Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Leaving your hazzards on for 5 minutes will cause resistor to melt and almost catch fire.

Run direct power leads to each tail light wire or clip black wires on resistor. and use LED Flasher!

Mine melt down to just about catching fire. This info comes from harry at motodynamic.

Pics and video to come

·
Super Moderator
5,631 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hopefully MotoDynamics will provide a patch with the correct wattage resistors to current owners. Until then, forget the flashers. I was a little taken aback when their instructions said to put the resistors in a well ventilated place as they can get hot. There is no well ventilated place under the FZ09 seat using the provided length wiring.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hopefully MotoDynamics will provide a patch with the correct wattage resistors to current owners. Until then, forget the flashers. I was a little taken aback when their instructions said to put the resistors in a well ventilated place as they can get hot. There is no well ventilated place under the FZ09 seat using the provided length wiring.
I would hope they come out with a non resistor subharness and ship them out to whoever wants one, for free. Let the customer decide whether they want to use a resistor or a new flash relay. It's silly to have people cutting apart their brand new product...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Sorry to hear this, but, I'm ready for anything:

:happy1::icon_study:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I believe this is why the hurtz taillight couldn't have resisters built in.. To much heat!

·
Super Moderator
5,631 Posts
Guys, the easiest, less headache fix for this is to purchase an electronic LED flasher unit that the flash rate is based on a timing circuit in the flasher and NOT by how much current draw the circuit is using. By the time you get a different set of resistors and wire everything in, the cost (unless M.D. pays for it) and the time will far outweigh the cost and time of an electronic flasher unit. The flasher unit can be changed out in about two minutes. Remove the seat, unplug the flasher unit, plug the new flasher unit in and stick it in place with some double sided tape in the same location. Done!

BTW.........I made this a sticky in the Gear and Accessories Section!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Guys, the easiest, less headache fix for this is to purchase an electronic LED flasher unit that the flash rate is based on a timing circuit in the flasher and NOT by how much current draw the circuit is using. By the time you get a different set of resistors and wire everything in, the cost (unless M.D. pays for it) and the time will far outweigh the cost and time of an electronic flasher unit. The flasher unit can be changed out in about two minutes. Remove the seat, unplug the flasher unit, plug the new flasher unit in and stick it in place with some double sided tape in the same location. Done!

BTW.........I made this a sticky in the Gear and Accessories Section!
For quick reference, buy one of these from one of our supporting vendors - Signal Flasher Relay

·
Registered
42 Posts
I successfully used the relay linked above from Tripage. It works great, very simple to install.

Since its a universal fit, the plastic tab to mount it is to big for the 09. You can use double sided tape as mentioned above, or trim the plastic tab and reuse the factory rubber mount off of the OEM relay.

I did the latter.

·
Super Moderator
5,631 Posts
I successfully used the relay linked above from Tripage. It works great, very simple to install.

Since its a universal fit, the plastic tab to mount it is to big for the 09. You can use double sided tape as mentioned above, or trim the plastic tab and reuse the factory rubber mount off of the OEM relay.

I did the latter.
Good info....thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Will the electronic flash unit work with stock incandescent turn signals?

·
Registered
298 Posts
It should. In my experience at least, they all have.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I still have the factory incandescent signals in the front, and an aftermarket LED integrated taillight. They were flashing at the fast rate after the taillight install, until I put the relay in. Now front and rear flash at the proper rate. I hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just so everyone knows... This info is from harry if you use a led flasher and wire each signal power lead to each of the tail light power leads there will be no issue and all will work fine.
I have done this and left the hazards on for 30 minutes not even warm to the touch. So basically with a led flasher no resistor box is needed at all. Its an issue they will address!

THE LED FLASHER COST 5 BUCKS AND TAKES 2 MINUTES TOPS TO INSTALL

Left them on for more then 2 minutes more like 5

·
Registered
314 Posts
In reality, the EASIEST solution to this problem is don't use your 4 ways! This is the first bike I ever had come with them, and I have never used them. Never wish I had them on my old bike either.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts