Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for all of us MotoGP enthusiasts & avid followers,

What did you think of Lorenzo's comment ?

.... "Lorenzo: I was better than Rossi in everything"

For Rossi to have come up through the pack & pass almost everyone in the race,
and we know there were more than a few who didn't just move over & let him pass
as if they were down a lap.

But was Lorenzo right in saying what he did ?

We want to know what other MotoGP Fans thought of the last race of 2015 ?

And based on the final results of this last race, was there any validity to Rossi's claim
prior to the Sepang Race that he made regarding Marquez ?

This has definitely been a hot topic at HardRacing and we want to know

what other Superfans thoughts are on the outcome ....

·
Registered
990 Posts
I posted this yesterday in the Sepang thread, and here are my thoughts since then.

Is it legal for Marquez to to favor Lorenzo for the championship over Rossi? Yes. Does he have to admit it? He should but he doesn't have to. Should Rossi be bothered by this? I don't know, he is bothered by it, but i would say it's not productive to comain in public. Does it damage JL and MM? Yes, but it also damages MotoGP and Rossi.

·
Registered
555 Posts
His comment was unfortunate but not unexpected, difficult at times to tell if he meant season long or just the race.

When Lorenzo gets to #8 maybe he could say it again but Rossi has gotten it done for a long time.

We all like to think of racing as an individual sport, Lorenzo kind of validated some of Rossi's remarks (perhaps walked them back later).

"Lorenzo told the Movistar MotoGP TV channel shortly after Sunday's race that Marquez and Pedrosa's Spanish nationality had 'helped' him during the race, saying: “They knew what I had in play. The fact they are Spaniards like me helped me. That helped me because for sure in another kind of race they would have tried to overtake, which they didn't this time." He also mentioned that if the Italians were in the same position, etc. tossing the same comment back, albeit without naming names.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Lorenzo may have been faster but consistency wins championships. Too many if's, if Rossi had of come in sooner for dry tires his points leed would have been more. If Marquez had of fought Lorenzo like he did Rossi, things would have been different. If Marc had of pushed his way to the front like he did the entire rest of his career. If, if, if...

Rossi had the points leed the entire series. I don't blame him for blowing his top. He knows what the Honda and Marc were capable of and was trying to win the championship the way that he always has by being a threat to the finish line. Lorenzo was in top form and clicked off lap after lap like no other but lack of consistency from race to race was not going to get it done for him.

The thing that gets my goat is that Marc protected Lorenzo, which was evident when he repassed Pedrosa and pulled the gap back to Lorenzo. Pedrosa clawed back two seconds in four laps on the very same bike that Marc was on. I never heard Marc previous to the last few races give excuses for not taking the lead. He always went for it, regardless. Anything that he says to the contrary is a lie. I consider Marc and Jorge liars and poor sportsmen. Rossi will learn that his craftful jest to the press does not always work to his advantage. The shining star this year was Pedrosa. He stayed out of the madness and put in some great performances. He proved to me that he has grown up despite the frustration that his career has endured.

The sport has been seriously tarnished in my eyes, so I will spend more of my energy cheering on the guys in SBK and BSB. I will still watch the races, but not with the heart and intensity that I have in the past. I feel that everyone came out a loser in this drama.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The only thing Lorenzo was better at, was nurturing his bromance with his little friend Mark. He can say whatever he likes, but the world knows who the real champ is.
The telling thing I've noticed is that, Ducati excepted, Rossi has always been better at riding around problems and disadvantages. this year he almost took the title despite usually qualifying on the second row.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
When your peers say that you are the baddest dude to ever ride a motorcycle....it's proper and it's cool. But when YOU say you are the baddest dude to ever ride a motorcycle.... it's just low class and bad form.

Now everyone knows for sure that Lorenzo is an arse-whole . No doubt about it. So no...he should have never said it. The Marquez versus Rossi feud began in Argentina and got worse every race afterwards. But as much as I don't like it....both Marquez and Lorenzo are faster than Rossi,... so in the real world.... either one would actually deserve the championship. All Rossi had going for him was sympathy due to his age and due to the two year Ducati fiasco. It's tough to win a championship on sympathy. Rossi came close...but no cigar. I give Rossi props for trying so hard...and for that...I'm now a Rossi fan forever...until he retires.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I don't think he led on points all year due to sympathy. It's the old saying, to finish first, first you must finish. Marquez failed this rule, and Lorenzo almost did.
It'll be interesting next year, if Rossi maintains motivation that is, because the bikes will be so different they'll be unrecognisable from this years. And Rossi has always been a brilliant developement rider.

·
Super Moderator
4,072 Posts
At this point...I just don't care. The season is over and Jorge was without question the smoothest, fastest and the guy that was able to lay down scorching laps over and over and over again. I've always been a fan of Valentino and I can only hope he makes the young lads work for it next year. If Honda comes up with a motor/chassis combination that let's Pedrosa and Marquez get the power down coming out of corners and geometry that's not so ponderous in the twidly bits, watch out. I believe everyone has to go to the spec ECU next year and that could be a bugger for everyone. And HRC may have to find another primary sponsor as Repsol is hemorrhaging cash with oil prices being in the barrel, so to speak.

As to Rossi's age...well, he's only limited by his conditioning, diet and eyesight. He was obviously shagged after some of the races this year, so he'll have to turn it up a notch in 2016. Hell, some IOM TT riders are very quick and successful into their early 40's and no one can question the difficulty of the challenge presented by the Mountain Course. So anything is possible. But it won't be easy for Vale.

My attention will be elsewhere in 2016. Let's see if Nicky can even finish anywhere near the top in WSBK. Sadly, he'll have to do it on a Honda.
Oh how I long for the days when Speedvision gave us Australian Superbike during "our" offseason.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Ok, for all of us MotoGP enthusiasts & avid followers,

What did you think of Lorenzo's comment ?

.... "Lorenzo: I was better than Rossi in everything"

For Rossi to have come up through the pack & pass almost everyone in the race,
and we know there were more than a few who didn't just move over & let him pass
as if they were down a lap.

But was Lorenzo right in saying what he did ?

We want to know what other MotoGP Fans thought of the last race of 2015 ?

And based on the final results of this last race, was there any validity to Rossi's claim
prior to the Sepang Race that he made regarding Marquez ?

This has definitely been a hot topic at HardRacing and we want to know

what other Superfans thoughts are on the outcome ....

Where did he say this? Got a link, because I can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
990 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Don't forget MotoGP is going back to Michelin next year, that'll throw the cat among the pigeons.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Ride to fish,
australian superbikes arent that good anymore.
Too much infighting, split series, different promoters... Trying to get it all together, but it has been better.

Next season will be interesting.
Marquez has gone from being unstoppable last season to being very stoppabe this season. I'm keen to see how he bounces back.
Rossi and Lorenzo will be interesting next year as well - if Rossi wanted a curtain between the pitt garages years ago when he and Lorenzo were first team mates, i think he'll want a brick wall now.
And Rossi will always be interesting, he went from being a god, to being a grid filler with ducati (comparative to where he was), and this season he has been a god or devil depending on how passionate you are. Keen to see how he bounces back, too. It took a while after ducati, so hope it doesnt take so long this time.
Pedrosa will probably be Mr slow and steady as always. For an alien riding a motorcycle, anyway.

As to Lorenzo's comment, well, he won the championship, it must be true. He usually doesnt say much, but he's said some really interesting things after the last couple of races, he's definately fired up.

·
Super Moderator
5,626 Posts
2016 will be somewhat a "start from scratch" for everyone....... new brand of tires AND everyone will be running the same ECU for engine management. Some teams will adapt more quickly than others, and let's face it, at the present time, there's probably not a better rider on the grid than Rossi as far as a "development" rider.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2016 will be somewhat a "start from scratch" for everyone....... new brand of tires AND everyone will be running the same ECU for engine management. Some teams will adapt more quickly than others, and let's face it, at the present time, there's probably not a better rider on the grid than Rossi as far as a "development" rider.

This will be interesting to watch.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I'm guessing he won't be sharing any info with Marquez's husband, Whore Hey.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Hell, some IOM TT riders are very quick and successful into their early 40's and no one can question the difficulty of the challenge presented by the Mountain Course.

Oh how I long for the days when Speedvision gave us Australian Superbike during "our" offseason.
FYI: CBS Sports Network has been showing the 'Real Road Race' series from overseas. Ulster; and other tracks on the IOM besides the mountain course. Who knew.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I have been watching all of the Irish Real Road Race Series all year and I am loving it. They are real men and don't piss on about anything, with the exception of Guy Martin because he is a lunatic and says and does anything that pops into his head. I love that guy all the way to the hospital.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Got to agree about Guy Martin, he's damn near unintelligible. But a natural star. Do you Americans get his TV shows? There have been four I've seen, riding and racing in India, setting speed records on various means of transport, restoring his narrow boat and another on machines from the industrial revolution. Not to mention the movie Closer to the Edge. How many MotoGP riders would admit to having a quick one off the wrist the night before a race? Bloody hilarious he is.
He might be hanging up his leathers though, it sounds like this last crash has rattled him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts