Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
It is Not you, but it's not only MC journalism. Everything's become a business, who's got relationships with who, and who, If anyone, is being totally honest. You've got to read Everything with a gigantic grain of salt.:cool:

Very sad.:(

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is another guy on motorcycle USA that talks like a 16 yr old (he says "like" every 2 seconds) - this was his review of the H2 - it was unwatchable in my opinion.

I do like Ari Henning and Zach Courts at motorcycle magazine and i still subscribe to their actual mag which has good articles and tips but their content on youtube comes out very infrequently and each bike "review" feels more like a puff piece than an actual critique.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
On the More for less shootout....Wassup with the rev limiter check????

More like the start of Supercross than a sport bike road test.

Guess you can do that when it's not your personal bike.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
What that guy said in the first video, that is you rev the GSX-S750 it would leave the FZ-09 behind? Bull crap!!! FZ got more HP, nothing can touch this beast.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't understand the Shiver - is it the carb free version of a Dorsoduro? Granted, the Dorsoduro has upspec suspension and brakes - but even the styling of the Shiver says bland. Other than the Mana - I think the Shiver is the worst thing Aprilia has for sale. The GSX-S750 is a nice bike - but it's a bland parts bin bike that's been for sale in Europe for what - a decade? Why make the GSX-S models alongside the GSF's - pick a version for the "Standard" inline four, not two. I know the GSX-S is a lot cheaper, but that's the same thing that killed the Popular GSXF Katana's - when they tried to sell the RF's alongside them neither one survived. The FZ-09 is the only one that isn't a bland parts bin replica of another model. I wonder why Yamaha didn't learn from the success of the Star Bolt and make an R spec'd version with better brakes and suspension. The FJ is nice - shaft drive might have helped differentiate the models more. When do we get an R9? If we ever do - then I'd want the motor left alone. On the track the R1 styled powerband is useful, but in the rest of the world I'll go faster with the grunt that the FZ-09 already has.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
there is another guy on motorcycle USA that talks like a 16 yr old (he says "like" every 2 seconds) - this was his review of the H2 - it was unwatchable in my opinion.......
+1 he has to be one of the most annoying guys to have to listen to for any bike reviews.

The picture says it all, lol.
Photography Photo caption Camera operator Fictional character Vehicle

But unfortunately, like others have said, you have to take 99.999% of these video reviews with a grain of salt. I think they end up riding so many different bikes that they forget the difference between any of them. I do find the worst batch of video reviews seems to be come out of MotoUSA.com and Motorcycle.com

Now if you need a good laugh to start off your day, just watch the first 26 seconds of this video, lol.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, I am just a bike slut. I know those are not quality, but I guess it is the way my wife gets into those vampire movies that are just so horrible your eyes bleed. You know the production value is low and the bias is guaranteed, plus my grandma knows more about motorcycles than some of these guys... but I just wanna watch it.

The big exception in my opinion is the youtube series "On Two Wheels" with Ari and Zach. It was purchased by Motorcyclist and on hiatus for a while, their latest videos are a little rougher around the edges than they used to be. The older videos had a little better mic quality and sound from within the helmet. I follow both of them on facebook, and they post cool articles and how-tos quite frequently.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
+1 he has to be one of the most annoying guys to have to listen to for any bike reviews.

The picture says it all, lol.
View attachment 16267
hahaha! what a dweeb

The big exception in my opinion is the youtube series "On Two Wheels" with Ari and Zach. It was purchased by Motorcyclist and on hiatus for a while, their latest videos are a little rougher around the edges than they used to be. The older videos had a little better mic quality and sound from within the helmet. I follow both of them on facebook, and they post cool articles and how-tos quite frequently.
Completely agree and they are kick ass racers - Ari kills the 250cc cali circuit with his Honda. I'd watch them any day over the other publications, unfortunately they rarely post stuff.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The written article is better for sure- the video...well, they are just bunch of differently aged men showing how they think- no wonder, Troy liked the FZ best! ;)

I dont know about Ari & Zach- they have got things wrong before and they do have their prejudices. We all do but as journos, I think that needs to be put aside. They are knowledgable and I like reading their articles too...but sometimes, I wish they would do a little more research on the bike they are reviewing- for example, they did not know how to change modes on a Duke 690.

My new favorite reviewer has to be Sean from Revzilla- it was actually having a online conversation with him on one of his reviews that veered me more towards the FZ09. His videos are getting better and he addresses more real issues than other video reviewers.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've learned not to pay any attention to any so called "journalist" that is under 35 years old. These younger guys have an a agenda about buying bikes...and most of it revolves around doing wheelies or showing off. The Brits are the best at evaluating new motorcycles...and I'd say that Don Canet is the best in the USA. If Canet says it handles well.....you can take that to the bank. When a new bike is released I read all the Brit reviews first from older journalists. The Brits favor practical motorcycles that actually work in the category they are in. They don't install knobby tires on a touring bike and then try to explain why it won't do well on a track day....not do they care about stand up wheelies for 2 miles.
These days...you have to do a lot of homework before purchasing a motorcycle.

Reactions: 1duckyboy and beck

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Not sure if agree with all of that....
The old fast bikes magazine (when it was still independent) was all about wheelies, and riding bikes to, and quite often over, the edge. But because they were independent, they were honest reviews. I miss the days of frosty and Jimmi miller, motorcycle killer.

And my brother had a shiver for 80,000 ks as his first non learner bike. Really reliable in the scheme of things, but I thought it was bland. Not so good it's boring Honda bland, just okay at lots of things, but not great at any kind of bland. Sounded awesome with akras. Now has a 2014 tuono.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts