Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

As you probably know I picked up my 2021 last week.
I had the opportunities to take it for some rides over the weekend.

It is great and very easy to drive, light bike, handling is very precise. Suspensions are firm and I feel confident with it.

I have been riding for 20 years, but only small motorcycle (a couple of 50cc, a couple of 125cc, a 250cc and the Duke 390) and I never drove something bigger than the Duke 390, so I was a bit "worried" driving the MT-09, but everything goes well so far. I am careful and anyways for now I am doing the break-in :)

Here a few pictures, I will also share more impressions and things a like/dislike about it soon.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Given your riding experience, how do you find the new quick shifter and auto blip? My FZ is the first bike I’ve put one on, and it has completely changed my life for riding. I’m curious what you think of it. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
i guess i kinda did the same as you, I graduated from my Honda PCX 150cc scooter that i rode for 8 fun years to my 2020 MT09. A bit of a wake up call going to the larger displacement, but honestly a pleasure after getting used to power and weight of the bike. Good luck with the new bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice bike but can't say the same for your roads!
Yes roads are not very well maintain here. But I took the pictures on a side gravel road, I just stopped there and did not ride on that lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Given your riding experience, how do you find the new quick shifter and auto blip? My FZ is the first bike I’ve put one on, and it has completely changed my life for riding. I’m curious what you think of it. :)
I really like the quick shifter, first time I have that on a bike so I cannot really compare. But that thing is great.

I only drove the bike for 300km and still doing the break-in. To be honest, I am surprised how it is nice and easy to drive. The riding position is perfect to me. I will share more details as soon as I have put more miles on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess i kinda did the same as you, I graduated from my Honda PCX 150cc scooter that i rode for 8 fun years to my 2020 MT09. A bit of a wake up call going to the larger displacement, but honestly a pleasure after getting used to power and weight of the bike. Good luck with the new bike.
Yes exactly, thank you Chris!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Lookin' good!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The paint job looks really good in overcast conditions, as well as in the few full sun pics I've seen. I'm curious to see how it looks at night, which is kinda hard to capture via camera.

I went from a '75 Honda CB200 (first bike) to the '15 Duc Scrambler. Went from ~12hp to 74hp. My muscle memory clicked in as I pulled out of the dealer's parking lot and pulled an unintentionally wheelie. I was so used to opening up full throttle on the CB200 to accelerate "normally". Quickly learned to adjust my throttle control.

·
Vendor
1,467 Posts
that chart looks like the ecu is closing the throttle and that air box looks like there is some room for work, im excited to see what she will do uncorked

now the wait starts for woolich or ftecu to crack the ecu

·
Vendor
1,467 Posts
Hello guys,

It is great and very easy to drive, light bike, handling is very precise. Suspensions are firm and I feel confident with it.

I have been riding for 20 years, but only small motorcycle (a couple of 50cc, a couple of 125cc, a 250cc and the Duke 390) and I never drove something bigger than the Duke 390, so I was a bit "worried" driving the MT-09, but everything goes well so far. I am careful and anyways for now I am doing the break-in :)

Here a few pictures, I will also share more impressions and things a like/dislike about it soon.

View attachment 164304 View attachment 164305 View attachment 164306
congrats!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
With Euro5, it probably won't be easy to crack the ECU, but we'll see :). The good news is reviews report almost spot-on fueling on the 2 bikes I'm considering (MT-09, 890 Duke), so no need to mess with the ECU at all in my case. As far as top speed, I don't think it has much more than the 130 it's limited to, but wouldn't run a naked that fast anyway. Besides, you might need miles to reach that speed. Ha ha. Even my ex-MT-10 struggled a little to reach 130.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello guys,

View attachment 164304 View attachment 164305 View attachment 164306
It’s a great bike you will be super happy with it, fantastic for commuting or track
Match it up with Bridgestone RS10 and EBC Brake Pads 🔥🔥 after break in. Always use Yamalube and Engine Ice it will run approximately 10 degrees cooler. I commute and Track mine. Learn the Throttle in settings 1 and A modes, on slow turns that is the secret to throttle control.
This Bike has a lot of power on the low end. 😆✊
50F63A55-E3BA-4136-839E-5D6D44A05148.jpeg
4388F00D-4ABC-4D8A-A7CE-665D50669B70.jpeg
1777C658-A55A-4C52-B75A-E4567463EA1D.jpeg

have fun, I call mine Grandpa’s Therapy
H77
Miami Fl 🤝
50F63A55-E3BA-4136-839E-5D6D44A05148.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello H77,

Thanks so much for the great post. I will keep in mind your advices for the brakes pads, coolant and tires :)

Your pictures look great!!

Cheers,
killza

1 - 20 of 36 Posts