... I've taken passengers out. Not the best bike for it but it can still be done. Two up I'm certainly over that 366lb limit...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would not exceed the limit myself, but even at the limit, I imagine you'd need to crank up the rear preload to the max, no? Otherwise the bike would handle horribly, with the front way up. And also drag easily as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't think it's the type of bike for two up riding tbh. The passenger seat looks like an after thought.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So after adding a little slack to the clutch cable I think I've zeroed in on clutch engagement. I can feather the clutch a bit better and it made the pull feel a little more "normal", this being my first slipper/assist clutch. Also the ride mode makes a difference. In mode 1 the revs jump so quickly it's practically impossible to engage the clutch fully before hitting 2.5-3k RPM. Whereas in mode 3 the throttle is way easier to feather down low in the 1.5-2.5k range.

I also think the more I engage the clutch in the 1.5-2.5k range the smoother the engagement is, getting less of a rough, rumbly feeling from the engine or transmission. I guess that's what break-ins are for :p. That or my muscle memory is compensating subconsciously, haha.

I let the RPMs go up to 7-7.5k-ish yesterday. Jeebus, I thought the bike was already fast... it really takes off after 6.5k. My goodness. I was filled with both glee and fear for my life! Also, that about matches the torque curve from Dynobike's video.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
2 Posts
So after adding a little slack to the clutch cable I think I've zeroed in on clutch engagement. I can feather the clutch a bit better and it made the pull feel a little more "normal", this being my first slipper/assist clutch. Also the ride mode makes a difference. In mode 1 the revs jump so quickly it's practically impossible to engage the clutch fully before hitting 2.5-3k RPM. Whereas in mode 3 the throttle is way easier to feather down low in the 1.5-2.5k range.

I also think the more I engage the clutch in the 1.5-2.5k range the smoother the engagement is, getting less of a rough, rumbly feeling from the engine or transmission. I guess that's what break-ins are for :p. That or my muscle memory is compensating subconsciously, haha.

I let the RPMs go up to 7-7.5k-ish yesterday. Jeebus, I thought the bike was already fast... it really takes off after 6.5k. My goodness. I was filled with both glee and fear for my life! Also, that about matches the torque curve from Dynobike's video.
Just rode my MT-09 home last night. I would agree with much of what you have mentioned. Coming from my Honda CB300FA to this MT-09 feels like I am riding a rocket. Can't wait to get more familiar with this bike and ride it to it's potential. Pretty sure I'm going to have a smile on my face all summer!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts