Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone is getting on a tank of fuel? My fuel indicator shows I'm empty at a little over 100 miles which I find ridiculous as I know it's still got over a gal left in the tank. I'm also seeing that stated average MPGs are around 43 so I should be a long ways from empty still at 100 miles.
Also, I'm wondering is there a low fuel light that kicks on once you're really close?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I fuel up at around 110. I've gone to 137 miles before but I wasn't very comfortable...

·
Registered
987 Posts
110ish, your fuel trip meter will come on when near empty.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the vcyclenut flash and usually am pretty heavy handed with the throttle. At just over 100 I'm on the last bar of the fuel meter. another 10 and it starts blinking. I wish we had a similar tank to the FJ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Katoom! I'm also in Utah. Park City area. Anyways, I'm usually averaging about 130mi/tank. Depending on how heavy I am on the throttle. I finally saw another Niner that wasn't mine yesterday. It was a blazing orange on 12300 south heading west, was that you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ran 15 mi on the reserve yesterday 163 mi total 3.2 gal to fill up. I run in B mode most mornings because of the deer population / weather / road conditions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Katoom! I'm also in Utah. Park City area. Anyways, I'm usually averaging about 130mi/tank. Depending on how heavy I am on the throttle. I finally saw another Niner that wasn't mine yesterday. It was a blazing orange on 12300 south heading west, was that you?
Not yesterday, must have been some other very lucky dude!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Before my exhaust and flash, I could get 150mi before the F-trip.

I will know Friday exactly what it is post flash/exhaust...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Variables like which mode is run, which ECU flash, type of road (hwy, twisties, town, etc.) and driver wrist action make mileage hard to gauge. More details as to what type of riding was done when quoting mileage per tank would be useful.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For me it was just city/hwy driving with the occasional hard launch :) . For the most part though fairly easy riding, my concern is that I hit 1 bar and had only run about 105 miles or so. To me that just seems like either this thing is guzzling fuel or something is wrong with the gauge or sending unit?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
When you hit one bar you're still not on reserve. When the bar flashes, then you're on reserve and it will start counting the miles traveled on reserve. Sorry, don't know how much reserve is.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I usually hit about 122 miles when the F-trip displays

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Average for me is approx 100 miles and I'm checking on the next available fuel, but then again, I'm not cherishing the thought of riding on the back of my wife's FZ07 and going to get gas either. I've had several times where it was as low as approx. 80 miles, but that is in A mode and pushing it pretty hard through the mountains.

I like to think in terms of...........SPG..........Smiles Per Gallon!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, just filled up after about 5 miles of last bar flashing. It took 2.7gal to fill so I had an entire gal of fuel left, seems a little early to be sounding "empty" alarm bells.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Just wondering what everyone is getting on a tank of fuel? My fuel indicator shows I'm empty at a little over 100 miles which I find ridiculous as I know it's still got over a gal left in the tank. I'm also seeing that stated average MPGs are around 43 so I should be a long ways from empty still at 100 miles.
Also, I'm wondering is there a low fuel light that kicks on once you're really close?
http://www.fuelly.com/

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
For me it was just city/hwy driving with the occasional hard launch :) . For the most part though fairly easy riding, my concern is that I hit 1 bar and had only run about 105 miles or so. To me that just seems like either this thing is guzzling fuel or something is wrong with the gauge or sending unit?

I usually hit one bar around 120 miles. Then a second bar around 135. I'll usually hit a third bar quickly even though I hate to drink and ride.:p

·
Registered
136 Posts
Filled up today 84 miles and 3 of those were on the F trip.

Bike only runs in A mode.

I will say this gas tank sucks to fill up!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts