Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My throttle cables are shot. After installing and shortening up (a lot) my mcgrath low bars, I rerouted my clutch cable and for some reason that has impacted my throttle cables. The problem I have (besides the return spring being 10 times too strong) is that there is a cable rubbing on metal feeling when I rotate the throttle. When I have the throttle completely off, then try to start rotating it on, it jumps on and makes stop lights very sketchy. I either baby the throttle too much and it wants to stall, or I over rev it and make it want to wheelie.

I've had the throttle apart multiple times. When the cables are disconnected, the throttle is extremely smooth (I've greased the tube). When I pull on the cable itself (by grabbing the end and yanking on it by hand) I get that "gritty/rubby" feeling. When I rotate the god-awfully hard to rotate throttle pulley by hand it too is smooth. The gritty feeling is very dependent on cable routing. If I put the main cable on top with respect to how they are routed through the loop connected to the tripples, it's less gritty, but still gritty. Swap them and it gets worse.

I'm going to dump the bars and go with Carmichaels that are not cut as short, so I can go back to stock clutch cable routing. Unfortunate because I really like the riding position.

I also want to replace the throttle cables. My question is, should I go with motion pro cables or stock? Motion pro has a pre-cut set for the FZ. So that seems like a good option. But I just would like to know if anyone has tried them?

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I struck the same thing when I shortened the bars some more. I rerouted the cables, pulled the throttle apart to see if something was binding, etc, etc. I was getting to the spanner throwing stage when I hit on the idea of adjusting the slack adjuster in the cable again. Voila! Problem solved.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that helped a little. I may try to anneal the return spring when I get the new cables. Problem is getting to the darn spring is super hard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts