Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$4,990.

Right in the middle of the CBR and Ninja 300.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
That's seriously low weight. If the motor makes decent power, it looks like Yamaha has another winner.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's seriously low weight. If the motor makes decent power, it looks like Yamaha has another winner.
I think the power is similar to the RC390, though the weight isn't- this one is a tad heavier.

·
Registered
962 Posts
UK site says ABS is standard, but I don't see mention of it on the US site. The Rapid Red is calling me, but it wouldn't make sense when I already have an 09... It would make a sweet little ride to trick out for solo riding though...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Looking good. Yamaha finally fill the empty small entry level bike spot. She's a tad heavy for a small displacement bike but great job Yamaha. After putting few miles over a week not long ago on the FZ07, that would be hard to choose between both. The smooth/meaty mid range of the FZ07 make it a perfect ride for commuting IMO. I'm sure the R3 can get it done too, just need to spin it.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
My only question on the entry level Ninja and the R3, being a beginner bike why bother with with the fairing? It's not a high enough cc bike to do long runs on the highway. Wouldn't it be better to be more of a sport naked and supply frame/fork/axle/bar end sliders. We all know if it's a learner bike, chances are it's going to get dropped. I know the fairing finish off the look of the bikes, but is really practical for a learner first bike, which they are marketing these bikes as???

·
Registered
833 Posts
I think they are going after the demographic that would eventually "upgrade" to the R6 or R1. It will sell just because it is in the "R" family, so it has to look the part. Back in 1989 this type of marketing worked on me. I was 18 and bought a new Ninja 250r. Good bike to learn on, and the girls just saw "Ninja"! A year later, traded it in for a GSXR 750. The girls liked the Ninja better because of the name, but we all know what the funner bike was....

Reactions: Yoyodyne

·
Registered
355 Posts
This is... interesting:

Colin Edwards & Wife introduce the YZF-R3.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It is a good looking bike. I don't really like the looks of the little CBR

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey, with the 35-40hp these things have, all the aerodynamic advantage they can get, the better....

Reactions: mango_sv

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would love one of these or the ninja 300 with 55-60 hp. How do we get it there?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yeah, its 44lbs heavier than the RC390. That is over 10% heavier.
The RC390's claimed dry weight is 323 pounds, the R3 is 368 pounds with all fluids and a full tank (3.7 gallons) of gas. Add fluids and fuel to the RC390 and the difference is probably closer to 25-30 pounds, helped by the fact that the RC390's tank only holds 2.65 gallons.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts