Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time posting here.

I've been riding for over 20 years. Dirtbikes as a kid, and then a Suzuki Savage 650 when I lived in the suburbs. I've been living in NYC and riding a Stella scooter for almost four years. It's manual shift (clutch + handle twists, classic vespa), 125cc, 10hp.

Needless to say it's a slow ride. It handles like crap, vibrates everywhere and because of the low torque and speed I have to have a bug-eyed focus whenever I am riding in town. Riding at 52mph on the West Side Drive on a tiny ass scoot is exhilarating but insane. I'm ready to move to something with more power, and also something I can take on 50-100mi rides upstate.

My question is, has anyone gone from a relatively slow ride to the FZ-09, and if so how big of a change was it? Also would love to hear from fellow city riders on how it handles in traffic/low speed.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Well, I haven't ridden anything in like 5yrs...and like you, I live in the urban jungle. You'll like the FZ, great for the city, agile and quick.

It's not too much for an experienced operator...to be honest, I only use B mode in town. It's just awesome though...turns on a dime, soaks up pot holes, blast by the cars stopped in the road leaving traffic in your dust...loft the front wheel at will....it's just great

·
Registered
663 Posts
The difference. Night and Day. My progression went 125cc, 360cc, 750cc, and to be determined....

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
This type of scenario has been discussed here on several occasions and it would probably behoove you to do a search back through some of those threads and read some of the comments in them. In a nutshell, some will tell you go ahead and do it, some will say absolutely no way to make a jump like that. Personally, I am in the latter group that would suggest that there is no way you should make a jump like you are talking about.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes there will be an absolutely massive difference, but you can't be surprised by this. The question of whether you can handle the bike or not can only really be answered by you, so you're going to need to go with your better judgement here. Take one out for a test ride, see how it feels.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
This type of scenario has been discussed here on several occasions and it would probably behoove you to do a search back through some of those threads and read some of the comments in them. In a nutshell, some will tell you go ahead and do it, some will say absolutely no way to make a jump like that. Personally, I am in the latter group that would suggest that there is no way you should make a jump like you are talking about.
Except this guy has been riding for 20 yrs, and previously had a 650...whatever a savage is. If he only had scooter experience I would agree...anyway...talk to knobby addiction...he only has mx experience, and just got a FZ...not sure if he's been able to ride it yet this winter

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
He's not going to listen to any of us. They never do. In a month he'll be on here posting that he has no trouble at all mastering his new FZ-09 and we were all wrong. He's just desperate for ONE person to validate his decision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't say desperate. This site is a source of distilled knowledge for a specific ride I'm looking at. I like to do my research so I'm definitely going to ask for opinions. I'm open for just about anything, this bike just seems the most desirable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You aren't a beginner, but it sounds like the 09 would be a big HP jump for you, a 70ish HP twin for one or 2 years might make more sense and would be a lot cheaper for insurance etc.

Which dirt bikes, did you race, etc? If you were racing open class MX, then yeah, get an 09 lol.
Any recommendation on a 70ish hp twin?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Ninja 650 or any Kawi 650 use some sort of the same engine platform. FZ6R is a nice ride too but a I-4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Step up to a Honda Grom with a pipe on it!

Sorry could not resist, but seriously there is no comparison between any scooter and a full sized motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sorry could not resist, but seriously there is no comparison between any scooter and a full sized motorcycle.
An objective look at the scooter market, particularly at the high end machines, would seriously challenge this statement.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts