Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcycle handlebar vibration reduction. Anyone have experience or insight? I'm having a lot of numbness issues with my right hand. Would love to find an economical solution for handlebar vibration reduction. Thanks Guys. :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I also notice it more with the right hand, in fact I would swear that can see my right mirror vibrating more at certain RPM then the left.

I used to use a Bar Snake in my MX bike and have considering using one on the FZ.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Lots of different ways to address handlebar vibration.

Some things to think about:
1) make sure engine mount bolts and the handlebar mounts are all tight and torqued properly. An under torqued mount or handlebar bolt can allow vibration to resonate through the bike.
2) Make sure you are not gripping the handlebar too hard. A white knuckle grip will cause over sensitivity to the vibrations.
3) The handlebars are control inputs and not hand holds for hanging onto the bike. Your thighs, knees and butt keep you connected to the bike, not your hands.
4) Make sure levers are tight, if you have aftermarket levers they can have sloppy tolerances and amplify vibrations.
5) Stock handlebar weights are intended to deaden vibrations in the handlebars. A loose or missing handlebar weight can't do it's job. If you removed the weights for aftermarket bar ends or bar end mirrors that could be the cause.
6) Are you wearing gloves?
7) You can change the vibrating harmonic of the handlebar by filling it with something like silicon caulking or similar filling materials. Adding weights inside the handlebars can also change the harmonic of the handlebars.
8) Do you regularly relax you grip and flex your hands while riding? Holding your hand in one position too long can cause it to go numb.
9) Try moving the handlebars forward and aft to change the angle of your wrists when you ride.
10) Make sure the clutch and brake lever are properly aligned with your forearm while riding to minimize the angle your wrists are bent while riding. This is the most comfortable position for most people, gives you the best control of the levers and tends to NOT pinch nerves and blood vessels in the wrist (carpal tunnel).
11) you can try a cramp-buster type of throttle rest.
12) Make sure you are NOT riding with your elbows locked. Your elbows should be loose and bent at least a little.
13) Suspension setting affect how much road vibration gets to your hand.
14) Tire balance, tire wear, chain alignment can also be sources of vibration.

There are a few items to check.

Others might have a few other ideas.

Check those things out and let us know how it works out.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
The FZ09 is really pretty smooth and not a lot of vibration at the bars. One suggestion that I'm going to make which may help a lot is to relax your grip on the bars. You should be gripping them at about the same level of grip as if you are shaking hands with a baby! NOPE......I'm not kidding and I'm NOT trying to be funny. Obviously, when you are in a full blown acceleration mode, you have to grip a bit more, but in those instances, your knees should be pushing in against the tank very firmly and mostly holding yourself in place with your knees against the tank and feet on the pegs.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
True Vern, but there is a huge difference in sensitivity to vibration. Two riders that in all respects seem the same including relaxed grips and on the same bike, one rider might be fine and the other has problems.

There can be small vibration differences between bikes of the same model too I think.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Sometimes, as much as we hate to admit it, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or the start of it can cause a lot of numbness in the hands and sometime people think the bike is vibrating so much that their hands are going to sleep. I had Carpal Tunnel surgery in 2001 and have never had anymore issues with it since......knock on wood. To me, the FZ09 is very smooth.

Motomania just made a very, very good post also regarding this issue and said a whole lot more than I did.......all valid points and very well stated. Nice job Moto!

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
True Vern, but there is a huge difference in sensitivity to vibration. Two riders that in all respects seem the same including relaxed grips and on the same bike, one rider might be fine and the other has problems.

There can be small vibration differences between bikes of the same model too I think.
Admit it Bob.......you are just a cratchety OLD guy........just like me! :eek:

Reactions: v2Bob
G

·
Motorcycle handlebar vibration reduction. Anyone have experience or insight? I'm having a lot of numbness issues with my right hand. Would love to find an economical solution for handlebar vibration reduction. Thanks Guys. :color: :cool: :color:
I'm in the same vote. All tho I did install aftermarket handlebars without the stock end weights. I just can't remember if the Stock ones were as bad. prolly wasn't

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank You Motomania and everyone for your assistance.

I've checked engine mount bolts and the handlebar mounts for proper torque.
I do use a light grip. I also flex my hands often.
I do have gas tank knee pads from Nick and I do grip with my knees.
My stock levers are tight and I am using the stock bar and end weights.
I’m wearing gloves but will be buying gel pad gloves.
I am considering trying silica sand to fill my handlebar but thought I ask you guys first.
Just bought a cramp-buster type of throttle rest. Get it delivered Wednesday.

I've had carpal tunnel and worn DR. prescribed wrist braces for a year more than once. My Orthopedist said surgery was a quick repair but preferred wrist braces (for a year) which I tried wearing today. I’ve also had Tennis Elbow and worn elbow braces for a year. I tried wearing those today also. I have a whiplash injury from thirty seven years ago and the only repair is removal of the third cervical vertebra and steel plate held in by screws. Said no to that for thirty six years and that is still the only medical solution offered...
Will try moving the handlebars forward and will check the clutch and brake levers alignment.
Elbows bent as I read was proper riding position years ago.
Tire balance, tire wear, and chain alignment are all double checked and good.

I agree triple threat: the FZ-09 is pretty smooth.

Suspension setting are stock with the preload spring set to the softest setting. I fractured my spine thirty eight years ago and had a six joint lumbar fusion. Twenty eight years ago I broke my sacrum and had a spinal cord injury. I receive spinal epidurals for pain management six or more times a year. I’ve also been “broken up” several other times. Turning the preload spring down was the first thing I did. Custom seat was second.

A stiff suspension makes for a short ride and too many narcotics impairs my safety.

Nick said “Given your weight, I'd recommend sticking with the stock springs in the forks and running a 550 lb/in shock spring. This will emphasize comfort over sport spotlessness, but the improved damping will add a lot of control that the factory stuff lacks.” I need to contact Nick and see what shock he recommends. What rear shock does anyone recommend that I can tolerate. I can not endure a harsh ride. Takes away all the joy quickly.

I’ve ridden 6500 miles since March first. I was told I had lung cancer and I went straight to a Yamaha dealer and bought my FZ-09. When I started to ride again I forgot I had cancer. I had part of my lung removed and I’m now lung cancer free. Owe enough medical bills to buy another FZ-09.

I know the limits of my shock all to well and ride accordingly. I use Angel GT’s and I’ve had the rear tire skip in a twisty more than once. Two weeks ago I had my bike up on the front tire and the rear come partly around while turning into a gas station due to a female coming up from behind and exiting using all three gas station exit lanes I was turning into. I was traveling under twenty miles per hour.

I put lights on my bike for visibility and I wear a high visibility vest when I ride. Damn tired of being broken up.
:color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The 09 os pretty smooth... come over and borrow my FZ6R for a weekend! The 6R is much better than stock with my Renthal bars and very heavy bar ends... amd still. Cruising at 7K rpm is noy smooth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Absolutely......YES!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Thank You Motomania and everyone for your assistance.

I've checked engine mount bolts and the handlebar mounts for proper torque.
I do use a light grip. I also flex my hands often.
I do have gas tank knee pads from Nick and I do grip with my knees.
My stock levers are tight and I am using the stock bar and end weights.
I’m wearing gloves but will be buying gel pad gloves.
I am considering trying silica sand to fill my handlebar but thought I ask you guys first.
Just bought a cramp-buster type of throttle rest. Get it delivered Wednesday.

I've had carpal tunnel and worn DR. prescribed wrist braces for a year more than once. My Orthopedist said surgery was a quick repair but preferred wrist braces (for a year) which I tried wearing today. I’ve also had Tennis Elbow and worn elbow braces for a year. I tried wearing those today also. I have a whiplash injury from thirty seven years ago and the only repair is removal of the third cervical vertebra and steel plate held in by screws. Said no to that for thirty six years and that is still the only medical solution offered...
Will try moving the handlebars forward and will check the clutch and brake levers alignment.
Elbows bent as I read was proper riding position years ago.
Tire balance, tire wear, and chain alignment are all double checked and good.

I agree triple threat: the FZ-09 is pretty smooth.

Suspension setting are stock with the preload spring set to the softest setting. I fractured my spine thirty eight years ago and had a six joint lumbar fusion. Twenty eight years ago I broke my sacrum and had a spinal cord injury. I receive spinal epidurals for pain management six or more times a year. I’ve also been “broken up” several other times. Turning the preload spring down was the first thing I did. Custom seat was second.

A stiff suspension makes for a short ride and too many narcotics impairs my safety.

Nick said “Given your weight, I'd recommend sticking with the stock springs in the forks and running a 550 lb/in shock spring. This will emphasize comfort over sport spotlessness, but the improved damping will add a lot of control that the factory stuff lacks.” I need to contact Nick and see what shock he recommends. What rear shock does anyone recommend that I can tolerate. I can not endure a harsh ride. Takes away all the joy quickly.

I’ve ridden 6500 miles since March first. I was told I had lung cancer and I went straight to a Yamaha dealer and bought my FZ-09. When I started to ride again I forgot I had cancer. I had part of my lung removed and I’m now lung cancer free. Owe enough medical bills to buy another FZ-09.

I know the limits of my shock all to well and ride accordingly. I use Angel GT’s and I’ve had the rear tire skip in a twisty more than once. Two weeks ago I had my bike up on the front tire and the rear come partly around while turning into a gas station due to a female coming up from behind and exiting using all three gas station exit lanes I was turning into. I was traveling under twenty miles per hour.

I put lights on my bike for visibility and I wear a high visibility vest when I ride. Damn tired of being broken up.
:color: :cool: :color:
Ride on dude! I am impressed and inspired to ride as long as physically possible.

I have a BMW and I am on a couple of BMW forums, this time last year a strange inquiry was posted about creditors rights to collect against an estate and heirs.

A little prodding and the poster admitted to recently purchasing a new BMW (@25k) and was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer all over his body. His wife had already passed on. His one remaining life goal was to ride 4 corners of the lower 48.

He did it and posted updates along the way. His health failing he ended up in New Mexico but he had yet to make it to the final corner in San Diego. Several forum members picked him up in New Mexico and sheparded him through to San Diego. It was a real life triumph! His daughter met him there and took him to her home where he passed on a few days later. She posted a few notes of gratitude he left.

It was inspiring.

Keep riding = keeping living to me

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
159 Posts
umm, I don't remember. I think it was the FZ6 from 2013. 7/8 bar size I believe.
Can anyone confirm which Pro Grip 699 grips work on an FZ09? The bike is not listed on the options - but I am sure at least one other bike has the same size/specs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've had many bikes and it's the first time I experience numbness in the right hand. I'll have to get a cruise control (the 10$ plastic that helps keep the throttle in one position). I don't think it vibrates that much but it's more the frequency at which it vibrates. More of an issue with my thin summer gloves. I hold handlebars very loosely.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Can anyone confirm which Pro Grip 699 grips work on an FZ09? The bike is not listed on the options - but I am sure at least one other bike has the same size/specs.
I think street bike grips are of a fairly generic size as long as you aren't talking about some cruisers that have larger diameters.

When ordering grips if you don't see the FZ-09 listed pick something like a 2013 Yamaha FZ1, R6, etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts