Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Nov issue of the mag and was glad to see that the full exhaust produced sich little gains, 3hp 5lbs, and NO TORQUE!!!!! All this for $1265.00. As I've stated in the forum before Yamaha has done a great job with this motor and as Ari states its not lacking HP . We fight noise issues everyday with motorcycles and the modern chambered exhaust systems work very very well, I get to ride alot of motorcycles so I know this is true. In my humble opinion if all you want to do is make more noise buy a $10.oo tupperwear helmet and a Harley . Ride Safe RR:cool:

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
What full exhaust? The Akra carbon adds a lot more, for a lot less $$. It also weighs 8lbs less. Also, max hp isn't the whole story, the Akra adds tq in the midrange where riders want it... Max numbers don't mean a thing. The Akra also costs $709.

image.jpg

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
With a flash, Nick shows the Akra producing 116hp on the same dyno that shows the stock bike at 105hp....

That is nothing short of amazing to me. The bike is held back by its factory mapping.

image.jpg

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Akra Ti or Carbon?

Admittedly, the Akra Ti is not a very high performance full system, the Carbon however is pretty awesome, for a lot less money.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its the TI from the pictures he posted, the mapping change has alot to do with the gains nothing happens until the fuel and air is in the motor. I agree you can ad alot of power if you spend the money its called (cubic dollars ) Having my bike for one year I've found that with the groups I ride with if I can't keep up or stay out front its because of my riding or the bikes suspinsion but never the motor or trans or brakes. Plan to fix the forks and shock this winter. RR:cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Its the TI from the pictures he posted, the mapping change has alot to do with the gains nothing happens until the fuel and air is in the motor. I agree you can ad alot of power if you spend the money its called (cubic dollars ) Having my bike for one year I've found that with the groups I ride with if I can't keep up or stay out front its because of my riding or the bikes suspinsion but never the motor or trans or brakes. Plan to fix the forks and shock this winter. RR:cool:
Smart post :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
This is why it's nice to have free will and upgrade what we all see as a priority to us as individuals. Until the Akra Carbon I wouldn't have changed the exhaust, because they were all so expensive and offered almost no gains in performance.

I do find it a little disingenuous that they buy the most expensive, poorest performing, full exhaust and do no fueling corrections and somehow that means there isn't much to be gained with an exhaust on the bike. They could have gained 11hp for $300-$500 less than they spent to gain 3hp, if they had done some research.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hell, the Akra Carbon could take away 10hp/tq and I'd still install it. Sounds amazing. Gives me chills running through the gears. $700 after pricematching at Revzilla. Free shipping!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now thats a Harley guys statement for sure (just kidding ) Ari said the same thing he liked the stock exhaust performance and looks but wanted more sound. That much money will buy a top of the line shock and a fork kit. In my mind good suspension is always better than more noise, hell I wear custom ear plugs and a super quiet helmet so I wouldn't hear the pipe anyway. RR:cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Probably before I bought the bike, I knew the suspension was going to have to be upgraded. After buying the bike and riding it, I KNEW the bike was going to have to have suspension upgrades. My way of thinking was to improve suspension and resolve those issues before spending money on exhaust/mapping/flash....and that was the order that I took on my bike. I have to say though, I do love the sound of my uncorked Arrow full system.....but I really love how much better the bike handles with the upgraded susupension bits. If the bike is wallowing and unstable in the corners, no amount of HP/Torque is going to help you get through the turns.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Couldn't agree more, If we ever get some rain the suspension is next but I've been having to much fun to have any down time for the bike, just did 2600 miles in Oregon and Washington and 500 mile days are easy with the seat concepts seat and 25cm ermax screen. The stock suspension is OK for touring but I want it alot better so I will be calling Nick soon. RR:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts