Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this pair of Cortech bags on my CTX and figured when I got my red FZ-09 they would look good on it. I did not get the red one as I did not want to wait any longer. So If I like them on it I will get a black pair and put these back on my CTX. I am planning an all day ride tomorrow and it is cold in the morning and warm in the afternoon so bags will be used. I like saddle bags as it is easier to get on and off than using a tail bag and I have more room inside. I got these off ebay , they were never used, and cost me less than 70.00

How they are mounted. The seat hooks prevent the wide Velcro strap from going under the seat ( I could have cut them but not now). The back narrow Velcro strap goes under the seat and it seat locks fine so this should secure the bags. The unique thing about my setup is I have an aluminum angle bracket running from the passenger peg to the rear reflector bracket on each side. This bracket is out of the way of the suspension. This bracket prevents the bags from swinging into the tire which would destroy them. The bags and brackets, once figures out, can be put on or taken off in less than 5 minutes. The bags are not attached to the bars. The front tie down loop straps go to the foot peg support and the rear loop straps are tied together and go across the back.

bagbracket s.jpg withbags s.jpg

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well got the black pair in today so pulled off the red ones. They were is pretty good shape for Ebay used. Put 110 miles on today. 45 degrees at 8am and 73 at 4pm. Need bags to hold warm riding gear I shed during the day. I figure less than 5 minutes to remove and no extra holes, no brackets remaining, totally back to stock. About the same time to put on.

black bags s.jpg

Reactions: Josh and v2Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
The next time you have the bags off, you should show us your handy work. I'd like to see what those brackets look like. Side note, I too have those Cortech bags and really like them.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hi,
Your mod with the bar going to the rear fender intrigues me. Could you show us that without the bags mounted? It would be a great mod to do. I have the Firstgear Onyx and they tend to hit the tire, esp when they are fully expanded and I am two up! What all will I need and where can I get them from to replicate your mod?

IMG_20131128_155855.jpg

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
virginiacreeper and motorock I will try to show you the details you asked for.

went to Home Depot and bought a 3/4 by 3/4 by 4 ft angle piece of aluminum (about 8 dollars)
cut two 23 inch long pieces
drilled two holes in the front (one on each side) large enough to pass a tie wrap through to hold it in place
drilled 1 hole at the other end on one side (the side facing out) and will use reflector bolt to hold it in place
painted it flat black
taped the top of the hook loop so the bar rests on it and wont scratch the metal.
threaded a tie wrap through a drilled hole and through the hook loop. Bolted the other end using the reflectors.
pulled the tie wraps tight and put an extra one around foot peg and bar. trimmed them all. Very snug and almost unbendable.
The bags rest on the bar only and can not get into the wheel.

when I do a tail tidy thing I still plan on using the reflector bracket.

ps: My original idea was to have a thin wall tube squared on one end to slip over the upright foot peg and bent back to provide and easy on and off arm to hold the bags out from the wheel so the reflector bracket would not be needed but did not have the tools to make such an item right. Some welder could easily make the peg/saddlebag standoffs for soft bags in my mind. A heavy wire rod standoff frame could also be done with a welder but I don't have one.

bar s.jpg barend s.jpg

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thanks Bill for showing us the install- good job. I do need the passenger footpegs though for use when carrying the saddlebags.
I am thinking if looping around belts pulling the bags away from the tires will helps. After that I may give thought to the saddlebag mounts from Yamaha available for deliver here:
They cost about $136 after delivery- and after adding cost of my saddlebags, its still much less than all existing Blaze systems from Twisted Throttle - which the official 21L bags seem to be in the first place!
I will have to fashion pockets on the saddlebags to hold these stays though...maybe find a seamstress or do it myself!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bill for showing us the install- good job. I do need the passenger footpegs though for use when carrying the saddlebags.
Rear pegs usable now.

After remounting the license plate up under the tail light (free tail tidy method) I wanted to leave off the reflector metal mount which removed my saddlebag rear mount. So I cut standoff bars (the aluminum angle brackets) shorter, drilled 1 hold in the plastic ear on each side of the rear reflector and use that to mount the round reflectors and end of standoff bar. I also redid the front tie wraps (still using 2 on each side but you could use a small bolt instead of tie wraps). Now the rear foot pegs are usable. I still have not figured how to get the wide strap under the seat like the rear strap. Here are some pics of my new ride setup. (note the cut down/painted short windshield, black exhaust with polished snout, and Yamaha in silver on the clutch cover)

bags now 2 s.jpg bags now 3 s.jpg bags now s.jpg

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Rear pegs usable now.

After remounting the license plate up under the tail light (free tail tidy method) I wanted to leave off the reflector metal mount which removed my saddlebag rear mount. So I cut standoff bars (the aluminum angle brackets) shorter, drilled 1 hold in the plastic ear on each side of the rear reflector and use that to mount the round reflectors and end of standoff bar. I also redid the front tie wraps (still using 2 on each side but you could use a small bolt instead of tie wraps). Now the rear foot pegs are usable. I still have not figured how to get the wide strap under the seat like the rear strap. Here are some pics of my new ride setup. (note the cut down/painted short windshield, black exhaust with polished snout, and Yamaha in silver on the clutch cover)

View attachment 1193 View attachment 1194 View attachment 1195
Thanks for posting this. You are definitely very crafty! Gives me inspiration to try some designs of my own- am in talks with a artist/fabricator to try and make something before i dive in for the saddlebag stays!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am thinking if looping around belts pulling the bags away from the tires will helps. After that I may give thought to the saddlebag mounts from Yamaha available for deliver here:
They cost about $136 after delivery- and after adding cost of my saddlebags, its still much less than all existing Blaze systems from Twisted Throttle - which the official 21L bags seem to be in the first place!
I will have to fashion pockets on the saddlebags to hold these stays though...maybe find a seamstress or do it myself!
Motorock - I am very interested to know if you bought the saddlebag stays and if they worked with the Cortech Saddlebags? I do not want to buy the Yamaha saddlebags and I do not want a permanent bracket on my bike like Bill's. I like to ride without my saddlebags and without the brackets sometimes too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Motorock - I am very interested to know if you bought the saddlebag stays and if they worked with the Cortech Saddlebags? I do not want to buy the Yamaha saddlebags and I do not want a permanent bracket on my bike like Bill's. I like to ride without my saddlebags and without the brackets sometimes too.
Hey Jones. my brackets are in no way permanent. Less then 5 minutes to remove it all. Remove seat and bags, Cut the 4 front tie wraps and at rear, remove reflectors and brackets are totally removed. Screw reflectors back on. Petty simple. When I want them back on I use 4 new tie wraps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Jones. my brackets are in no way permanent. Less then 5 minutes to remove it all. Remove seat and bags, Cut the 4 front tie wraps and at rear, remove reflectors and brackets are totally removed. Screw reflectors back on. Petty simple. When I want them back on I use 4 new tie wraps.
Oh OK thanks. I got your PM as well thank you for the response. Everyone on this forum is so nice and mature it is great. I was thinking of making saddlebag stays of a strong metal tube that attaches to the rear passenger peg much like the one Yamaha has for sale (just not $80 haha). Then doing what Motorock was talking about by having the saddlebags altered by a seamstress to have the stays run along the inside of the bag.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hi jones09...I did not get them yet as Yamaha at the NY moto show said that the kit should be available this month at dealers. It costs about 119! (A shade less than ordering from the UK) I am thinking of fashioning my own saddlebag stays using some common clamps so it is easy to detach them when saddlebags are not being used. I think making pockets on the bags to hold these stays wont be hard- I had a look at the Blaze system of bags at the Twisted Throttle stall and they use grommets to put the pockets together though I may just stitch through the leather but all the way into the inside of the bag.
Also, I have the Firstgear Onyx bags...just a bit more carrying capacity- you can actually fit a large helmet in each bag and still have some space for some small things.
Will keep you guys posted. Need a trip to Home Depot probably...just need time..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got back from a 179 mile ride in the valley over to the mountains west of Willows to ride some fast twisty mountain roads. 60-90mph all sunny turns and no traffic . Gorgeous day. A real test bag mounting system with my $8.00 (for the pair) brackets that are barely visible. Everything stayed put and worked Great. If you want to have some type of attachment to the bracket, you could sew something like the Velcro handle or strip to each bag and Velcro around the brackets to keep them flopping when you hit bumps or when they are empty. I wont bother. I have the foam there between the bracket and bag. Good luck with what ever you design. Just post some pictures when you get it worked out. I like thinkers on a problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Bill does your bracket system just stop the saddlebags from hitting the wheel or does it hold them in place too ie. When you lean left, does the left side sway toward the ground?

Motorock - I like the idea of just adding some strong gromet to guide the saddlebag stays through on the back of the saddlebag. That way you do not have to sacrifice the interior integrity by running along the inside of saddlebag.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Man I have so many great ideas for when I return from holiday.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used the free tail tidy method started a long time ago. opened up the two holes and got longer bolts. do a search. should be able to find it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Bill does your bracket system just stop the saddlebags from hitting the wheel or does it hold them in place too ie. When you lean left, does the left side sway toward the ground?

Motorock - I like the idea of just adding some strong gromet to guide the saddlebag stays through on the back of the saddlebag. That way you do not have to sacrifice the interior integrity by running along the inside of saddlebag.
My system prevents contact with wheel. The tie downs in the front and rear hold them in place pretty good but I have not carried much weight in them yet. they might swing out some as I don't have them attached to the bar I made. If I find they need tied down more, I will probably attach a Velcro strap front and rear on the backside that I can wrap around the bar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts