Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Novice question but when miss shift 2nd gear in full rpm in first gear, what to do to avoid bang when shift in 2nd gear after hit neutral, match rev and slowly engage gear?

It happen only 2 X and can it have damaged anything because the clunk noise when shit in 2nd gear after hit neural was very loud but the bike shift normal after it happened?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Maybe your not fully engaging second gear. Have you adjusted your shift lever to your riding boots?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im canadian, sorry for my bad english!!!

All was adjusted correctly, simply hit neutral on hard acceleration, can i broke something, all seem ok and shift normal after it happens?

·
Banned
486 Posts
im a noob that makes the same mistake a lot

my bike however has never seen the limiter

I know it is rider error and not the bikes fault but the bikes torque thrusts me in the back of the seat so im not able to upshift hard enough

·
Registered
806 Posts
You should be OK brother unless it's still making noise I wouldn't worry about it. I've done this before just let off the throttle and don't let the clutch out till the rpm. Come back down.Then shift to second if you hit the rev limiter that's why its there so you don't blow the motor.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to try and adjust your shift lever just a little more down, this will help with a more positive up shift so you don't hit neutral. Plus the 09 has so much torque there is really no need to max out the rpm's before shifting. Cut back on the top rpm's in first gear a bit and it will still pull hard in second gear. The 09 doesn't need to run at max rpm's to be happy, it's light weight and ample torque give it a wide powerband. It's not like a screaming in-line 4 cylinder that needs to be always run in the upper rpm range to keep going.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
289 Posts
You should be OK brother unless it's still making noise I wouldn't worry about it. I've done this before just let off the throttle and don't let the clutch out till the rpm. Come back down.Then shift to second if you hit the rev limiter that's why its there so you don't blow the motor.
I agree with most of this except the "Come back down"

You should get in the habit of always shifting up after a miss-shift, not down.
After many years on a high compression V-twin this mantra is even more important.

That is of course, unless you like to back it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Years ago on my r1 this happened once or twice. To avoid any odd things happening I would roll to a stop then shift, but bikes may have changed in the last 14 years so maybe just a upshift at a slower speed.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I never gun it in first gear, asking for trouble. As long as you have enough slack in your chain and don't do it on a regular basis, you are fine.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
im a noob that makes the same mistake a lot

my bike however has never seen the limiter

I know it is rider error and not the bikes fault but the bikes torque thrusts me in the back of the seat so im not able to upshift hard enough
It has been my experience that when I rider has many missed shifts, usually the shifter and/or the clutch lever is not adjusted properly. Usually nothing is wrong with technique it is merely the levers being misadjusted for that rider.

To the OP, missing shifts can damage the sift dogs and shift forks in the transmission. Usually doesn't but it can so it is best to avoid missed shifts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts