Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone can help me out, we are moving to Cali in 3 months, is my bike going to be all right? There is a rule about 7500 miles....?? I got her last year in Florida, I don't know if it has 50 state emissions. Do I need to sell her before I move?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I don't believe your bike is California compliant because you don't have the EVAP cannister under the tank so your bike won't have a sticker saying it has met California emissions requirements. This is waived if your bike has 7500+ miles. Ride it out here and you may have the 7500 by arrival.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I have an evap can if you want to buy it..

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's been over 20 years since I escaped from/moved out of California, so I'm not sure how the laws on importing vehicles are currently set up. I think the 7500 mile thing is for residents of California. Since you will be importing a vehicle at the same time you are establishing California residence, the rule may not apply.

Best advice I can give you is to call a California DMV office and see what they have to say about your specific circumstances.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Maybe someone can help me out, we are moving to Cali in 3 months, is my bike going to be all right? There is a rule about 7500 miles....?? I got her last year in Florida, I don't know if it has 50 state emissions. Do I need to sell her before I move?
I have 2 bikes with out of state reg. FZ09 is Oregon and Connie 14 is Idaho.

Just bring it out here and ride it with the florida plate until it expires then make the switch.

I would not call the DMV. You will most likely get a different story from every person you talk to.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The CA DMV has online site that might give you the answer you are looking for.

I bought a 1986 Yamaha SRX 600 with current Oregon registration over a month ago. I paid my CA DMV fees within 3 days but then I had to make appointment to get DMV to come out to the parking lot and verify my Vin number. 3 weeks later at the DMV, a gal looks at the number on the frame, writes it down then asks me to remove the seat, ok. She looks around and says, I can't find the hidden VIN number so you need to take it to the Highway Patrol because they have a special knowledgeable person who knows where the hidden numbers are on vehicles. So I go to the Highway Patrol office and appointment is more than a month later. Lucky for me the Oregon plate was current to August. End of April is my appointment. Then I have to go back to DMV again.

I never would have thought the DMV would not be able to do their job by specific appointment to check my vin and then defer it to the Highway Patrol.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I believe you are fine as long as you show DMV proof that it was registered in Florida prior to moving to Calif. I believe the CHP will have to inspect it...

but look at the CA DMV website

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
1) since you were NOT a California resident when you bought the bike and have documents to prove it, then the 7500 mile rule doesn't apply.

2) ride more and put 7500 miles on it, then register it in California.

I suggest riding it more and worrying less. You have 3 months to put 7500 miles on the clock. How hard is that?

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's been over 20 years since I escaped from/moved out of California...
this....

Not trying to offend anyone here who likes that state, but I HATED living in California. I was stationed in Petaluma and literally had a count down app for the years/days/months/hours till I was out of there.

As people mentioned before , just rack up some mileage. Or try and pull a Farris Bueller ;p lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
What town are you moving to?

California politics and laws are like the former Soviet Union but the roads here....You have died and gone to heaven.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Provided that you have the bike registered in your name and you move here you can register it here, there is no mileage requirement in your case and it does not have to be ca emissions certified. You should make an appointment at the dmv in advance, it can take up to a month to get an appointment. You can make an appointment online on the ca dmv site. Make sure you bring the bike with you to the dmv, they need to look at it. Go to the counter to get someone to go out to look at the bike before going to the registration counter, otherwise they will make you wait in line again. Good luck with your move!

Here is the exception straight from the ca dmv website:

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

Note: new in California means less than 7500 miles on the bike, you can also bring in a bike with more miles too. This is just the exception to the 7500 mile rule.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
OP, do you have any guns you can't take with you that you want to sell before moving?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
OP, do you have any guns you can't take with you that you want to sell before moving?
Perhaps the OP should list All of his weapons here:

Ride Safe:cool:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I forgot to mention that if you have AAA club membership you can go to a CA AAA office and transfer the title, registration, and have them visually inspect the bike there INSTEAD of going to the DMV :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I love visiting CA but will never live there (if I can help it). Best of luck with your move and dealing with the [sarcasm]wonderful[/sarcasm] California DMV.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I love visiting CA but will never live there (if I can help it). Best of luck with your move and dealing with the [sarcasm]wonderful[/sarcasm] California DMV.
but but the DMV is such an efficient, well oiled machine...

as long as the purpose of that machine is to waste time and perform as little actual work product as possible in the most inhospitable manner possible.

·
Registered
276 Posts
We moved here 3 years ago and we love CA - at least Southern California. The weather is beautiful and dry, property taxes are 1% (I was paying over 4% in NY, 2.5% in NJ), this is one of the most awesome places for dogs (dog parks, dog beaches with 1000's of dogs there in the summer, etc), most of the people seem happy here (unlike NY), and lane splitting and filtering is not illegal here. Unfortunately we could use some more water and it is quite overcrowded, however it still blows away NJ and NY. I don't even want to visit NJ and NY, nevermind move back there :) We hope you enjoy your new home!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts