Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have had mixed feelings on the Madstad system. I had a feeling it would need a little modification by viewing the pics so I just ordered the base unit. It fits good but flex left a little to be desired.

First, I am an Asst. Engineer in the Semiconductor field so I have a good working knowledge of mechanical design. Second, I have access to a full machine shop. Third, I have the Madstad V-strom brackets laying around plus 2 V-Strom windscreens. What's a boy to do?

Currently building a one-off set for my Fizzer so I can mount any V-Strom screen to the bike. Plates and standoffs are roughed in already and now need to beef up that Madstad base unit. I will post pics when I get that complete in the next couple of days.

Don

·
Registered
582 Posts
not sure how big a windshield Rwilkinson you are using, mine is quite tall at 22 inches (starts 4 inches above headlight). works great.

The weak link for tall shields is the top 4 bolts. They screw into nuts with rubber tires around them and expand against the plastic loops at the top of the headlight and the side marker mounts in the rear. I have fabricated spacers and use short bolts with large washers coming up from the bottom. Held in place with duct tape so I could insert my spacer, the Madstad base brakets and put a washer and nut on the top. This took about 85% of the flex out of the top. I then added a bracket that went under the gage from the center of the bars to the right rear thumb screw. this finished the stiffening to where I was satisfied

1 - 3 of 3 Posts