Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Remember this guy? The review he did on the MT-09 was a hoot. This one is not quite as funny, no does he poop in his pants this time, but he does a nice job. Cager on Two Wheels sings the praises of Yamaha considering he actually owns a Honda.

He split the review in to two parts. Kind of long, but he covers the bike. He may have pooped a little on part two.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Pretty cool stuff! I checked some of the specs and was slightly disappointed that they went with the inline-twin.

A Yamaha V-twin at a great intro price would be an awesome choice as a "modern SV650".

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Pretty cool stuff! I checked some of the specs and was slightly disappointed that they went with the inline-twin.

A Yamaha V-twin at a great intro price would be an awesome choice as a "modern SV650".
I'm an engine idiot. What's the biggest difference between an inline twin and v twin - is it less low end torque? Any advantages of an inline over a v?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
A 90 degree v-twin inherently has perfect primary balance, a parallel twin inherently has a good bit of vibration, depending on whether it has 180 degree, 270 degree or 360 degree firing order; in the old days a parallel twin the size of that used in the Super Tenere would have been unthinkable. Counterbalancer technology really has come a long way...

A parallel twin is quite a bit less costly to build than a v-twin; one cylinder head instead of two, one or two camshafts instead of two or four, one cam chain instead of two, and so on... It's also shorter, making it easier to mount the engine closer to the front wheel and thus put weight on the front tire.

Edit: Just to clarify in case anyone wasn't sure what I meant, a parallel twin is shorter front-to-back, not in terms of height.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the explanation Yoyo. I didn't understand the benefits/down sides myself. Old "cager" did mention he could feel the rumble in his "bum." But I got the impression that he liked it.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Seems like a very interesting fellow, I don't know how he can ride a NC700X having test rode the 09 and the 07. I sat on one and felt a dweeb. Its the clear smart bike to get in terms of usability, versatility, mpgs, price. But it just doesn't have the soul of the FZ09/07 or the power/lightness. But i'm sure he has priorities other than the insanity that the 09 provides.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The inline twin has better weight distribution. SVs are heavier on the rear wheel than front, which leads to understeer. Ask me how I know. Plus with the 270 degree crank, the FZ-07 has similar power pulses to a 90 degree V motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts