Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really excited about this bike, but...a 3.1 gallon tank? I hate owning a bike that gets less than 200 miles out of a tank. This would look like about 130 miles at best. Troublesome for those of us who want to do some touring.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It will not be that bad, if we can do about 160-170 miles it will be enough. with my present bike, i do about 190 with an 18l tank.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
It's NOT a 3.1 gal. tank....it's 3.7. I know, that's just slightly over a 1/2 gal difference, but if the bike gets MPG numbers in the low to mid 40's, then you've got a 130 to maybe 140 mile range before you will see a low fuel light or whatever. Pretty much, as this isn't going to be a commuter or L.D. touring bike for me, I'm totally OK with the smallish tank. When I want long distance, I break out the ST1300.......it's got a 7.7 gal tank and easily will eat up 300 miles before it needs fuel. By then, my butt is screaming for a break and saying threatening things to me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My bad, and maybe I need new glasses. Yeah, 3.7 is better, and it remains to be seen what sort of mileage the 9 will get, but I would settle for 160 mile range if everything else is great. Mileage in motorcycles seems to have suffered in favor of outright performance, so 40+ MPG is getting harder to find unless one buys something completely uninteresting, or a more focused touring bike. (Getting from one end of Hwy 36 to the other--Fortuna to Red Bluff--is sort of a benchmark in this part of the world.)

·
Registered
139 Posts
The same conversation has been going on for months now on ADV concerning the new Honda CB1100. It has a similar size tank, and many were saying,...not getting one, as the tank is too small. Funny how most of the complainers have since bought one and have mentioned nothing about not having enough fuel to enjoy a ride. 130 miles on a naked bike at highway speeds, here in Texas it's now mostly 75mph, it will be time to get off and take a breather from the wind blast. At least I know I will.. tp.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Lord knows that you need a rest after riding without a decent windscreen for any extended period.

I think that my tank is small in my car, and that I wish I could get a few more miles out of it until I am actually on a road trip, and really appreciate those stops for fuel. around 300 miles is just about perfect for my butt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My truck holds $100 worth of diesel. I think I'd rather stop more often. It's soul crushing to spend that much at once!

Anyway, I'm with Nick. 100 miles without a windscreen is a Long way.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
A 200 mile range would be an ideal minimum. It's a pain to stop and use a charge card 3 times a day on a fun ride. The credit card Co likes to turn off the card thinking it's stolen. To minimize this I keep fuel in the garage and top off before I leave on a bike with short range. I also end up paying cash, a modern inconvenience.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A 200 mile range would be an ideal minimum. It's a pain to stop and use a charge card 3 times a day on a fun ride. The credit card Co likes to turn off the card thinking it's stolen. To minimize this I keep fuel in the garage and top off before I leave on a bike with short range. I also end up paying cash, a modern inconvenience.
Two words: "Debit Card". You can use it a dozen times a day, with the proper pin#, with no problems. I don't have a gas card any longer and only use a CC if the station doesn't take a DC. Just me, though...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yamaha are quoted over here in UK (MCN) as claiming 53mpg and a theoretical tank range of 171miles
Is that Imperial gallons? Being larger than a US gallon, MPG ratings are always higher. Some companies list both #'s in their specs, now. 53 is what I average with my KLR650 single with US gallons. tp dd50

·
Registered
139 Posts
53 imperial mpg works out to ~44 u.s. mpg, which sounds about right.
Agree. I got low/mid 40's out of my 1050 Triumph triples. Guess RPM matters a lot, as I get similar mileage from the Dyna 96ci and R1200RT,

W

·
0 Posts
This is definitely not a touring bike. Look at an FZ8, 4.5 gallons @ 40 mpg, or any of quite a few others if this is at the top of your list. Not that one couldn't tour on it and my butt would definitely not be sitting on any bike longer than a couple of hours between fuel stops anyway.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I rode from Long Beach, CA to Anchorage, AK in May, one of many grueling trips, and I am fine with stopping every 130 miles for a stretch. It also help renew my concentration.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just in case anyone’s wondering….Here’s a good website that calculates conversions from Imperial gallons to US gallons:

Fuel Consumption Conversion Calculator

Sooooo, if the above MPG are in Imperial gallons (compliments of Mr. Robodene –Thank You Sir), then we’d have the following:

53 Imperial MPG = 44.13 US MPG. That would give us:

44.13 MPGs x 3.7 (fuel capacity tank) = 162.8 miles.

Really that’s not that bad. It’s not what I had hoped for…but I think I can live with a range of roughly 160 miles.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you think about it, Yamaha wanted this bike to really stand out. 115HP, 414lbs wet weight. The HP is easy to create today, but the weight not so easy. Instead of a 5 gallon tank, a smaller one will insure the total wet weight will be lower, KTM kinda low. The FZ and the older Super Duke (non R) compare rather closely in power to weight ratio, and that should help secure the FZ as a naked bad boy winner. Now the new KTM 1290 SDR, that's a whole nother ballgame. Who cares what the gas mileage is on it. It's as close to world super bike performance as one can get today. I want one of those so badly, well you understand, I know...

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you think about it, Yamaha wanted this bike to really stand out. 115HP, 414lbs wet weight. The HP is easy to create today, but the weight not so easy. Instead of a 5 gallon tank, a smaller one will insure the total wet weight will be lower, KTM kinda low. The FZ and the older Super Duke (non R) compare rather closely in power to weight ratio, and that should help secure the FZ as a naked bad boy winner. Now the new KTM 1290 SDR, that's a whole nother ballgame. Who cares what the gas mileage is on it. It's as close to world super bike performance as one can get today. I want one of those so badly, well you understand, I know...

I've logged quite a few miles on a SuperDuke, best bike I've ever ridden, snatchy throttle aside. Part of the appeal for me is that the FZ-09 seating position looks pretty much identical to the SD, feels perfect to me, like a big SuperMoto. The 1290 has got to be the most BadAss bike on the planet. I've been riding for 40 years, and I think I'd probably kill myself on that Beast. I know it'll be docile enough if your easy on the throttle, but I don't think I could manage much restraint on that thing. Probably loop the thing over backwards doing a 4th gear power wheelie at 110mph.! Well at least I'd go with a big ole s_it eating grin on my face.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
Two Words to describe the Super Duke..............BAD ASS! Wow!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts