Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yamaha FZ-09 | DOIN? TIME | Motorcyclist

I think this is probably the best article out by Ari and his long term FZ09 project and i'm sure it will spark healthy debate.

Net, even with dumping ~$2k into the 09 improving the suspension, fueling and brakes, they feel the Street Triple R beats the modded 09 for around the same price. The obvious 09 advantage in the engine.

Never ridden the STR and the dealership network here sucks so not sure it would have changed my decision but an interesting read none the less.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Very interesting. I've been wanting to take out a ST3 for a test ride. Especially on the back twisty roads around here.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I notice it doesn't say what suspension mods.
It does say $2081 in total mods.
Must not have went with upper end cartridges and shock.

Would they make up the handling differences?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont know what he did for the front but i believe the rear was just a ZX6R shock.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The next comparison Ari needs to make is substituting the FJ for the FZ in the same article referenced above in Beck's post.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i dont know what he did for the front but i believe the rear was just a ZX6R shock.
he started with those, but eventually wound up with a stoltec revalve and penske double clicker (it was in a past article).

it's really no surprise that he found the str to be more agile, since it's a little lighter, has a shorter wheelbase and steeper steering geometry.

someone in the comments wondered about the 2014 vs. '15 reflash. flash-tune recently made the mt-09 abs flash file available for download, and as it turns out it has the revised '15 ycc-t throttle maps. i flashed '15 'std' to my bike ('a' mode is unchanged, and 'b' mode is very slightly softened), and it's a noticeable improvement over the '14. if yamaha had released the 09 with these maps from the beginning, there wouldn't have been as many complaints about snatchy throttle.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There are a bunch of articles on what they did to the 09 over time, I thought they went with new fork springs and just different fork oil at one time. I can't say for sure if they went with a full fork kit at any point, I'd have to read through all the articles again.

Search: fz-09 | Motorcyclist

I must agree with one major factor, the dealership network around here sucks big time. The only dealer is a true stealership and I hate dealing with those guys. I'd rather order something online and have to wait for it to show up before I would step foot in that place, lol.

And the price difference here is $2,600.00 more for the Street Triple R. Which is really $2,730 more just with the added tax for the price difference.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
What a horrible comparison by Ari.. He's comparing an 'R' version against a non 'R' version competitor. True, FZ-09 does not have an 'R' version... yet! But why compare apples and oranges? Plus Triumph offers (2) 'R' Versions and (2) non-'R' version street triple's. On top of that, the top of the line Triple 'R' with Ohlins suspension has an MSRP $14,699.00. This comparison is just pure BS.

If it where me doing a comparison it would be as follows

Base models: Bone stock FZ-09 vs Bone Stock Street Triple (KYB suspension ; MSRP $9,399.00)

Performance Models: Stock FZ-09 (Ohlins suspension ; updated ECU flash) vs Stock Street Triple R (Ohlins suspension ; MSRP $14,699.00)

Sure, the Ohlins on the FZ-09 is not stock, but until Yamaha released an 'R' version, thats the only way to have a close match.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
the street triple r's msrp is $10399. it's the speed triple r that's $14699.
Thank you Bobby,, totally misread that..

but even then, a $2k suspension upgrade on the FZ09 will get you better components then the OEM KYB offering for the Street Triple R.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I like the idea of this article. Really shines light on a lot of things. But for a lot of us there's really no alternative than the Yamaha, because many of us simply cannot afford to deal with the frequent expensive maintenance and questionable reliability of a European built bike. Until other Japanese manufacturers decide they want in on this market segment, I really don't see anything capable of competing--for my dollar, anyway--with the FZ09.

·
Registered
241 Posts
while I prefer Yamaha for its reliability and pricing, I think the Street triple is a cool bike and I can see why it has so many loyal followers! A three cylinder motor is tons of fun, they are both great bikes!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
while I prefer Yamaha for its reliability and pricing, I think the Street triple is a cool bike and I can see why it has so many loyal followers! A three cylinder motor is tons of fun, they are both great bikes!
your totally right, but ever since the FZ-09 came out, the ST guys have been trying to pick apart all its flaws in sad attempt to prove the world their beloved ST is best of the 2. But at the end of the day, an $8k FZ-09 with $2k suspension will out run and outperform the $10k (technically $10.4k) Street triple with engine and suspension. Anyone looking for the perfect bike out of the box has not ridden enough bikes to realize such a thing does not exist. Every bike must be tailored to its rider before its true performance can be realized.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yamaha FZ-09 | DOIN? TIME | Motorcyclist

I think this is probably the best article out by Ari and his long term FZ09 project and i'm sure it will spark healthy debate.

Net, even with dumping ~$2k into the 09 improving the suspension, fueling and brakes, they feel the Street Triple R beats the modded 09 for around the same price. The obvious 09 advantage in the engine.

Never ridden the STR and the dealership network here sucks so not sure it would have changed my decision but an interesting read none the less.
I can't tell you how many "standard" {read cheap} motorcycles I have bought and modded and TRIED to make them fuel and more importantly HANDLE really well. It's called "trying to polish a turd" because that is exactly what it is. People like me do this for two reasons. Not enough money to buy a real weapon to start with.....and because I have a lot of free time and like to tinker. Cheap bikes are turds because they come with cheap components. Cheap forks...cheap rims...cheap shocks...antique motor technology, and cheap frames all make for a real nice turd to spend a fortune on trying to make it run, stop, and handle like a Moto GP bike. The more horsepower the turd has...the more money it will take to turn it into a legitimate weapon.
The FZ09 has a great motor. No debate there. Unfortunately all the rest of it is a huge turd. The fueling is crap...the forks are junk and need thrown away...the rear shock is junk...and the brake system is marginal. The high horsepower and massive torque of the FZ09 overwhelms the entire chassis when pushed. To fix or "polish" all that takes 4k to do it right. This is what Ari Henning found out.
Now before everyone sends me nasty E-Mails...I think the FZ09 was the best bargain out there for $7900.00. But as everyone knows...it costs another $1k minimum just to make it rideable and safe. So now an FZ09 really costs $8900.00. before taxes etc. Is it still a bargain at $8900.00 ?? That's up to each person to decide.
All of the above is why I bought the FZ07 instead. After I read about the fueling problems...cheap forks..cheap shock...etc...I knew I didn't want it. The HP and Torque overwhelm the chassis....and all the magazines said it had a "jerky throttle". Not just one or two magazines said that. They ALL said that. Anybody that likes to ride the corners fast shy away from bikes with a "jerky throttle". Sorry...it's not for me.
From what I read now....it seems the FJ09 is a much better bike. Fueling problems 95% fixed...better damping on both ends...and made for Sport Touring. I may have bought the FJ09 instead of the FZ07 but I'm still glad I didn't. Not for $10,400 I wouldn't.
So my opinion is that the FZ09 is a bargain basement bike with a great motor. The Street Triple has about the same horsepower,.. but stops better...handles better STOCK, retains value better. You have to pay ...to play. More horsepower
shouldn't be the way you choose what motorcycle to buy.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I can't tell you how many "standard" {read cheap} motorcycles I have bought and modded and TRIED to make them fuel and more importantly HANDLE really well. It's called "trying to polish a turd" because that is exactly what it is. People like me do this for two reasons. Not enough money to buy a real weapon to start with.....and because I have a lot of free time and like to tinker. Cheap bikes are turds because they come with cheap components. Cheap forks...cheap rims...cheap shocks...antique motor technology, and cheap frames all make for a real nice turd to spend a fortune on trying to make it run, stop, and handle like a Moto GP bike. The more horsepower the turd has...the more money it will take to turn it into a legitimate weapon.
The FZ09 has a great motor. No debate there. Unfortunately all the rest of it is a huge turd. The fueling is crap...the forks are junk and need thrown away...the rear shock is junk...and the brake system is marginal. The high horsepower and massive torque of the FZ09 overwhelms the entire chassis when pushed. To fix or "polish" all that takes 4k to do it right. This is what Ari Henning found out.
Now before everyone sends me nasty E-Mails...I think the FZ09 was the best bargain out there for $7900.00. But as everyone knows...it costs another $1k minimum just to make it rideable and safe. So now an FZ09 really costs $8900.00. before taxes etc. Is it still a bargain at $8900.00 ?? That's up to each person to decide.
All of the above is why I bought the FZ07 instead. After I read about the fueling problems...cheap forks..cheap shock...etc...I knew I didn't want it. The HP and Torque overwhelm the chassis....and all the magazines said it had a "jerky throttle". Not just one or two magazines said that. They ALL said that. Anybody that likes to ride the corners fast shy away from bikes with a "jerky throttle". Sorry...it's not for me.
From what I read now....it seems the FJ09 is a much better bike. Fueling problems 95% fixed...better damping on both ends...and made for Sport Touring. I may have bought the FJ09 instead of the FZ07 but I'm still glad I didn't. Not for $10,400 I wouldn't.
So my opinion is that the FZ09 is a bargain basement bike with a great motor. The Street Triple has about the same horsepower,.. but stops better...handles better STOCK, retains value better. You have to pay ...to play. More horsepower
shouldn't be the way you choose what motorcycle to buy.
By your logic, the FZ-07 is a stinkier turd then the FZ-09. FZ-07 had all the same issues as the FZ-09, shit suspension, fuel, brakes.. except the build quality on the FZ-07 is worse since its built for southeast Asia. Strip one down next to an FZ-09 and you'll see what I mean. Not trying to dis your bike, I know exactly what your point was. Aside from the suspension, the FZ-09 issues are pretty much resolved. So all a new FZ-09 owner really needs to consider is suspension upgrade. Everything else is optional.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I can't tell you how many "standard" {read cheap} motorcycles I have bought and modded and TRIED to make them fuel and more importantly HANDLE really well. It's called "trying to polish a turd" because that is exactly what it is. People like me do this for two reasons. Not enough money to buy a real weapon to start with.....and because I have a lot of free time and like to tinker. Cheap bikes are turds because they come with cheap components. Cheap forks...cheap rims...cheap shocks...antique motor technology, and cheap frames all make for a real nice turd to spend a fortune on trying to make it run, stop, and handle like a Moto GP bike.
says the guy with the $10500 fz-07....

·
Registered
391 Posts
The 8 horsepower difference is not felt as much as the whopping 14 lbs of torque which come in sooner. I love Triumphs; cool bikes, very nice fit and finish but as hard as the salesman at the dealer tried to steer me that way, bang for buck I'll take the FZ and some personalization any day. Easy decision for me anyway.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
says the guy with the $10500 fz-07....
these are his specs in signature..

2015 FZ07 Mods > Traxxion Dynamics AK20's with 8.5k springs.....Traxxion Dynamics revalved and resprung stock shock...Evotech Rad guard..Evotech rear axle sliders...Evotech front axle sliders ...Rizoma frame sliders....Akrapovic Titanium exhaust....Bridgestone BT 016 Pro tires...Givi windscreen...Driven hand grips....Emgo turn signals.....Chinese Bar end mirrors...Nelson Rigg tailbag. $10,499.00 total....so far.

All very nice premium add-ons.. except.. 'Chinese Bar end mirrors'.. CD599, why did you go cheap on the mirrors?

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
391 Posts
CD loves to stir the pot, but seems to usually stay within the range of reasonable debate. Memories of the FZ1 forum...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only triumph dealer here sucked - they went out of business 2 years ago - the closest one now is over 50 miles away from me. Before i bought the fZ i checked the inventory of the 3 closest dealers - they had plenty of Speed Triples in stock but no Street Triples. Given it's often reviewed and talked about i was surprised by that. I called 2 of the 3 dealerships asking if they were getting any in anytime soon - they both said they had no idea. That made it a much easier decision for me to more strongly consider the FZ when I was looking.

I think these magazine editors are supposed to be overly critical - that's what they get paid to do - and to Ari's defense he does write at the end that if he had to do it over again - he'd still have the FZ, but i think it's a fair comment to say the 09 out of the box needs some work for most riders and some of those riders simply don't want to do that.

I've never really modded anything - so this was an experience for me and i've learned a lot along the way - although to be honest - i paid a suspension tech to set up my rear shock vs. doing it myself which was the biggest purchase i've done so far on my bike.

Also, if you're talking about resale (which a lot of guys seem to have done) - I'm not an expert but based on what i've seen - if you have the 2 bikes:

1. STR - bone stock $10k
2. FZ with mods $10k

You'll probably get more money selling your STR than a modded FZ. Seems guys are dumping $2k or more into their FZs and they are lucky to get sticker price back on it vs. i've seen some used STRs going for more than $8,500 on Ebay.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts