Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

While the rider is really excited about the bike, his delivery is a little lacking. That is just me though.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
What do you guys think?
Im glad you asked, because "I think" that young riders are spoiled. The environment they learned to ride in taught them that if you want to go around a corner fast....then you have to have "track bike" suspension....which...since you asked is bullshit. You put a seasoned rider on an FZ-09 ..on a twisty road....and he will NOT hang off the side of it like Marc Marquez...and he will just disappear on all the kids...no matter what they are riding. The FZ-09 wasn't made to be the holy grail of canyon carving. It was made for Yamaha to make money.....and the way to do that is to offer a reasonably affordable bike with an awesome motor. And that is what they did. For 8k what the hell more could you ask for?

·
Registered
232 Posts
this post is on here twice now so i will paste the same reply good video but imo. for everyday riders the suspension and brakes are just fine for me good alround bike

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Not because I'm bias since I own one. But bang for the $$$ this bike will go down history being one of the (won't say best but...) solid bike. Suspension is not perfect... but so 75% of the bike out there. If you are a serious rider you need it custom for you. So aiming somewhere in the middle is fine.

And just like he said... I rather spend $ upgrading suspension and try to find 20 HP!

·
Super Moderator
5,699 Posts
CD599 wrote:
You put a seasoned rider on an FZ-09 ..on a twisty road....and he will NOT hang off the side of it like Marc Marquez...and he will just disappear on all the kids...no matter what they are riding.
While I don't disagree with you about the bike being a way for Yamaha to make money, and it being a great motor, and the bike has lots of appeal to many, many folks, what I will disagree with you about is your statement that I quoted from you.

Although the FZ09 is a great bike with a monster motor, I can honestly say that the suspension (average at BEST) will truly limit a seasoned rider's ability to "disappear" from the "kids" on whatever bike they are on. As a very experienced rider myself, and having done a track day on the FZ09, the bike is very limited in it's handling when pushed hard with the stock suspension. As an example for you; the track day that I'm speaking of, I took both of my bikes, my dedicated track bike (600RR) and the FZ09. During the morning sessions, I rode the 600RR and then in the afternoon, I switched to the FZ. Lap times were in the 10 to 11 seconds slower on the FZ than the 600RR, yet the FZ is making more H.P., more torque, and the weight is close to being equal. In my opinion, there were two very distinct contributing factors that affected the lap times.
1. Tires........the 600RR had the Michelin Power Cups on it. The FZ09 was running a set of the Dunlop Q3's
2. Suspension.....the 600RR has a full Ohlins setup dialed in for my weight. The FZ has........well, the stock suspension.

That is not to say that the FZ is not a great bike, but it's MAJOR shortcoming is the forks and the shock. This bike is very easy for me to over-ride the bike's ability....suspension wise.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
CD599 wrote:

While I don't disagree with you about the bike being a way for Yamaha to make money, and it being a great motor, and the bike has lots of appeal to many, many folks, what I will disagree with you about is your statement that I quoted from you.

Although the FZ09 is a great bike with a monster motor, I can honestly say that the suspension (average at BEST) will truly limit a seasoned rider's ability to "disappear" from the "kids" on whatever bike they are on. As a very experienced rider myself, and having done a track day on the FZ09, the bike is very limited in it's handling when pushed hard with the stock suspension. As an example for you; the track day that I'm speaking of, I took both of my bikes, my dedicated track bike (600RR) and the FZ09. During the morning sessions, I rode the 600RR and then in the afternoon, I switched to the FZ. Lap times were in the 10 to 11 seconds slower on the FZ than the 600RR, yet the FZ is making more H.P., more torque, and the weight is close to being equal. In my opinion, there were two very distinct contributing factors that affected the lap times.
1. Tires........the 600RR had the Michelin Power Cups on it. The FZ09 was running a set of the Dunlop Q3's
2. Suspension.....the 600RR has a full Ohlins setup dialed in for my weight. The FZ has........well, the stock suspension.

That is not to say that the FZ is not a great bike, but it's MAJOR shortcoming is the forks and the shock. This bike is very easy for me to over-ride the bike's ability....suspension wise.
Ya gotta pay attention Vern. I said "on a twisty road"......not a racetrack.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ya gotta pay attention Vern. I said "on a twisty road"......not a racetrack.
...against well set up track bikes.

·
Super Moderator
5,699 Posts
Twisty road or a track environment.......the results are going to be pretty much the same........the Fz's suspension limits it's capabilities a lot. I can guarantee you that I can run away from the FZ with my other 600RR, which is completely STOCK!....on the twisties.

Reactions: tacii and ktk_ace

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Best video review of the FZ-09 yet. It's an exciting vid and will get prospective buyers blood flowing.

I have one and am going to watch it again. Thanks for posting Nick.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I finally got my copy of Motorcyclist in the mail today. Oddly enough, Ari Henning didn't write the review. They were probably all fighting over it, and someone pulled rank on him.

He can ride, that's for sure. I suppose the debate on the suspension comes according to your skill level, and experience. I've always ridden relatively cheap junk, so I wouldn't know any better. It's obvious that the serious guys who have ridden top end bikes, want a bit more than the FZ-09 has to offer.

I'm sure a stock set up would be ok for what I would be throwing at it. And as others have said, brakes and shocks a lot easier to swap than an engine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i only wish i had the stones to ride it to its full potential like these guys oh well have to practice practice practice practice but for now will have to wait till spring...

·
Super Moderator
5,699 Posts
Im glad you asked, because "I think" that young riders are spoiled. The environment they learned to ride in taught them that if you want to go around a corner fast....then you have to have "track bike" suspension....which...since you asked is bullshit. You put a seasoned rider on an FZ-09 ..on a twisty road....and he will NOT hang off the side of it like Marc Marquez...and he will just disappear on all the kids...no matter what they are riding. The FZ-09 wasn't made to be the holy grail of canyon carving. It was made for Yamaha to make money.....and the way to do that is to offer a reasonably affordable bike with an awesome motor. And that is what they did. For 8k what the hell more could you ask for?
Hey CD.......Here is an interesting article about the young kid that was riding the FZ in the video up above. He's actually a pretty classy "kid" and has some history behind him. It's a pretty good read.

Ari Henning: 1968 Honda CB350 - Motorcyclist Magazine

Reactions: ktk_ace and v2Bob

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey CD.......Here is an interesting article about the young kid that was riding the FZ in the video up above. He's actually a pretty classy "kid" and has some history behind him. It's a pretty good read.

Ari Henning: 1968 Honda CB350 - Motorcyclist Magazine
Anyone who subscribes to Motorcyclist Magazine (like me) is very familiar with Ari Henning. He writes great articles. He's may look like a surfer, but he's very knowledgeable about bikes. They have some great columnists at that mag. I enjoy "Code Break" and "Cook's Corner" every month along with Ari's stuff.

Great link by the way Trip.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I know who he is and I know his Dad Todd's legacy of roadracing. You don't think for a minute he or his Dad ever hit a track or a roadrace on stock suspension do you? He's spoiled...like I said.

·
Super Moderator
5,699 Posts
Kind of off the subject a bit, but does having electricity vs. coal-oil lamps.......and indoor plumbing vs. an outhouse make me spoiled? If it does, I'm a 59 year old spoiled kid then and I wouldn't change it and go back to either one of those two ways of life on a regular basis. I spent enough time when I was younger, pooping in the woods and no electricity (rough camping) during deer season........ain't happening no more...............left turn please and back on track!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok what are your guys weight that are saying the suspeniton isn't the best? I'm 155 with gear, how do you think the stock set up will be?

·
Super Moderator
5,699 Posts
At 155 WITH gear, you've got a good chance that the stock suspension will work OK for you. Again, a lot of it will depend on your riding style and how aggressive you ride....in other words....commuting on the bike vs. mountain roads and lots of twisties. More than likely though, with the amount of fork dive when hard braking is done, and the amount of rear end squat on hard acelleration, some improvements can be made with a Penske shock on the rear and stiffer springs in the front forks with heavier wt. oil.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I think Paul Thede (owner of Racetech) said it best: "The best you've ridden is the best you know". Even if you have the skills and balls to hustle a poorly suspended bike down your favorite road at breakneck speed, a good setup will pay dividends in safety. If the tires can't follow the imperfections of the road and are out of sorts under heavy braking or acceleration, you're writing checks your bike can't cash.

Bottom line - the rider will know if the suspension is limiting their fun. If it isn't, they got off easy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts