Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I received my 2021 SP 3 weeks ago and I'm still in the break in period with 600kms (400 miles) on it.
What has happened 3 times now ,is that when the engine is idling with the clutch lever pulled (like you do at a stop light) when I open the throttle to get started,the engine just dies ,like the ignition gets cut.No warning lights on the dash,all the electronics work.Then I push the starter ,engine starts like nothing happened and everything is ok.
It has happened twice at a stop light and once while I was lane splitting at low speed and had the clutch pulled and 1st gear in.
A friend working at a workshop told me that it could be due to bad gasoline or overfilling the tank ,as due to euro 5 the gasoline from the overflow gets back to the airbox and it could mess the fuel mix momentarily.
Truth is that I fueled up yesterday and they kind of overfilled it,so I will have to watch for it the nexti time.
Any other ideas on what else could be responsible for it?
Fortunately is hasn't occured with gear in while driving,as this could be pretty dangerous.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello,

I received my 2021 SP 3 weeks ago and I'm still in the break in period with 600kms (400 miles) on it.
What has happened 3 times now ,is that when the engine is idling with the clutch lever pulled (like you do at a stop light) when I open the throttle to get started,the engine just dies ,like the ignition gets cut.No warning lights on the dash,all the electronics work.Then I push the starter ,engine starts like nothing happened and everything is ok.
It has happened twice at a stop light and once while I was lane splitting at low speed and had the clutch pulled and 1st gear in.
A friend working at a workshop told me that it could be due to bad gasoline or overfilling the tank ,as due to euro 5 the gasoline from the overflow gets back to the airbox and it could mess the fuel mix momentarily.
Truth is that I fueled up yesterday and they kind of overfilled it,so I will have to watch for it the nexti time.
Fortunately is hasn't occured with gear in while driving,as this could be pretty dangerous.
For what it's worth, I've had the airbox out of my SP, and the only hose that was disconnected from it was the engine breather; the fuel overflows are completely separate from the airbox and don't interact with it in any way that I can see.

I've not had any issues with the engine stalling. If it continues to occur, you might try switching the driving mode and see if it gets any worse/better.

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For what it's worth, I've had the airbox out of my SP, and the only hose that was disconnected from it was the engine breather; the fuel overflows are completely separate from the airbox and don't interact with it in any way that I can see.

I've not had any issues with the engine stalling. If it continues to occur, you might try switching the driving mode and see if it gets any worse/better.
Ok,so the overflow is out of the equation.
Good idea,I'll try another mode.It happened again an hour ago,so it's twice during a day.
I'll definetely get it to a dealer to check it next week.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What rpm is the bike idling at? Maybe it's a little low?
Or possibly just an intermittent software glitch, being a new model and all.

If it happens while you're moving, you can try dropping the clutch to see if it will kick the engine back on, like a push start. Even with a slipper clutch there should be enough friction for the engine to catch. You can try testing it out in a safe area.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's interesting that it doesnt have an AIS system (on previous gens there were two big hoses going into airbox). Maybe a different type of catalytic converter that makes it unnecessary.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's interesting that it doesnt have an AIS system (on previous gens there were two big hoses going into airbox). Maybe a different type of catalytic converter that makes it unnecessary.
Yes, no AIS equipment on the valve cover or anything. Just the ignition coils and the single large tube to the airbox for the breather.

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
does the bike have a charcoal canister , these are what cause an issue when you overfill the gas tank

that usually presents itself with hard starting not stalling but i guess it could present itself with stalling

·
Registered
84 Posts
does the bike have a charcoal canister , these are what cause an issue when you overfill the gas tank

that usually presents itself with hard starting not stalling but i guess it could present itself with stalling
I couldn’t locate any charcoal canister or anything of the like when I had the tank off, but to be fair I was more focused on getting the air box out so I could run some wiring.

It’s definitely possible the Cali bikes have a bunch of equipment the rest don’t have though

·
Registered
207 Posts
I couldn’t locate any charcoal canister or anything of the like when I had the tank off, but to be fair I was more focused on getting the air box out so I could run some wiring.
The canister's visible from outside on this generation, it's mounted on top of the starter motor.

It’s definitely possible the Cali bikes have a bunch of equipment the rest don’t have though
Looking through the US and Euro parts fiches, it looks like the only bikes that don't have the canister are the 49 state bikes. California bikes also have different ECU's than 49, haven't seen that in a while.
Not sure if Canadian bikes follow 49-state or Cali emissions...

·
Registered
84 Posts
The canister's visible from outside on this generation, it's mounted on top of the starter motor.

Looking through the US and Euro parts fiches, it looks like the only bikes that don't have the canister are the 49 state bikes. California bikes also have different ECU's than 49, haven't seen that in a while.
Not sure if Canadian bikes follow 49-state or Cali emissions...
We usually follow suit with the 49-state. Just looked and there’s definitely no charcoal canister on my SP, and the Canadian Yamaha parts fiche seems to confirm that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello,

OK?! You mean you have a bike that you can STILL SMELL “New” on it. AND…you’re asking a question HERE what’s wrong with it??? For three weeks you’ve experienced this issue??? Sorry, but WTF am I missing here?! My 2017 FZ09 has NEVER done that and I’ve run 2cycle oil mix gasoline in it! My friend (I place slowly a kind gentle arm on his shoulders) your DESTINY is with the D E A L E R ! Regardless of why, how, & what now? Your focus should be solely on RIDING YOUR S/P safely and with zest! For the First YEAR!!!! Any and all problems (unless you created them with aftermarket accessories!) are not you problem AT ALL! By the way, your bikes idle is set wrong by the ECM. It needs to be MAP then flashed again.

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What rpm is the bike idling at? Maybe it's a little low?
Or possibly just an intermittent software glitch, being a new model and all.

If it happens while you're moving, you can try dropping the clutch to see if it will kick the engine back on, like a push start. Even with a slipper clutch there should be enough friction for the engine to catch. You can try testing it out in a safe area.
It doesn't happen with gear engaged until now.Only with the clutch pulled,when I'm either stopped or rolling.
Idle speed is about 1200rpm.

I think there is a canister just above the starter.
OK?! You mean you have a bike that you can STILL SMELL “New” on it. AND…you’re asking a question HERE what’s wrong with it??? For three weeks you’ve experienced this issue??? Sorry, but WTF am I missing here?! My 2017 FZ09 has NEVER done that and I’ve run 2cycle oil mix gasoline in it! My friend (I place slowly a kind gentle arm on his shoulders) your DESTINY is with the D E A L E R ! Regardless of why, how, & what now? Your focus should be solely on RIDING YOUR S/P safely and with zest! For the First YEAR!!!! Any and all problems (unless you created them with aftermarket accessories!) are not you problem AT ALL! By the way, your bikes idle is set wrong by the ECM. It needs to be MAP then flashed again.
Well you are not wrong,just asking to see if the previous models had an issue like that.The bike will definetely go to the dealer to sort that out,but as stated below,I don't think it'll be easy to replicate the issue.
ill bet $20 the dealer wont be able to replicate the issue and pass it off as nothing

but I agree worth the aggravation of getting it documented
That's what I think too.I don't know if they even have the software or plug for the new model as it's pretty new.

I'm trying the 2nd mode to check if it happens there.
It's better for use in city actually.Easier to start from stop lights as mode 1 is a bit aggresive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Because ita new bike as you said you press the clutch with 1st gear on it and when you disangage the clutch the engine dies or while pressing the clutch and you open the throttle?it seems like needs more throttle to start because you are in braking period and you have more air than fuel.In 1st mode the map is designed for higher rpm use and more aggresive ride.i think its user problem. If you find the sweet spot that happens then you can do that all day.

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's not stalling because the clutch disengases before I open the throttle.
I've tried that too and if you leave the clutch without opening the throttle,the ecu opens throttle a bit automatically.That's propably why the clutch switch has two positions (you can feel two clicks when you leave the clutch).
Without leaving the clutch lever at all (so gear is completely disengased) if I open throttle,then puff,engine cuts off.
Nevertheless I believe it's a programming issue and it will be solved with an update from yamaha but I'll get it checked next week just in case something else is going on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's not stalling because the clutch disengases before I open the throttle.
I've tried that too and if you leave the clutch without opening the throttle,the ecu opens throttle a bit automatically.That'spably why the clutch switch has two positions (you can feel two clicks when you leave the clutch).
Without leaving the clutch lever at all (so gear is completely disengased) if I open throttle,then puff,engine cuts off.
Nevertheless I believe it's a programming issue and it will be solved with an update from yamaha but I'll get it checked next week just in case something else is going on.
Your clutch switch mainly has two positions (clicks) because you’ve got cruise control. The first click as you pull the lever in, cuts the cruise control if it’s active, the second is the starter failsafe that prevents you from starting the bike in gear without the clutch disengaged.

That said, I suppose its possible that the ECU also uses the second position to slightly increase the throttle angle as you pull away, but I myself haven’t noticed that on my SP

1 - 20 of 91 Posts