Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the Madstad system but don't like how it poked out front so much. I only had to modify the two upright brackets that go into the base. I deepened the rear notches so the bracket would sit more upright using my dremmel tool.. I trimmed off the excess that hung down below the base knob with my grinder. I then drilled the lower swivel/tilt bolt hole toward the rear about a half inch. This allowed the front to tilt back down to around the original angle that Madstad had. The bracket picture shows the new holes plus original. Now the upright bracket is almost straight up instead of leaning forward and is just under 1/2 inch from the gage. The lower point of the windshield is now farther back and in line with the headlight. This modification has no impact on the fly screen mounting. The front and side views show the new position.

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Vehicle door Hood

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim

Windshield Glass Automotive lighting Headlamp Vehicle

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks great. Any word from Mark regarding updated brackets with this design?
I have mine set in the modified holes. It works best for me. You might be different. Guess it is a chance we all take when we buy windshields. No two riders fit the same. I think I improved the look and gave up nothing as far as function goes. In fact their brackets are some of the best made but a large 22 inch tall screen is quite a sail in the wind and so it did jump around some when cars were disturbing the wind. The problem is the mount not only relies on the hard side mounting bolds but the 4 top bolts that go into plastic. There, it can flex some and that is due to the Yamaha's design. I have added 1 clamp around the handlebar between the bar clamps. Then attached a metal bracket that goes up to the lower right side thumb screw on the base. This added much stability and is hardly noticeable.

here is his Mark's reply on the subject: I have no argument with his position. He makes them and sells them, I don't.
As for the shield sitting too far forward, what the guys on the forum don't understand is that we drove it with the shield farther back, and the system did not work as well. There was more buffeting, more wind noise when the shield was closer in. Especially with the shield in the low position. This is not the first time we've encountered this; the same problem came up on a few other bikes we've done. We also had the tip of the shield touching the headlight housing when set down low, and we don't want that either.

By moving the shield out a bit it may not look as good, but folks are buying it to be comfortable and enjoy their ride more than to just look good. I know that looks are a consideration, and when we first came out with the Harley Road Glide system those guys all said it was ugly, that they didn't want their windshield floating out in front of their fairing. Harley owners are notoriously fussy about appearances. Until a few of them actually tried it, despite how it looks. Now it's our #1 selling system.

I could provide closer-in holes for a second mounting option, but I don't want to cause interference problems with the bottom of the shield and the top of the headlight housing. However I also don't want people complaining that they put it in the closer position and it doesn't work as well, because I've been there, done that. Maybe you will notice this, maybe it's not an issue for you as much as it was for me. Spend some more time with it closer in and let me know what you think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts