Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gudday!

Ray here from NewZealand, found this forum after a small Google search, After hearing through the grape vine the MT-07 could be coming to NZ, so thought as I'm in the market, I'd do a bit of research.

Turns out, although it could be coming to NZ, to fit in with our LAMs (learner Motorcycle Approved) government legislation, the bike would have to have a smaller bore.

So would likely to be around 660cc instead of the almost 700cc in other countries.

Do you guys think this would make much of a difference to the bikes overall performance?

Thoughts?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
This purpose-built 655cc motor in the MT-07 is intriguing. Post some pics and some insight into the engine and performance when you get it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very disappointed we don't get the fullblooded one. The LAMS market is very lucrative so it probably makes sense from a Yamaha point of view. But sucky from a fully licensed point of view given how much the MT07 is liked by the rags.

Not that I'd ever get one... I like my 9 too much!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Red Baron seem to think it is coming in both configuration LAMS vs Non LAMS

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Aussie market uses nerfed KTM 690's via an ECU flash to limit HP to 40

Im guessig the detuned version is just an ECU flash...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The Aussie market uses nerfed KTM 690's via an ECU flash to limit HP to 40

Im guessig the detuned version is just an ECU flash...
yep, they wouldn't go through all the trouble of reducing displacement on an existing model for a tiny market like new zealand. reducing power is easy to do with electronics.

or, the mt-07 simply won't be classified as a learner motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
In Aus, it needs to be less that 660 cc to be classed as a learner bike, and be within a power to weight ratio. The ktm 690 isn't approved, the old ktm 625 smc is, but the 640 sm wasn't even though the smc was a harder edged moto.
Triumph dowsized the capacity to make a learner bike out of the street triplle, probably also has some ecu programming as well.

In the early days of the LAMS, they would hobble the bikes performance by putting a throttle stop in so you couldn't get full throttle, or a screw in the throttle butterflies so they couldn't open fully.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it's all been announced and all has been revealed.
I'm yet to get my hands on one for a ride but it's going to be an in restricted 655cc inline twin engine.

All reports indicate this won't kill much of the fun, and there are ways of getting an easy 10hp out of the bike for those who really want to.

I won't be getting mine untill around the 22 or 23 September so anyone else who rides one before then, give us al update.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Give us some pics and real world thoughts please

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
real world thoughts...
at low speeds the bike is very hard to ride, as the gearing is rather long,
but at anything over 20kph, its a dream, so much torque, on a winding New Zealand back country road, sitting in 2nd gear around 40-60kph, and just winding on the throttle, then off again and using the engine to do the breaking, its so well balanced, it inspires so much confidence.

im now due for the first 100k service, the chain has streched and its an absolute pig at low speeds. but once this is done it will be back to being a complete dream to ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts