Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
It might just be me, but I'm not a fan of motorcycle "shoes" I'd rather have full height boots. Might be because I wear boots everywhere but they gym, but I've also had my ankles saved by wearing boots when i could have easily rolled my ankle and possibly broken it. Plus under jeans these will look like regular boots...so I'm not sure what you mean by low key. I guess they are cheaper than Most other boots, and Alpinestars make good gear.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I bought those exact boots when I bought my 09, I absolutely love them. I mainly commute to work with them and occasional weekend twisty rides. they are super comfortable and if your not looking for full on serious protection they are great.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I am of the same opinion as Deadeye and V2Bob.....more protection is definitely better. I won't criticize anyone for wearing what they want to wear, but I will offer my opinion. When you go down on a motorcycle and your feet and ankles are very vulnerable to injury by scraping, twisting, hyper-extending, etc. you want the best protection from that type of injury, that you can afford to buy. In my opinion, the short, ankle height, so called boots don't offer nearly enough protection for an off bike incident. I would guess that they are probably pretty comfortable, but so are the 3 or 4 different pairs of riding boots that I have.......NONE of which are ankle height boots. I think some folks buy these because they give you a feeling of having some protection on while riding, but for the amount of protection (or should I say NON-Protection) that they offer, I would buy something that would also offer protection from twisting the ankle area and obviously allowing your ankle to scrape the pavement if (when) you go down.

And as a disclaimer for the above advice.....I'm NOT suggesting all of that because I'm a track day kind of guy. I wear the same gear when riding on the street as I do on the track. The only difference is sometimes I wear an Olympia Brand Textile suit instead of full leathers. But, I will always have on my track boots and gloves that come over the wrist by about 4 inches......many times they are the same exact glove that I wear while doing track days.

Good gear (gear that really does protect you in a fall/incident) is not necessarily inexpensive, but neither are hospital bills from other issues caused by lack of good protection.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
For protection wear greater than ankle high leather boots. If you aren't worried about protection then you might as well wear skater shoes which are very comfortable on the bike and you won't have to worry about protection, there is none.

I wear these because they are very light, allow the wind to pass through them so very cool, they zip up the side so I can get them off and on very easy, and are above the ankle and made of strong materials. Also note that they have slip resistant soles which are perfect for oil on the roads.

I bought them so I could have foot protection and my feet would stay cool. I tested them in the Mississippi summer and they performed perfectly. I even crashed with them back in early December and I didn't get any damage to my feet and ankles.

Just my .02 for an inexpensive alternative to expensive motorcycle gear.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm also starting to look at boots. My thing is that I'll be a mostly around-town rider and I am. To going to be taking boots on and off at each stop. I need something that will be comfortable for walking around or they just won't get worn at all.

In the past I wore 8-eye Doc Martens, which I'm sure the ATGATT guys would find insufficient but which I felt offered a compromise I could deal with.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey guys! I am looking into getting some low key motorcycle boots, preferably like sneakers with ankle supports. Have any of you dealt with these Alpinestars? I tried some on today and they were pretty good feeling. Great reviews online also. What do you guys suggest?

Alpinestars Men's S-MX 1 Boots Black - SoloMotoParts.com
Despite what all these guys say, I like your choice. I normally use AStars when I ride which extend up the leg but when I ride to work, I just use dress shoes. The problem with that is you must double tie the shoestrings or they may get tangled up with the controls.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
For protection wear greater than ankle high leather boots. If you aren't worried about protection then you might as well wear skater shoes which are very comfortable on the bike and you won't have to worry about protection, there is none.

I wear these because they are very light, allow the wind to pass through them so very cool, they zip up the side so I can get them off and on very easy, and are above the ankle and made of strong materials. Also note that they have slip resistant soles which are perfect for oil on the roads.

I bought them so I could have foot protection and my feet would stay cool. I tested them in the Mississippi summer and they performed perfectly. I even crashed with them back in early December and I didn't get any damage to my feet and ankles.

Just my .02 for an inexpensive alternative to expensive motorcycle gear.
I get the point you're trying to make here but those smx1s are a huge upgrade from sneakers.

While I agree with others, something like the smx6 is way safer. If you don't want a full length boot, at least the smx1 will give some ankle protection and toe protection/make it less painful to shift.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I get the point you're trying to make here but those smx1s are a huge upgrade from sneakers.

While I agree with others, something like the smx6 is way safer. If you don't want a full length boot, at least the smx1 will give some ankle protection and toe protection/make it less painful to shift.

They are an upgrade, I agree. But for me some=no and full=actual protection.

A few years back I broke my ankle hiking because I was wearing a hiking "boot" that didn't go above my ankle. But according to the literature it provided ankle support. It supported it great till I broke my ankle and was stranded 3.5 hours from my car and an hours drive from there to medical attention with no cell service.

I luckily carry a Sam splint everywhere I hike, saved me that day from a very dangerous situation. Now I wear boots that cover and protect my ankles any time I can prevent death or serious injury.

Extreme cases I know, but it doesn't take a lot to break a leg and when you factor in a 400lb bike and speed.

Nobody ever died from shifting in boots, and with the bates boots I use...shifting isn't painful.

Complaining about painful shifting is like complaining about a little sweat while you are wearing leather gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: beck

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Despite what all these guys say, I like your choice. I normally use AStars when I ride which extend up the leg but when I ride to work, I just use dress shoes. The problem with that is you must double tie the shoestrings or they may get tangled up with the controls.
So, what's the logic with that statement ^^^ highlighted in bold? Can you not crash or have an accident on your way to work? If that's the case, I'm calling my insurance company and telling them to lower my rates on my work vehicle!

Reactions: zloikish and beck

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
So, what's the logic with that statement ^^^ highlighted in bold? Can you not crash or have an accident on your way to work? If that's the case, I'm calling my insurance company and telling them to lower my rates on my work vehicle!
Agreed, i keep a pair of dress shoes at my office and wear my gear to work.

I haven't crashed (knock on metal) but i've heard too many stories of people getting complacent, wearing low brow gear because it looks better or its just more convenient and getting seriously hurt.

I had one buddy who low sided in dress pants at 30mph and was fine. But the odds are stacked against you, he simply got lucky and even though he was OK, he went out and bought some kevlar riding jeans with Ce armor the next day.

Good Motorcycle gear typically isnt comfortable all day long on and off the bike. It's meant to be on a bike.

If you want versatility, buy a tail bag (i just got a Kreiga 20) which will fit all your comfortable clothes and switch when you get to your destination.

I always pack an extra pair of boxers just in case I almost shit myself on a ride (they should make that a disclaimer with this bike in a mode :) )

·
Registered
244 Posts
Be comfortable first and foremost, that will led being relax & enjoying your ride and be ready for those *^$! situations :evil6:
I have various SIDI ones, commuting (mid height boot), touring (full boot ) to cover the shin.. nothing is better than a little rock hitting the shin, your tears are running down into your cheek pad and their is nothing you can do aaarrhh, and track ones for the sliders. Hope that helped... again as with suspension it depends on the task. But get comfy gear -period!

Ex. of my SIDI mid height commuter boot (super comfy through the day in the office)
SidiSportRainMidHeightBoot.jpg

They where half of ($139) @ http://www.motorcyclegear.com, and nope they don't pay me to endorse them but the service and deals are righteous. Especially their own 'Our 2 cents' review'.. here is your selection Alpinestars S-MX 1 Boots - 2012 same price but with their comments :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you haven't gotten boots before you should try some on if possible. The Dainese Torque RS Out/In boots fit me perfectly, while I find other models from Dainese are either too tight/narrow, or too loose. A*s I find are too wide on my feet and SIDI's tend to be super loose. Granted, I'm a pretty tiny guy, size 8 shoe, but regardless you may find a boot that fits your foot like a glove. They're not hard to break-in and they're meant to be comfortable, being that a lot of people will be riding for long distances and long times at once. I think you can find a full boot that is both comfortable and stylish, yet doesn't lack in the area of maximum protection.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
triplethreat is right on point about gear!

one thing i will add though is good gear that fits you properly IS and should be comfortable.

i wear my aerostitch suit and daytona boots to work every day. the daytonas are comfortable enough to wear all day at the office but i also keep dress shoes at the office to change into.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts