Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
in french.

Yamaha MT-09 vs Triumph Street Triple 675 vs BMW F 800 R vs Yamaha FZ8 : LE comparatif 2014 ! - Moto Station

there's a dyno chart on the 3rd page. at 2000 rpm the 09 (green) is already making about 55 ft-lbs of torque at the crank. i can't be sure as google translate sometimes leaves something to be desired, but i think they're saying that the 09's hp and torque curves stop suddenly at 10000rpm because french bikes are restricted to 106bhp and the ecu is accomplishing it by setting a hard rev limit at 10k.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yamaha says the 09's redline is 11250, so i'd expect non-restricted bikes to keep making a bit more power peaking at maybe 10500, then tailing off.

the street triple does have a very flat torque curve, it's just lower everywhere than the 09's but we expected that.

p.s. those graphs are at the crank, not the rear wheel. the article did give rear wheel figures, but didn't include the graphs. the bike was on a rear wheel dyno though, so i suspect the crank figures were derived from the rear wheel measurements. it looks like they assumed ~10% loss from crank to wheel.

W

·
0 Posts
It appears the FZ-09 and the FZ8 have virtually identical peak HP. However, FZ8 has a lot more "character" in getting up there, LOL! Interesting, as I suspected by the time the HP got to the rear wheel it would be about the same with both machines. Also without the EXUP, both the 8 and 9 have that little characteristic inline dip, but the 8's is more noticeable.

I think, after looking at this graph and taking it all in, when one contemplates the weight of the FZ9, the "A" mode "abruptness", and the target market, that "FZ-09" can be translated into "highside" and "wheelie monster", depending on who's riding it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It appears the FZ-09 and the FZ8 have virtually identical peak HP. However, FZ8 has a lot more "character" in getting up there, LOL! Interesting, as I suspected by the time the HP got to the rear wheel it would be about the same with both machines. Also without the EXUP, both the 8 and 9 have that little characteristic inline dip, but the 8's is more noticeable.

I think, after looking at this graph and taking it all in, when one contemplates the weight of the FZ9, the "A" mode "abruptness", and the target market, that "FZ-09" can be translated into "highside" and "wheelie monster", depending on who's riding it.
These models are all restricted to 106hp. The restricted models all make 106hp.

W

·
0 Posts
These models are all restricted to 106hp. The restricted models all make 106hp.
That's oddball. No FZ8 tested here ever made more than about 96 HP at the rear wheel. So 106 CV is a whopping increase, CV being basically the same as mechanical HP. There again, with 115 at the crank one would not expect to see 106 at the rear wheel, more like 100 or a bit over. I think, then, we are looking at mechanical HP rather than hydraulic because there must be some reason why the US tests have much lower HP figures at the rear wheel for Triumph and FZ8 tests. Seems pretty clear they are using a different type of dyno, most US tests are Dynojet as the standard. Guess we'll have to wait for a proper US test to get our numbers.

W

·
0 Posts
in french.

Yamaha MT-09 vs Triumph Street Triple 675 vs BMW F 800 R vs Yamaha FZ8 : LE comparatif 2014 ! - Moto Station

there's a dyno chart on the 3rd page. at 2000 rpm the 09 (green) is already making about 55 ft-lbs of torque at the crank. i can't be sure as google translate sometimes leaves something to be desired, but i think they're saying that the 09's hp and torque curves stop suddenly at 10000rpm because french bikes are restricted to 106bhp and the ecu is accomplishing it by setting a hard rev limit at 10k.
That's what Honda have done with my CB1100D, but it's top speed. Anything over 112 mph she shuts down. Below that speed, though, it can be over-revved into the red zone. That's kind of a bummer for the EU bike because suddenly hitting the rev limiter can be a bit strange if it happens at the wrong time. I wonder if US bikes will get this ECU also, as with my CB1100. Hope not although if so a PC should solve it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if US bikes will get this ECU also, as with my CB1100. Hope not although if so a PC should solve it.
ecu's between european and north american bikes (and those of other markets, for example japan) are pretty much always different. not just because of specific limiters where applicable, but also because of different fuel maps due to the varying fuel quality between markets.

a power commander or bazzaz will not be able to overcome ecu limiters. the only way to 'derestrict' a restricted bike is to replace the ecu with an unrestricted one, or reflash it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts