Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday in Black Hawk a 60 year old motorcyclist was involved in a hit and run. When the guy went down his concealed gun went off shooting him in the chest. The cager who ran was caught a few hours later. I only bring this up because quite a few of you guys talk about carrying while your riding. Seems unsafe to me. I won't even keep keys in my pocket. The only weapon I need has two wheels and three cylinders. Not trying to be a safety Nazi I'm just saying...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I carry at work. I ride my motorcycle to work. But I don't keep a round in the chamber when I'm riding to work. Although I do keep a revolver in my tank bag. The revolver has a hammer spring safety and will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. There is a right way and a wrong way to do everything.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yesterday in Black Hawk a 60 year old motorcyclist was involved in a hit and run. When the guy went down his concealed gun went off shooting him in the chest. The cager who ran was caught a few hours later. I only bring this up because quite a few of you guys talk about carrying while your riding. Seems unsafe to me. I won't even keep keys in my pocket. The only weapon I need has two wheels and three cylinders. Not trying to be a safety Nazi I'm just saying...
Link?

No modern firearm will discharge unless the trigger is pulled. I will give you that a trigger can be pulled by an errant piece of clothing or debris that gets forced into the trigger guard. Amazing forces are at work in a crash. Would love to know the firearm, method/location of carry, exact holster used, etc., but I'm sure I'll never know.

I sometimes carry a Glock 42 in a pocket holster (semi rigid) and reassure myself the trigger could not be pulled and if it was, it would be safely away from my femoral artery….:cool: This is another reason I like bags on my bike. I can have the pistol "with" me, such as in a Wilderness Tactical pack, though not on me. While I support ATGATT (all the guns all the time….:cool:, I do not kid myself that I could deploy my Glock 42, Glock 19 or Glock 23 while riding, and I'm a nationally ranked Master level defensive pistol competitor who regularly rehearses shooting with both hands, from all kinds of positions, using all kinds of pistols. A quick get away with time to get the pistol out of the side case (which I practice regularly) is my best hope. Like many others, I need the pistol at my destination, and being without it is just not a comforting thought.

Also agree with Obijack.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I carry an XDM. Grip safety and trigger safety. I'd feel pretty safe riding and carrying it but I carry the service length and it just isn't comfortable so i don't carry while riding.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Motorcyclist shot by his own gun during bizarre hit-and-run collision in Black Hawk - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

Sorry I didn't post it earlier I was at home on my tablet. I realize some of you need the firearm at work and Obijack I have heard about the road rage in Florida. I'm not for gun laws either I have several of my own. I guess I see idiots like my boss who take it out and wave it around during everyday conversation that make me nervous. Sounds like you guys take it much more seriously. My original thought was that it's like running with scissors, you know?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sounds like a freak accident. I would hope just about everyone that carries while riding has a safe firearm. You don't have to be smart to figure out what could happen. We aren't allowed to get carry permits in Canada so mine stay in the safe. Boooo

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
To me, it's kind of like the scenario where there are some folks that have a driver's license....but still don't know how to drive. Unfortunately, there are people with carry permits that shouldn't own a gun.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Motorcyclist shot by his own gun during bizarre hit-and-run collision in Black Hawk - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

Sorry I didn't post it earlier I was at home on my tablet. I realize some of you need the firearm at work and Obijack I have heard about the road rage in Florida. I'm not for gun laws either I have several of my own. I guess I see idiots like my boss who take it out and wave it around during everyday conversation that make me nervous. Sounds like you guys take it much more seriously. My original thought was that it's like running with scissors, you know?
Holy crap. Get a new boss.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Either it was an old defective firearm or it was not properly carried firearm.

Definitely would like to know what firearm it was and what holster he was using (if any).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Off Topic ---> True Story

I worked with a man who lost his leg in a motorcycle accident on his way home from work. The day he returned to work his pistol fell out of his pocket and shot him in his "good" leg. A few months later we were talking one day and I said I couldn't believe anyone could have such bad luck and he laughed and said he couldn't either. This was about 34 years ago. :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I worked with a man who lost his leg in a motorcycle accident on his way home from work. The day he returned to work his pistol fell out of his pocket and shot him in his "good" leg. A few months later we were talking one day and I said I couldn't believe anyone could have such bad luck and he laughed and said he couldn't either. This was about 34 years ago. :color: :cool: :color:
What was he carrying if you remember? 1911 chambered with hammer down?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I frequently carry when I'm riding, but that is also one of the few times when there is NOT a round in the chamber. Even with the safety of modern striker-fired pistols like the Glocks I prefer, I would still rather not have a round in the chamber in the event of a crash.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Goes to show you that there are idiots in all walks of life. I carry, but pigs will fly before my gun discharges because of the precautions I take. Now, my gun will likely break bones in an accident, which is a chance I am willing to take.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Nothing is idiot proof as they keep making better idiots. I am not in favor of more gun laws at all.

·
Registered
462 Posts
A gun going off in a motorcycle crash seems like a freak accident, but the forces present in a motorcycle crash far exceed what you would normally encounter in day to day life.

With that said, improper carrying practices or equipment could make this type of accident an easy occurrence.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Link?

No modern firearm will discharge unless the trigger is pulled. I will give you that a trigger can be pulled by an errant piece of clothing or debris that gets forced into the trigger guard. Amazing forces are at work in a crash. Would love to know the firearm, method/location of carry, exact holster used, etc., but I'm sure I'll never know.

I sometimes carry a Glock 42 in a pocket holster (semi rigid) and reassure myself the trigger could not be pulled and if it was, it would be safely away from my femoral artery….:cool: This is another reason I like bags on my bike. I can have the pistol "with" me, such as in a Wilderness Tactical pack, though not on me. While I support ATGATT (all the guns all the time….:cool:, I do not kid myself that I could deploy my Glock 42, Glock 19 or Glock 23 while riding, and I'm a nationally ranked Master level defensive pistol competitor who regularly rehearses shooting with both hands, from all kinds of positions, using all kinds of pistols. A quick get away with time to get the pistol out of the side case (which I practice regularly) is my best hope. Like many others, I need the pistol at my destination, and being without it is just not a comforting thought.

Also agree with Obijack.
The key word in your statement is "modern"

·
Registered
204 Posts
The key word in your statement is "modern"
I'll give you "modern", "Properly functioning", and "designed worth a $#!t". I carry Glocks almost exclusively. Nothing is infallible, and I understand some folks' hesitation to carry chambered. Fact is in most defensive situations one rarely has the time to chamber the round, or at least it dramatically increases the chance the weapon can't be used in time or retained. Even with extensive practice of the Israeli draw it's a handicap to not be chambered when the bad guy gets the first move.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
22 Participants
RichBaker
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing