Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YO.

Picked up a '15 last week and as I was fiddling with it yesterday, I noticed that the shaft that holds the swingarm onto the frame had no nut on the end of it...

http://forumfoundrycdn.com/nickj/moto/yamaha/fz09/1RC4%261RC5_2014_parts_catalogue.pdf

Pages 34 & 35, parts 4,5 and 47 seem to be missing. Cover, Oil Seal and Nut, Self-Locking. It that exploded view(fig 23), it doesn't seem to show the bracket that holds the foot peg that actually goes inbound of those three parts(#26 from page 51/the silver plate pictured below) in that whole equation, but those three parts sit inside of it.

I looked up the nut part number and figured out that it is an M14x1.5. I called the dealership and had them order those three parts, which they said would be a week to get. Then at lunch, I made a suitable replacement nut as I sure ain't letting it sit for a week but I also don't want the back end to fall off.

I also made a 1/8" thick delrin spacer that goes behind it so as not to mar up the surface and zip tied the nut so it cannot unthread itself.

Now, can anybody come up with a plausible explanation as to why/how this could have come off after 5 days? I mean, it is a pretty important part that could lead to catastrophic results should that shaft wiggle out... I would have expected this to be a pretty bullet proof part that should not be working its way off. Also, why is there an oil seal?

Cheers dudes!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That sucks man. I pretty sure the experienced members will chime in pretty soon, but meanwhile go over the introduction section and post a thread so we can all get to know you. ;)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Now, can anybody come up with a plausible explanation as to why/how this could have come off after 5 days? I mean, it is a pretty important part that could lead to catastrophic results should that shaft wiggle out... I would have expected this to be a pretty bullet proof part that should not be working its way off. Also, why is there an oil seal?
I know that on my recently sold SV I had white validation paint marks on all critical bolts, including the rear swingarm bolt. Basically it said that those bolts were checked for correct torque. Do you see any validation marks...say on the front forks? The seal is probably a dust/grease seal, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The CB500X I had previously was marked like you speak of, but I don't see any on this Yamaha. My guess is that it was put on my hand, but never actually tightened down, thus the safety part of the nut wasn't engaged. The ride before I noticed it I briefly heard a rattling sound around 4000rpm for about 5-10 minutes and then it disappeared. It could have been that cover rattling around, but I am just speculating. I happened to notice it was gone by pure accident, so I do not know when it came off. I do see scuff marks behind where the seal goes, so it looks like there at least was one there at some point.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
you can't tell from the parts fiche, but the cover and oil seal (parts 4 and 5) are actually behind the footpeg bracket, so you're only missing the nut. although you may want to remove the footpeg bracket just to make sure the cover and seal haven't fallen off.

from the service manual:

the oil seal (the serrated thing) sits on the swingarm pivot, the cover goes up against it, and the footpeg bracket butts up against the cover. the nut then holds everything together.

the nut is torqued to 80 ft-lbs and is a self-locking nut, so i can't imagine it working itself loose easily. maybe it wasn't torqued down correctly from the factory or was missing altogether.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I suspect it was not installed properly and I would demand that the dealership replace the parts under warranty.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Can anybody tell me the socket size for this nut? Is it 22mm?

Hey motomania, do you work at Specialized?
Nope, don't work at specialized.

I would have to check the size for the nut. I suspect it is 21 or 22 mm. I can tell you when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I hate it when my shaft is missing a nut or two.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'd say Yamaha QC messed up big time, and the dealer should have caught it as well.

The dealer should fix everything under warranty and go over the bike with a fine toothed comb to make sure everything else is ok.

If it was my brand new bike, more than the dealer would hear about it, but that's just me, lol.

Contact Us

Star Motorcycles Contact Us

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Sales, marketing and distribution of Star Motorcycles.

Star Motorcycles Customer Relations
(800) 656-7695

For questions about your Yamaha Credit Account:

Yamaha Card Customer Relations
(800) 252-5265

Yamaha Installment Customer Relations
(877) 314-1507

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Measured the swingarm pivot nut and it is 19mm

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Measured the swingarm pivot nut and it is 19mm
Cool thanks, I got a SS nylock nut off McMaster until the real one shows up and it used a 22. Is there any washer or anything behind it? The other side seems to have a thin shim behind it that also bends around at a 90degree angle to take the force of the turning bolt head. The dealership just did the 600mile service and said everything else was all good.

I used to work in the cycling industry and went to Specialized for a week. The day I was to leave I had 4 hours to kill until my uncle picked my up for a visit. I asked the lady at the hotel front desk if there was anything to do in town, for example, a coffee shop, movie theater, anything... She told me there was a Walmart across the street... So I spent 4 hours roaming Walmart and playing a fighter jet demo on the stores PS3. I did like the Cougar Jazz Bar that used to be there though. Sick dh riding out at Fort Ord too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts