1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I pull in my elbows which barely works, but I'm definitely a guy that likes to see the traffic behind me. Marthy's looks stock to me, unless I'm missing something. You're referring to this post, right?
Oh crap, are they stock? lol I guess the angle got me. Oops!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good point - yes, the right hand mirror is left hand threaded. The jam nut has a groove around it to distinguish it from a regular nut - and I just tested it.

Reactions: cjhorton

·
Registered
354 Posts
I can use it as stock but extensions would help.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I realize that some mirror placement can be really bad, an I have not been on the 09 so take this with a grain of salt. As far as I can tell most people, including myself up until a couple years ago, don't set their mirrors up correctly. The mirrors should be setup to give you full view of the lane next to you. I test this by setting up a cone approximately 8 feet to the right and the left of the center of the bike and 5 feet behind the rear tire. If you view the mirror in thirds, 1st third closest to you, I adjust the mirror until the cone is in the middle of the 1st third. This should give you a great view a car that is directly behind you but in the lane beside you. An additional benefit of that should give you a reasonable if not great view to a car behind you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought some mirror extenders for my FZ-09. They work great.They rise high enough to clear the switches and extend out enough to improve the view. Bought them on Amazon. Search for "yamaha mirror extension". LuckyBike sells a right hand bolt and a left hand bolt. Get one of each.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got to wear a thinner jacket today (75F) to test the mirror extenders, and they do help you get to see who is behind you in your lane. So that will do for that mod.
Here's what I did. No left hand right hand worries - all right hand threads.
If those up and out risers clear the start switch, they would probably be better.

Reactions: ak_rr

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would like to see behind me without doing that owl trick and mirror extenders seem to be the ticket
https://www.google.com/search?q=yam...6uyAH7q4H4BA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1584&bih=798

Has anyone looked at these yet???
I'm not sure the simple ones will work because of the new start switch.
I wonder if these would work???
Yamaha Mirror Riser Extender XT 1200 Z Super Tenere | eBay

Those are what I have - but I got mine for $10. I'd like to just get a longer threaded rod for the stem - it would look cleaner. My view is much better with these extenders, and they don't get in the way - but the look is kind of cheesy...

20140118_210504.jpg

·
Registered
350 Posts
Geez, compared to most sport bikes, I think the mirrors on 09 are pretty good. Funny how we rave about a light-weight bike and then start adding stuff to it...anybody thinking about long leather tassels on the end of the handle bars?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Geez, compared to most sport bikes, I think the mirrors on 09 are pretty good. Funny how we rave about a light-weight bike and then start adding stuff to it...anybody thinking about long leather tassels on the end of the handle bars?
Keep in mind that there are alot of guys here on the board that are using it for other than a hooligan bike, some guys are trying to turn it into a lightning quick sport touring bike...bigger windshields, heated grips, etc.
The cool thing about the FZ is that its such a great canvas for doing whatever you want with it...it probably will be a one of the epic cult bikes of all time for that reason.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah, I get that. But all bikes are compromises and not suited for all things. So light bikes mean things are left off, and I find it puzzling that some wish it had abs, or better luggage options, or a thicker seat and was better at two-up riding. This is a raw hooligan bike and although you can turn it into a commuter that is a hoot to ride, you should probably look somewhere else if you don't want that. And it is not a good first or second bike.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yeah, I get that. But all bikes are compromises and not suited for all things. So light bikes mean things are left off, and I find it puzzling that some wish it had abs, or better luggage options, or a thicker seat and was better at two-up riding. This is a raw hooligan bike and although you can turn it into a commuter that is a hoot to ride, you should probably look somewhere else if you don't want that. And it is not a good first or second bike.
Oh really - anyone wanting to use this machine differently than you should look elsewhere? Bwahaha!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
2nd bike...i use it for commuting...i use it for canyon runs...i use it for visiting friends...I use it to go long distances when i need to. Only thing i think it is really bad at is for 2 up. Everything else it's pretty good at. The lack of wind protection isn't a big deal to me...because thats what i have a car for.

I seem to recall a quote:

I agree that a top rack spoils the look but I will still get one. I commute on my bikes and hard luggage is a must for me. I will wait to see what the motech rack looks like before I buy the OEM rack though. I expect it to be cheaper and better.
I thought you couldn't use this bike for anything but hooligan riding?

My apologies, but your posts really started to rub me the wrong way like you had forgotten that not everybody has the same views as you. This bike was made for modding and i love seeing what other people are coming up with.

I think its a little rude to attack them. If you don't like it or don't agree keep it to yourself unless they are in danger or are putting someone else in danger.

my .02

·
Registered
350 Posts
Zloikish,

Valid criticism of my recent postings, you are right. Good lesson. Will think a bit more prior to posting.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm a big fan of bar end mirrors, it takes a little bit to retrain your eyes to the new location but the view is so much better for me.

Reactions: beck
1 - 20 of 36 Posts