Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I'm now in the hunt for a Christmas present for myself. Going to sell my CJ-5 and will have some extra cash floating around. Does anyone have any experience with Moto Guzzi, particularly the Griso? I have yet to see one in person but everything about it screams fun and awesome style (in my opinion). Just curious what others have to say about the brand/model. :cool:

red-griso2015-001.jpg

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The Griso is a beautiful bike. I park next to one on most days and it isa beautiful, even if a bit overdone, bike. The details on it are gorgeous and that article says it handles pretty fine too.
If you can, you should go for it!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think that's one of the best looking Guzzi's I've seen. If they cleaned up the seat hump (made it solo) it would be perfect. :thumbsup: The transverse V is one of the coolest designs (literally) out there.

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
I've always loved the Griso. Only slightly more than the mid-90's Sport 1100.

motoguzzi-blue.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Griso is an Italian beauty and seems to be pretty reliable...... for a MG. You're fortunate to have one of the best M G dealer in the country right in your back yard. I made the trip from Fl. to Huston just to have Mike sort out a problem I was having with my 1200Sport. You can't go wrong here: Motorcycle Dealer | Houston Texas | Motorcycle Repair - Moto Guzzi MPH

Just do it, the motor is a joy with a big bunch of torque, and while not "flick able", it does handle surprising well with a low cog.

Paul

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Just never really grabbed my attention for some reason. I've never disliked them, just never wanted one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Most of my decision would hang on how far to the nearest service. Sounds like you're not only close, but it's also top notch. I was really interested in a Norge, but no service around. I've seen Grisos up close and they are beautiful. After buying the FZ09, I'd have a real issue with the mother goose weight and top heaviness. Again, personal choice, but by far, one of the better ones out there.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I really wanted a Ballabio when I saw one in person almost 10 years ago. No photo can do the paint justice. It had the most striking red I think I'd ever seen. I had the money and the desire to won one. But, I had to pass.

moto-guzzi-ballabio.jpg

The deal breaker was when the salesman proudly announced it'd "run right up to 110mph in no time."
The way he said it implied they'd actually ridden the bike already and flogged it without a.) letting it warm up and b.) breaking it in properly. The bike had like 5 miles on it. So, I asked and he said they'd run it up and down the side street several times for fun on their lunch breaks, etc...
My friend's repair-only shop was about 2 minutes away. So, I went down there and asked him. "Yea, those idiots have been running those I-talian bikes up and down the street all week."
The place now sells campers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I really like the V7 line. Light, shaft drive, and HUGE range. Closest dealer to me is 3 hours away so I wrote it off.

Remember, "Moto Guzzi.............turning riders into road side mechanics for XX years!" :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the opinions and information. That's great to know that one of their best shops is local for me! I wish they still had the matte green with brown leather seat...the red is okay...but probably the slowest color. :cool:

·
Registered
768 Posts
The V7's have almost 6 gallons of fuel capacity! Geez!
A coworker had a Breva 750 and loved it.
She accidentally ran it low on oil near the end of a 4,400 mile trip and toasted a bearing.
Her husband bought a shop manual and overhauled it in their backyard workshop. =)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the opinions and information. That's great to know that one of their best shops is local for me! I wish they still had the matte green with brown leather seat...the red is okay...but probably the slowest color. :cool:
Give them a call, they may be able to get a matte green for you.

Paul

·
Registered
241 Posts
for the record, I love MG, I think the stelvio is super cool, as is the v7 racer. my buddy has a griso and loves it. Heres the one caveat: mg is owned by piaggio (vespa, aprilia, ect) parts availablility can be a nightmare with piaggio group, i'm not saying in every case it is, but it can be. I worked as a scooter mechanic and I serviced a lot of vespa and piaggio scooters, parts where almost always expensive and took an incredibly long time to make their way here from italy. My buddy with the griso also has some parts hes been waiting on for a while, something like 5 weeks and counting, he goes through gp motorcycles in san diego ( a great dealer, this is where I bought my futura) but the best dealer in the world cant force piaggio to produce and send parts out quicker.
I don't want all this to get you down, my buddy loves his griso, despite issues with parts, MGs are sexy looking italian machines that ooze character, and you will always stand out from the crowd

1 - 17 of 17 Posts