Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I've had the bike for about a month now. I tried searching if there's been another mpg thread, but the search function won't search for mpg. So, sorry if it's a duplicate!

First tank I averaged 42 mpg. That was with more city riding and having a little fun in A mode.

Second tank, so far, I'm getting 50 mpg while commuting to/from work, almost exclusively in B mode. It's about 75% highway, 25% city.

What's everyone else getting? Has anyone noted discrepancies between the reported MPG on the instrument gauge and what you get by filling the tank and calculating it manually? On my first tank, which reported 42 mpg on the gauge, may have been off... When I filled the tank, I filled in exactly 3.7 gallons, off of I think i was 140 miles, which came out to more like 37-38 mpg... But the dealer may not have actually filled the tank up full, so that could be off.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I know that some of you guys are using the bike for commuting and such where mileage is somewhat important, but I bought mine to ride twisties and be a bit of a hooligan on, so I really am not concerned with MPG on this bike as long as it continues to put a huge grin on my face every time I ride it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know that some of you guys are using the bike for commuting and such where mileage is somewhat important, but I bought mine to ride twisties and be a bit of a hooligan on, so I really am not concerned with MPG on this bike as long as it continues to put a huge grin on my face every time I ride it.
In some situations it's not MPG per se, but range. I do wish the bike had at least a 1 gallon bigger tank.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My avg MPG gauge showed 38mpg, up and down a mountain very enthusiastic riding, put 3.5 gal at fill up. I thought I be walking the last few miles as tank showed flashing 1 bar.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Is there any harm in filling topping off the tank? I always do that.

Mine has been in line with you guys. mid 30's = aggresive, upper 40's = highway. Tons of wind resistance, lol

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I got mine to 50.X MPG today for a short time. Running 63-64 miles per hour and in 5th gear. I'll make sure THAT never happens again! :cool:

Reactions: cjhorton

·
Registered
120 Posts
I haven't reset my average its sitting at 5.1l per 100 km or 55 mpg. exclusively hiway. Can't help it, don't live near a town, or near any big hills. If I'm goofing around a little it'll go as low as 45 average on the tank. Commuting to work in B mode driving the speed limit with a tail wind I broke 60 mpg on a half tank.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
So my mileage seems solid in the 40 range. It does good until i reach about 80-90 miles then the indicator goes from full to nearly full to one bar in 5-10 miles and then i still have a gallon left when i fill it up i rarely have to put in more than 2.8 gallons. Is anybody else having this issue? Thanks!

-z

·
Registered
380 Posts
First tank, went 108 miles before reserve, got 35.6 mpg's.
Second tank, went 117 and had not hit reserve yet, took 2.8 gals to filler up, got 41.8 mpg's, so I missed going on reserve by 0.2 gals.
I ride fairly aggressive when I can. This bike should get about 120 miles before reserve, about what the factory says, 44mpg's. Anyway that is what I am hoping for.
If you ride less aggressive you may get 50 mpg's. IMHO.
a 4.5 gallon tank would have been nice on this bike....
but I can live with it (3.7 gal tank).

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I got real 47 mpg cruising at 70 mph over the weekend in mode B.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nice! ;)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
That is awesome to hear... 10 MPG more than my current bike. :happy11:
I didn't "hypermileage" rode. Just what I would do if I was going to ride on a long weekend trip on the highway. 140 miles before I hit the reserve then another 15 miles until the next gas station... 155 miles total for 3.2 US gals. More range that I was expecting out of this bike! But if you start riding like a lunatic... that will change very quick! LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
So, reading through this thread got me thinking about starting a new thread............

"What's your WPM Rate"? Anyone care to take a guess on what the WPM stands for?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I find it difficult to work on my chicken strips with the front wheel in the air... ;) The computer says an average of 5.0 L per 100 K... which would seem reasonable, most of the roads I drive are in rough shape, plus lots of driveways on the good ones... so I'm not twisting the throttle as much as I'd like! :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts