Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a used F15 windshield hanging around (they still sell them new on Ebay). I used it on a Hawk GT and a CTX Honda. My mounting allows for easy on and off in only a few minutes that leaves no trace of the brackets just like the soft bags I recently mounted. I want to be able to get back to a naked stock bike very easy and quick when I feel like it.

I roughed out the mounting and brackets late this afternoon so they are still in the prototype stage. I was able to take it out and see where the wind goes at 70mph.

For the 2 lower mounting brackets I used the top side bolt on the headlight group that screws into a flange from the top triple bracket. Seem plenty strong for this application. The upper pair of brackets go to the bars. The right one is bent to go between the gage and master cylinder. Once I get the position dialed in, the plumbers tape will be replaced with stainless ones with rubber sleeve to prevent scratching the bars.

My first test seems I am right in the middle. 2 inches lower and helmet gets all the air with no buffeting and chest sees no wind. Sort of like a large fly screen I guess. If 2 inches higher, I can still see over the top and I think all the wind will go over my helmet.

Because of the rake of the front headlight top platform, I am a few inches in front of the gage so when I raise the windshield I will also move it closer to the gage.

I hope to get it dialed in by the weekend and will update this thread. I am sure some windshield designers are working on them but if mine works, I may replace it once favorable reviews are in on the new designs.

F15 front s.jpg f15 left mount s.jpg f15 right mount s.jpg f15 side s.jpg

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Registered
46 Posts
That shield will keep the cold and the bugs at bay. I am still looking for a windscreen for protection but also to cover the mass of wiring above the headlight. The "Ermax" 33cc looks to be about the right height but I'm in no hurry, the after market guys are just getting cranked up.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
follow up on this tread. After testing my setup at 70mph I raised it 2 more inches and it helped and I did not feel any buffeting of my head but lots more noise from the wind. I decided to try it low like so it would be like my 04 VFR800's stock shield. so instead of 17 inches to top of windshield from bars, it is now about 13 and ends closer to me. It clears the mirror posts by about 3/8 of an inch. Even though I have all the air off my chest and lots of air on my helmet, it feels smoother. Also the lower laid back look mounted like this appears nicer on the bike. The cutout on the F15 for the normal round head light allowed bugs thought so I plugged it with a half round plastic lid painted flat black ant stuck on with black RTV. It does keep the bugs out. Again. I know it is hookey, this is just for fun and it works actually well now but it will be replaced if some company puts out a better one. New models take time for add on stuff to show up.
attached photos are high mount version and the low mount version

f15 high mount s.jpg f15 low s.jpg

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how's the airflow feel? looks like you'd get a faceful, but torso would be nicely out of the slipstream
I think the airflow to my helmet isn't any worse than no shield at all. Torso is wind free and riding on freeway a little more relaxing. At least I am keeping the bugs out of the back side of the gage and wires. I think the fly screen on the MT-09 accessory site will do that but seems high priced for a bug catcher (imho).

I do have an old Harley round top windshield in storage somewhere off my 1200c. Maybe I should try mounting it while I am waiting for a real windshield vendor to step up.
I could add a light bar and a couple of 4 inch chrome lights on each side.... OK guys, just kidding... I will leave the light bar off.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I bumped the windshield moving my other bike into the parking slot and cracked it at one of the mounts. So I cut it down to a shape more like the
front and used all the mounts on the front and none on the handlebars. I think it will be low enough to keep wind off my chest and not buffet my helmet. It covers up the gage and wires to keep the bugs out too.

small enough now I should not be bumping it.

I may paint the bottom too as it looked pretty good on another home grown windshield. We can't all wait for the makers to get here with their versions. Doesn't mean we wont buy one I think.

cutf15s.jpg

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the final setup for the F15 after breaking it and cutting it down. I removed it, and cut the lower nose corners to match the bike front end, painted the back side Toyota grey metallic then flat black over that. I painted the brackets while apart. I no longer needed to mount the upper brackets to the handlebars.
I think it looks good and is functional.

f15 final front s.jpg f15 final rear s.jpg f15 final side s.jpg

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Very impressive nice work!

·
Banned
161 Posts
Yeah if this were easily applicable and then quickly removable...It would be awesome. Looks like good work.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent work, Bill! You might consider selling this if you have the spare time.
any spare time is used to ride or tinker. Selling is not my thing but thanks for the comment. anyone can get a good used shield off ebay cheap. This cost me 60.00 2 years ago with just a tiny scratch. I have an angle saw that vibrates as it cuts (not sure what they call it) using a half round blade that works well on plastic. I used a U shaped bracket made from about 1-1/2 inch plumbers tape on the front with one leg bolted to the front allen head bolt and the other leg of the U bolted to the windshield. The side bolts that go into the triple bracket are good solid mounting points so about a 3 inch flat stock was cut and bent in my vise with a cresent wrench. to match bolting point and windshield angle. A flat piece of windshield material would probably work and look about the same.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah if this were easily applicable and then quickly removable...It would be awesome. Looks like good work.
Probably would take me 5 minutes to remove but think it will stay on now. Maybe only 10 minutes to put back on due to front bolts being a tight squeeze so harder to get nuts on. (it's always easier to get the nuts off....did I just type that....lol).

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here is the picture of my final cutdown F15 windshield made into a medium fly screen mounted with homemade brakets

f15 final front s.jpg

and here is the Madstad fly screen brackets
mflybracket.jpg

and here is the my medium fly screen mounted with the Madstad brackets. The old holes are shown plugged with screw but I have them
now plugged with black RTV silicone. Now I have tall and short screens and only a minute or two to change between them.

mflydone.jpg

and now the tall screen on the same base bracket but with it's tilting and adjustable height bracket. It looks tall but bike is parked
on a slope. I actually look over it and I am 5'7".

mtall1 s.jpg

Reactions: stuarth

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The medium looks good. The Madstad seems more & more tempting to install.

Btw, do you have LEDs in our air scoops?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes I do. they were in an older post. they are bright at night but not as noticeable in daytime as I wanted. I will find something brighter someday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts