Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can be a slow learner, but sometimes that makes new knowledge so powerful. The temperature was an unseasonably warm 64 degrees Fahrenheit early this evening, and I decided an hour on the FZ-09 would put me in a very good mood after a tough day at work. Looking back, it did exactly as intended, but there was something I wanted to investigate. Perhaps this was nothing more than putting two and two together and seeing how things added up, but just the same I wanted to make the attempt.

My FZ-09 odometer shows about 1,068 miles, and most of those miles are from commuting in moderate traffic, normally using mode B. I have used Standard mode a few times but not all that often, and two days ago I rode for about 90 minutes primarily in mode A. The ride was fairly smooth, with some but not a lot of the “snatchiness” that I have attributed to my lack of experience on high powered motorcycles.

Prior to owning my FZ-09, I rode a CBR250R, TU250X, and two maxi-scooters. One of the maxi-scooters is also 250cc. The other was 600cc, but still of rather modest performance. It was pleasant and reliable, but except for having an engine, two wheels, etc., not really comparable to the FZ-09.

Most of the time, riding as a commuter, I emphasize fuel economy, with shifts occurring at low RPMs (i.e. often less than 6,000 RPMs on a 250, less on the FZ-09). This worked fine on most motorcycles, and works fine on the FZ-09 in mode B and for the most part in Standard mode. But gaining a better grasp on mode A was my goal this evening. I wanted to take the next step understanding what’s going on between the FZ-09 and her rider. Information from other FZ-09 owners has helped immensely, but reading isn’t the same as putting others’ words into practice.

My understanding is the FZ-09’s fuel injectors shut off below 4,500 RPM with a closed throttle, receiving some attention "in print" as a source of the previously mentioned “snatchiness.” So I decided to try something that’s likely routine to experienced sport bike riders but outside of my typical riding style. This was something I would not have been comfortable attempting in the first couple hundred miles on a motorcycle with 90 or so horsepower more than my previous ride. But now with a greater comfort level riding the FZ-09, I decided the time had come.

For this ride, I would attempt to use mode A and keep my RPMs above 5,000 for all shifts and see what difference I might observe, testing the thought that the 4,500 RPM injector cutoff about which I had read, coupled with mode A's lower throttle rotation, worked against my quest for smooth shifts. Still in mode B, I rode to the start of a highway ramp a few miles from home and put the plan, simple as it may have been, in motion.

Setting mode A and launching smoothly in 1st gear on a highway ramp, the RPMs climbed higher than I had ever previously allowed, although this was based on the engine’s sound. I was looking ahead, not down. Soon enough, time for 2nd gear… and the shift… and immediately back on the throttle. That was… awe-e-e-some, and every bit as smooth as low RPM shifts in mode B. Could it be?

Now for 3rd gear… and moments later the same pleasant result. And 4th, but I’m now a bit concerned there might be a state trooper nearby; there wasn’t, but I’m still not looking at the LCD though certain my speed was above the posted limit. I reminded myself, “OK rider, this is about mode A acceleration and shifting, not speeding, so back down some.” But still, 5th gear and 6th gear were much like the lower 4, providing a most satisfying mode A riding experience.

I repeated the process several more times before calling it a night, believing the FZ-09 and I had taken the next step together. Although I have never doubted FZ-09 riders who have mentioned this, and thought I was “doing it right” each time, I received a lesson on why an FZ-09 rider leans forward under hard acceleration. Up came the front wheel for the first time in my experience. This wheelie, perhaps no more than an inch or so off the pavement (I’ll never know for sure), turned out harmless but unexpectedly exhilarating. And it represents another notice that the FZ-09 is far less tolerant of errors than any motorcycle I have owned.

Riding home through town, I switched to mode B and resumed my customary commuter style riding, back into “Clark Kent” mode. As expected, everything was smooth as ever shifting at low RPMs. Now I really want to go out again and repeat the whole process, but rain and possibly snow have moved in for the next couple of days. Pleased beyond any expectation I held less than two months ago on purchase day, I continue to be amazed by this motorcycle. Mode A rocks, but I find the other modes equally valuable.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Actually the injectors are always off on decel. They turn back on at around 4K RPM but very lean... like just enough fuel to keep the engine running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually the injectors are always off on decel. They turn back on at around 4K RPM but very lean... like just enough fuel to keep the engine running.
Thanks, marthy. Makes perfect sense; the injectors couldn't stay off or the engine would stall. Learning and retaining a fraction of the information you and others provide on this forum is a challenge.

·
Banned
161 Posts
You're definitely thinking way too hard...

Just ride the damn thing. And stop using B mode thats for when it rains.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
877 Posts
Interestingly enough, I hadn't noticed any throttle problem when riding the bike, prior to reading about it.

·
Banned
161 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
You're definitely thinking way too hard...

Just ride the damn thing. And stop using B mode thats for when it rains.
I quite like B mode, really great for heavy traffic and just starting a ride, getting the old reflexes warmed up, and at the end of the ride when the hands are tired and cold (at least this time of year).

You know what?...the one nice thing of this corner of the internet, is everyone is generally respectful and courteous, sort of like the people I interact with in real life. And then there is you, being judgmental and demeaning to perfect strangers...what gives?
People are here on this forum to learn more about our FZ's, stay current with new trends, and swap war stories...not to be jack a$$es. This is just my opinion, but I am sure there are other who would agree with me.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I hope you saw how I referred to him on eolith's post. It reminds me that nobody likes a smartass, and I need to keep myself in check. I am thankful for pricks like that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like B mode aswell, I find it much easier to deploy the MT-09's torque without the front coming up, much easier for slow speed maneuvering :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I tried to be nice, but he's too self-involved to recognize it, so I put him on the ignore list. This forum is fantastic, everyone is respectful, despite having different opinions, and this place has an excellent vibe and I'm not going to let someone like him ruin it.

I am a little concerned about the sudden engagement in Standard. Maybe half the issue is I've only used it when I've forgotten and pulled out of the gas station (or wherever) thinking I'm in B-mode and I get surprised. Now that I've gotten the hang of immediately shifting into B-mode, it's not such a factor, but early on... In fact, i started it up at the tow-yard where it was waiting to go to the shop, and I shifted it to B-mode without thinking, even though I (obviously) wasn't going to ride anywhere.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Mostly STD here unless I am in traffic, then B only as a last resort. A, when I play. If I am accustomed to STD, then I have better throttle control all the time. It does not feel jerky unless I am on off on off, lower gears solve that.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts

Yeah, this was the first attempt at smoothing things out: eliminating the fuel cut on decel. It works very well and somewhat reduces engine braking. There is still some snatchiness in low RPM, but that is a work in progress...and the focus of much more development. I'm finally set up to bench flash this particular ECU, so let the good times roll (when the roads are clear:rolleyes:).

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I think you should ship me your ECU so I can get it ready for you. LoL

·
Registered
46 Posts
I want to thank Stoltec Moto and Marthy for keeping us informed on all the research on ECU and suspension issues. I feel like I'm being kept in the loop on the 09's problems and solutions, as the research is being done which is very enlightening for me. Actually, all the input from members is helping with the two issues that keep this motorcycle from being prefect. It seems Yamaha could have done a little better with the fueling and suspension. I definitely would have paid more to have these problems solved before release of this bike, but the after market companies are going to love this motorcycle. Are you listening Yamaha? If you are please build an adventure bike with this motor and keep it light weight.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I think you should ship me your ECU so I can get it ready for you. LoL

If I send the ECU, I'm sending the whole bike....and I'll be following it down on a plane for 'off season testing'.

I want to thank Stoltec Moto and Marthy for keeping us informed on all the research on ECU and suspension issues. I feel like I'm being kept in the loop on the 09's problems and solutions, as the research is being done which is very enlightening for me. Actually, all the input from members is helping with the two issues that keep this motorcycle from being prefect. It seems Yamaha could have done a little better with the fueling and suspension. I definitely would have paid more to have these problems solved before release of this bike, but the after market companies are going to love this motorcycle. Are you listening Yamaha? If you are please build an adventure bike with this motor and keep it light weight.
Happy to contribute....it's fun on this end...minus the other parts of running the business, lol;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts