Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any input, reviews and/or comparison is appreciated. I'm only interested in function, not aesthetics.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Once again, I'm Moving this thread to the proper section

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I have the MRA Touring and it is perfect. I did not want the Vario because I hate any view obstruction when I am in a normal ride position. I thought about trimming my screen, but after a few rides, I did not want to give up any wind protection. In the flesh it does not appear to me as big as it does in the pictures. I have taken the bike into the 130mph range and the wind does not beat me to death like it did at 85mph without a screen. Also, I originally thought that I would want another smaller screen for around town, but I have decided that it is a do-all for me.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The Vario Touring is going to do a MUCH better job of keeping the wind off of your chest. However you won't notice too much of a difference unless you're sitting perfectly upright. Once you get into any sort of tuck (as most people naturally do when moving at higher speeds or riding more aggressively), the differences become a lot less noticeable.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I cut down my screen and removed the portion the the vario blade. It was too noisy, directing the air right under my chin no matter how I adjusted it. I either needed it angled lower or higher. Since it was fluttering at high speeds I chose to lower it. I'm very happy with it now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I cut down my screen and removed the portion the the vario blade. It was too noisy, directing the air right under my chin no matter how I adjusted it. I either needed it angled lower or higher. Since it was fluttering at high speeds I chose to lower it. I'm very happy with it now.
I took the extra blade off. It reduced turbulance. However I am going to build some new struts to experiment with the blade position.

·
Registered
187 Posts
How tall are you guys? I have a fabri gen x screen that came with the bike when i bought it. It gives me no wind protection at highway speeds. Although i have gotten a bit used to the wind blast to my chest and helmet, after long rides i'm exhausted. Im 6' tall 200lbs. Was looking for a wind screen that would give me much more comfort as i'm planning to start doing road trips on my bike. Would like to know if the MRA Touring or Vario screens will do the trick since they look to be about the same height or should i look into the taller dorky looking 22-24" screens? I like the relaxing straight up riding position back bent a little, don't think i could tuck in for long periods. I read somewhere bigger screens make your bike wobble at higher speeds. THX.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have the MRA Double Bubble and while the effect it has is noticeable, it's not enough to make highway speeds all that much more bearable. The MRA Touring is pretty much the king of the hill for function over form, but it's also a huge eyesore compared to many other options from Puig or Rizoma that are ALMOST as good.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have the MRA Vario Touring Screen with the adjustable spoiler, and find it works great. I have had it running up to 100 mph on a windy day with no issues. I do find that on the highway you get less turbulence with the spoiler in a lower position. The spoiler all the way up works best at lower speeds when running around town. I am 5'-11"and 200 lbs, and the screen height seems to be perfect.

The best prices I have found is through Twisted Throttle.

FZ-09 '14 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

·
Registered
187 Posts
In this case i don't care about looks too much as i can swap it out with the current screen, not to mention the bikes gonna be fully loaded saddle bags, etc. Function is my priority. Highway speeds are my main concerns as i'm comfortable riding with no screen under 50-55mph. Looks like the VarioTouring screen is the same as the Touring version but with the spoiler on it unless the angles are different. Would you say its worth getting the VarioTouring over the Touring for only 40 bucks, as far as wind deflection. Can u remove the spoiler and convert it into a Touring version? THX

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have....had MRA Vario Touring screen. With blade retracted, air flow hits top of shoulders/neck area. Extended, it hits middle of helmet face shield. Airflow smooth in any position, but dramatically louder with blade fully extended. I'm 5'11"ish and skinny. It's a good 3 season screen imho, but planning on a larger screen for colder ends of riding year. Have smaller puig screen on order to replace the vario because......I hit a buzzard Friday. Braking hard from 60ish mph and hit him broadside with lower center part of screen. It broke into four large pieces and bent three of the screen wellnut holders in the metal mount. Probably would have caught it in the face/ neck/ shoulder area without screen. I'm happy.

Observations: Buzzards have a sluggish initial rate of climb. Also, they stink. Rotting corpse in the hot sun stink. Their innards stick tenaciously to ALL surfaces. Pressure washer required.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Have....had MRA Vario Touring screen. With blade retracted, air flow hits top of shoulders/neck area. Extended, it hits middle of helmet face shield. Airflow smooth in any position, but dramatically louder with blade fully extended. I'm 5'11"ish and skinny. It's a good 3 season screen imho, but planning on a larger screen for colder ends of riding year. Have smaller puig screen on order to replace the vario because......I hit a buzzard Friday. Braking hard from 60ish mph and hit him broadside with lower center part of screen. It broke into four large pieces and bent three of the screen wellnut holders in the metal mount. Probably would have caught it in the face/ neck/ shoulder area without screen. I'm happy.

Observations: Buzzards have a sluggish initial rate of climb. Also, they stink. Rotting corpse in the hot sun stink. Their innards stick tenaciously to ALL surfaces. Pressure washer required.
+1 minus the Buzzard impact testing (sorry to hear that) ouch!

I find the adjustable spoiler makes it a bit more versatile for different riding conditions. Plus I don't like looking through the screen, but do see the benefit if you are an extending touring ride. Just not sure how a larger screen would effect steering in a strong wind, and if the mounting area is enough for a larger screen???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts