Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I think the bang for the buck is understated in this test. I know the yammi gets the highest but for $2k - you can fix suspension and maybe fueling if you're crafty which would blow away the triumph and for $5k you could do a crap ton of mods to make it better than the MV if you wanted (you could probably argue it's better than the MV with even $2k worth of mods).

With that being said, if i were president, my first law would be to mandate all sport bikes must have a single sided swing arm. It's just too damn sexy not to have.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know they have to test them as is, but dammit I hate that criteria, it only works if all bikes cost the same. At the very least they should rank them on a curve, how exactly is a $7900 bike supposed to compete with a $12,500 bike when subjected to the same testing? I know the Triumph is a lot close in price but I guarantee if they could rework the suspension on the FZ and have Flash Tune crack the ECU, grand total of $1800 then this $9700 bike would crush the other two.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Moved it over here for ya mknj671.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Outside of the obvious suspension and brake knocks I do agree with the lowest score for instrumentation. Having owned both 03 and 05 Kawi 636's with LCD bar graphs I swore it was the worst idea any company ever came up with and now many bikes are going back to them (Think Ducati 1199/899). Personally would have liked to see a real tach highlighted by digital readouts for everything else, sure it would have been a bit bigger but the tradeoff would be worth it IMO.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Outside of the obvious suspension and brake knocks I do agree with the lowest score for instrumentation. Having owned both 03 and 05 Kawi 636's with LCD bar graphs I swore it was the worst idea any company ever came up with and now many bikes are going back to them (Think Ducati 1199/899). Personally would have liked to see a real tach highlighted by digital readouts for everything else, sure it would have been a bit bigger but the tradeoff would be worth it IMO.
Analog tachs rule!
3" dial 0-12k with six at 12 o'clock!
Gotta get one.
I was amused when one of the testers likened the 9 as feeling like a beginners bike.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Analog tachs rule!
3" dial 0-12k with six at 12 o'clock!
Gotta get one.
I was amused when one of the testers likened the 9 as feeling like a beginners bike.
I think that was Melissa, she has a good pedigree and a husband who knows a thing or three about 2-wheels so I'll give her a pass on that comment.

Not to mention she has her own underwear line - how cool is that!

:p

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ran in the same group as Meli P a good number years back at a NJ Motorsports Park track day, she was blazing fast and pretty darn cute hanging in the pits. They actually spelled her name wrong in the article, it is Paris not Perris.

I will probably throw some money at a Penske and work on the front end right away, I am sure the brakes will not hold a candle to the RSV4R Brembo setup but braided lines and better pads should help.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think that was Melissa, she has a good pedigree and a husband who knows a thing or three about 2-wheels so I'll give her a pass on that comment.

Not to mention she has her own underwear line - how cool is that!

:p
Well I stand corrected. I briefed the article, and laugh as you may, I thought "Paris" was a parody person. Not realizing she is someone that I could watch her tail lights vanish in the distance, leaving me wondering if I have air in my tires. Probably tops out 1198's before breakfast and uses the 9 for remedial's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
well all I can say is I'm real happy with my FZ-09.. It seems to me that the canadian journalists didn't mention the brakes or suspension. I didn't care either way, as once I rode the bike it was all good. I'm somewhat of a novice on sport bikes coming from cruisers but I love it. With a little money you can fix those things but at this point I love it the way it is. Keep up the good work Yamaha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts